Gran Turismo 5

... which is a rumour until the present day. Actually, nobody knows. With every new Gran Turismo, some fans are only too eager to state that all cars of all previous GTs will be in the new game. Passed on from website to website, a rumour quickly becomes fact. So actually, we'll know when they'll tell us.

If you want to have my guess, I'd say GT5 will start with 300-350 cars and be "filled" with downloads constantly. The idea behind this is that it would make little sense to hold the game back for finishing more cars. I suppose they'd rather release the game, meanwhile finish more cars and then put them up as a download.

not to mention make them more money.

True on the side of Sony, but I'd doubt that's Kazunori Yamauchi's goal. He's simply a car nut and I'm sure that if it were up to him they'd be free downloads.

I agree with you. Kazunori has showed his love for cars many times. We haven't paid at all for the updates right? The Japanese users haven't paid for all the content from the Euro version (more cars and one more track). And we won't pay for the autumm update with the so awaited damage. So if we have to pay, it will have to do with Sony.

Anyway I think there will be about 500/600 cars in the final versions with periodical updates.

BTW it's been confirmed by Kazunori himself that one of the tracks in GT5 will be Madrid <_<
Why he had to choose such a boring city in Spain for a city track? :mad:
I wanted Barcelona! With it's clear blue skies and sandy beaches.... :rolleyes:

not to mention make them more money.
The Developers of Forza Motorsport have said that their DLC content (ie downloadable cars) cost more to make than they will get from selling them. Can't imagine it being different with GT5.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-134280.aspx
All technological requirements to render collision in GT5 are already in place and therefore technically not difficult to implement in the future.

-The possibility that GT5 may allow the customization and trading of vehicles "a la" Forza Motorsport

-Episodic content (i.e., updates) may be possible in GT5 although they are currently focusing strictly on Prologue at the moment.

-Polyphony is currently not entirely satisfied with Prologue's current online play, although they hope to address this in a fall update.

-In direct response to the interviewer's question: Polyphony is yet to determine how they will enrich the single-player experience in GT5 compared to earlier GT versions, although it is certain that the game will see the return of the Licensing system.

-Although the game is currently utilizing the full potential of the PlayStation3 (i.e, accurate vehicle physics, models, etc.), minor improvements will be made and evident in the future.

-Working toward releasing GT for PSP within the vicinity of GT5's release...and there may be some form of integration between the two versions.

-Kazunori Yamuchi finds it difficult to play any racing games (namely: Forza, Project Gotham) other than Gran Turismo [NOTE: Interpret as you see fit!]

-Kazunori Yamuchi favorite vehicle is the Ferrari 330 P4, although he unfortunately doesn't own one.

^ Re the customisation: I saw one preview video (probably linked in this thread somewhere) that mentioned the possibility of upgrades and additions to your cars, such as bonnets with big air intakes and things. The guy doing the presentation said that they were essentially building the cars bit by bit, in terms of the external components such as bodywork and rims being replaceable. I like the fantasy that one day they'll have a complete car full of moving parts, and instead of pressing X and the wheels spinning, instead you'll press X, the accelerator pedal will be pressed, that'll rev the engine which'll in turn cause the transmission to transfer rotation to the wheels... real life.

God knows how much computing power that would take, but hey, a man can dream...

^ Re the customisation: I saw one preview video (probably linked in this thread somewhere) that mentioned the possibility of upgrades and additions to your cars, such as bonnets with big air intakes and things. The guy doing the presentation said that they were essentially building the cars bit by bit, in terms of the external components such as bodywork and rims being replaceable. I like the fantasy that one day they'll have a complete car full of moving parts, and instead of pressing X and the wheels spinning, instead you'll press X, the accelerator pedal will be pressed, that'll rev the engine which'll in turn cause the transmission to transfer rotation to the wheels... real life.

God knows how much computing power that would take, but hey, a man can dream...
You know, actually if they can do that, they can make more realistic car problems and if you hood blows off you will see the engine working. :p

New Patch is out. Includes:

"?Spec II? Update Information (2)

Apr 15, 2008

Starting on Tuesday, April 15th, we have provided an update for ?Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec II?.
The main contents of this update are as follows:

Online play
- The award of race credits are now allocated at a fixed rate regardless of the number of race participants.
- The High Speed Ring course diagram has been fixed.
- Some online ID's were appearing in grey in the entry list, this has been amended.
- Some online opponents appeared to "blur", this has been amended.

Rankings

- Country and area information now appears next to the online ID in the ranking boards.
- Unusually high scores had been recorded in some Drift Trials, this has been rectified.
- When Drift Trial replays were saved, occasionally these appeared in the "Load as Ghost" option of Time Trials.
This has now been rectified.

Performance Points (PP)
- The method of calculating Performance Points has been revised, to balance vehicles in events with PP upper limits.

Miscellaneous

- LCD display has been added in the F2007 interior view.

- Some interiors and exteriors of some vehicle models have been revised.
- On occasion the Quick Tune gear ratio became impossible to reset in some cars, this has been amended.
- The manual has been updated.

Caution
- The button assignments will be reset when the update is applied.
- In line with the application of the update, all ranking data will also be reset.

* To update, you will need a Playstation 3 connected to the internet with a broadband connection, and "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue" (Either the Blu-ray disc version or downloaded version).

