Gran Turismo 5

I tried for about an hour, my best time right now is 2:24.260. I'm about to throw my controller at my monitor, I'm not going to try it anymore. I'll wait till I can get a better wheel before trying. I can see I can possibly shave a few hundreds here and there if I have more precise steering control, but I simply can't do with a controller.

The Mercedes Academy challenge is impossible. I'm only on the second challenge (Nurbergring section 2) and I couldn't go any faster than 2:26 no matter how aggressive I take the corners. The challenges are one of the major problem I have with this game, they expect everyone to have a G25 (or DrivingForce Pro), these challenges are impossible on the controller. I can't even cheat in this one by enabling the skid recovery force as it's greyed out. It's so frustrating. I have no problem if they made the unlock requirement bronze, but no, they require fucking gold to unlock, they really need to fix this. In the previous GT, except for the licneses, everything is possible to win on the controller. They need to realise not everyone can afford a 900 degree wheel.

It would be hard to race a real car with a controller also. ;) That shows you just how realistic this game is; driving a real car is easy enough, but with less control, it would be harder. Remember the Top Gear segment where James and Richard were driving those real cars with remote controls? Didn't look too easy, did it? This game needs to be played with a wheel to get the full experience. Sure you can go pretty fast with the controller, but with the added control of the wheel, you get more confidence of pushing the car even more towards its limits and shaving precious seconds off your time, which you need to do for those challenges.

You can get a DFP for pretty cheap these days, and a DFGT for not that much more. I suggest getting one because your experience with the game will be greatly improved.

Last edited:
I guess that's true. The physics in GT5 is more realistic than the previous games, but still, they could've made the requirements of winning the challenge to be silver or bronze instead of gold. That would let people who play with controller can get the unlocks too. I have a 270 degree DrivingForce wheel, but it doesn't feel right with this game. So I guess it'll be a while before I'll be able to unlock these tracks and cars.

I tried for about an hour, my best time right now is 2:24.260. I'm about to throw my controller at my monitor, I'm not going to try it anymore. I'll wait till I can get a better wheel before trying. I can see I can possibly shave a few hundreds here and there if I have more precise steering control, but I simply can't do with a controller.

Other pro tip.. invent short cuts. Once you get used to 120 on grass it can save some serious time!

I tried cutting a few corners, but it makes me slower. Maybe I'm not cutting the right corners.

Is this the challenge to unlock the Nurburgring Norschleiffe (Bronze), Type V (Silver) and 24h (Gold)? If so, does it really unlock anything, because since the last update it seems those 3 configurations are unlock by default.

Except for the fact that when you do enable the force feedback, the wheel will fight with you as soon as you apply any amount of opposite lock.

I haven't noticed this being a problem, but I think that's what the "Power Steering" option is supposed to reduce? I have it turned off. I actually had the force feedback turned way down initially but I had a lot of trouble finding the centerpoint after a tight turn or after losing control. It's now on 3, which seems about right (default is too strong).

But I'm still very much learning so maybe there is something I haven't come across yet.

Can't wait to see the new seasonal events tonight...

Money money money :D

Can't sleep annd its 3:30am... might as well wait for seasonals.

Maybe 1.06 today? :cool:

Last edited:
No new seasonals up yet. Either they forgot or theres something else planned. 1.06 maybe.

I just want them restricted again. :(

Yea, I mean they said they are releasing a patch in Feb, and it is Feb...

Yea, I mean they said they are releasing a patch in Feb, and it is Feb...

They also don't have the best reputation with release dates.

And speaking of updates, they said they want one per month. January came and went without an update.

I know the game doesn't simulate the clutch very well, but I'm struggling to row through the gears smoothly.

The hard part is getting the clutch and accelerator timing right. In GT5 it is far to easy to fuck this up and end up in neutral, as is shifting when the tyres are spinning, which is almost a guaranteed neutral. I got so sick the crappy manual simulation in GT5 that I switched to the paddles.

Every single time my B-Spec drivers come into the pits at Laguna Seca they go straight into the wall. My poor Lotus looks like a retarded fish...

Also, for some reason, whoever is the lowest level driver wants to come into the pits on every lap, despite having fresh tires and plenty of strength.

The hard part is getting the clutch and accelerator timing right. In GT5 it is far to easy to fuck this up and end up in neutral, as is shifting when the tyres are spinning, which is almost a guaranteed neutral. I got so sick the crappy manual simulation in GT5 that I switched to the paddles.

I'm starting to figure it out, the biggest remaining issue is braking for a hairpin after a long straight (multiple downshifts). My feet don't listen to me if I try to downshift while braking so I usually end up just jumping into the right gear after slowing down.... e.g. 5th to 2nd.

I also need to figure out how to countersteer without overcompensating.

As far as ending up in Neutral, it's happening less and less as I get used to the motions.

At least it's an excuse to tune up some cars and go through the early races again! I still can't handle my high powered rear wheel drive beasts but a fully tuned NC MX-5 is really easy to drive.

They also don't have the best reputation with release dates.

And speaking of updates, they said they want one per month. January came and went without an update.

I think the exact quote was "early to mid Feburary" unless I missed something I don't think they specifically said Feburary 1st.

And I'm pretty sure the quote about updates is "we CAN release updates every month" not "we WILL update every month". Again I could be wrong on that too though.

Either way I would expect 1.06 to be out in the next week or 2.

I think the exact quote was "early to mid Feburary" unless I missed something I don't think they specifically said Feburary 1st.

And I'm pretty sure the quote about updates is "we CAN release updates every month" not "we WILL update every month". Again I could be wrong on that too though.

Either way I would expect 1.06 to be out in the next week or 2.

Kaz said he WANTS to update every month.

Also, new cars in the Online Dealer. All rally cars. But no new seasonal events.