* All information listed in this website is for Japan. For information outside Japan, please refer to the website of your region."

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105299

I'm on my third try to download the damn patch. Come on!!!!:mad:

I can't seem to find a store here in America that's selling this. I can find online stores but not one I can actually go to, Walmart apparently isn't carrying this since their website says not available in stores. Not sure why since it's one of the most anticipated releases for the PS3. Kind of mad they aren't carrying it, really I can't believe they aren't carrying it.

EDIT: It's almost like retailers here don't realize today is the release date, seems like some are releasing it on Thursday and the ones who do know the 15th is the release date haven't changed their websites to show that it's released, they still show it as a pre-order and that means you can't check in-store availability.

Last edited:
I was so close to getting this. But couldn't justify the price considering I know a better version will be out without the Prologue name on it.

I went to Walmart and they had two spots for it right next to each other but no games. I'm thinking it might be Thursday since that's when Kmart is supposed to have it, they advertised it as being released on the 17th. Couple more days to wait I guess.

Finally got my hands on a US copy today, and all I can is WOW! the new additional cars make this a while different experience.

Me and my buddy each pick up our own copy (with free T shirt) today after class, we headed straight to my house with some snacks planning to rush through the different classes of races. After the initial install I was prompted with an update, surprisingly it finished on first try (took me many many tries on my Japanese version, maybe it's connecting to servers in US instead of Japan this time) and even maxed out my 8MB/s DSL internet download speed. We started around 3:30pm, it is now 12:51am and we JUST turned it off. Yup, 8+ hours of GT. :lol:

Last time I've played with Prologue was almost exactly a month ago, I sold my Japanese copy locally when US car list was first released (keep it mind that at this time no one knew if Japanese version was going to get an update or not), so my last impressions are from pre-Spec II Japanese version.

Oh, before I forget. Logitech G25 owners: Spec II update sets steering mode to amature. Make sure you set it to simulation under Settings > Driving Force Pro settings.

My first car was the Focus, although I later realized that the Integra Type-R would have been a better choice (hint), I wanted to try out something different as I have already driven the Integra to death in the Japanese version. Right away it was clear that AI have been further improved since the Spec II update, it was already pretty decent to begin with (they do try to avoid contact), but now they actually move out of your way and even sometimes come to almost complete stop when other cars spins out and blocks the track. Engine sounds have also improved as well, I haven't done much comparisons yet because I am still trying out new cars, but it was really noticeable on the DC5 Type-R. There are also a few small tweaks, such as able to change car in race selection screen, new race events layout, etc. If you have never played the Japanese version you most likely wont notice.

One thing that's a bit disappointing as a hardcore GT player: the single player race difficulty seems to had been massively down-tuned for the US version. While taking turns, both me and my friend were able to finished all C, B and one race from completion in A class races in little less than 5 hours with only a handfull of race-required cars (with many repeated races to earn money for few cars we wanted). We have both already previously finished Japanese Prologue, but this was by far much easier.

What made it easy was lack of penalties. If I remember correctly, Japanese version has very strict penalty system that penalize you for bumping into other cars, running into walls, and cutting corners from the very beginning of the game (C class races), they require players to race properly and search for miller-second improvements in their lap time without any contacts. But in the US version, there's no penalties of any sort all the way from C to A class races. It's completely different here, you can use AI as walls and cut through S turns. This is not a problem to those of us we who play racing simulators like how simulators should be played, but this, in my opinion, takes away some of the simulation-ness away from an already fairly mainstreamed simulator. My guess is that they believe the original system would have been much to difficult to appeal to the general American market (gamers). Same had been done before, races in Gran Turismo 1 were sped up for the Americans.

If anyone playing the US version wondering why it's this easy, now you know.

There are still many things I have yet to mess with: S-races, on-the-fly adjustments, Quick Tune Menu and Drift Mode etc. But right now, I am just having too much fun testing out all the new cars.

Viper, if you are still considering, you NEED this game! (oh and a G25 too :mrgreen:)

* If anyone's wondering, yes, Beyond the Apex documentary is in GT-TV as soon as you start the game.
** For those of you in the US, here's a 10% off coupon at Circuit City usable (April 17-19) both in-store and online.

Last edited:
^Man the videos of the Ferrari F1 car at that place kind of put the PS3 F1 game to shame, except for the sound since that's far to high pitched for the current F1 V8's.

Viper, if you are still considering, you NEED this game! (oh and a G25 too :mrgreen:)

I have a Logitech Momo which I hear works, but I usually just use the controller.

Although I'm seriously considering just waiting until GT5 Final comes out to get a PS3.

I tried the new Logitech Driving Force GT today. It feels much lighter than the old Driving Force Pro on GT's heavy setting, maybe a little too light. The on the fly dial and buttons are a nice feature makes it easy if you forget to turn TCS off. It's not really worth an upgrading from the old Driving Force Pro, unless yours is broken :p.

Although I'm seriously considering just waiting until GT5 Final comes out to get a PS3.

me too actually. I'm hoping there'll be a bundle coming out with a PS3+GT5 Final + maybe other goodies (wireless controller or wheel) for a nice price

when's the final version of GT5 due? It sucks buying something for 400? now and then paying another 50? in 6 months time to get the "full" game.