Gran Turismo 5

Meh, I downloaded GT5 Prologue yesterday and I have that say, I'm not too impressed. The cars seems fine, graphics fine, the GUI is fine and all that.
But, when you push a car to the limit it just snaps off. It's fine when are going around a track normally tho.

Another thing I'm not too keen on is the lack of sense of speed.

Meh, I'll stick to Forza Motorsport 2.

Meh, I downloaded GT5 Prologue yesterday and I have that say, I'm not too impressed. The cars seems fine, graphics fine, the GUI is fine and all that.
But, when you push a car to the limit it just snaps off. It's fine when are going around a track normally tho.

same feelings as me

Had a quick try in a shop today (full setup with chair, wheel and pedals) and that's exactly the same thing that put me off aswell: When the screen indicated that the car was going 140mph, it felt more like 50 or 60. I can't f'ing believe something as essential as the feeling of speed is lacking to such a degree :mad:

For those who have watched Beyond the Apex, the American rally driver Tanner Foust thats in the video about midway through is rumored to be one of the hosts of the American Top Gear.

I have the American Blu-ray disc of GT5-p and the only videos in GT TV are the intro movie and Beyond the Apex. Where are the TopGear vids? Where's the GTR video? Do I have to download them from somewhere, or are they not available for North America?

The videos are on your BluRay disc, however, they have to be "enabled" for play by PD. I suppose they will be soon.

And the driving experience certainly has changed compared to previous games. The sense of speed very much depends on the view. It has never been brilliant in any Gran Turismo though.
And some cars really are difficult to drive in professional mode. But then again, who would expect to be able to throw a Ford GT into a curve at a too high speed and then it just somehow sorts itself out.

Actually, the way cars enter/exit over steer is exactly what kept me away from truly enjoying FM2. I am far from an expert (maybe someone more experienced can chip in), but from my (limited) experience with a few different RWD cars (IRL), there's always an over steer "surge" when initially breaking traction loose that you need to catch to maintain the slide (especially light-weight, short wheel base, or cars with sensitive steering), when regaining traction and exiting a slide, weight transfer of the car will result in a "jerk" both in the rear end and the steering wheel. In my opinion, both of these are lacking in FM2. If this is the "snap" you are talking about, maybe you are basing too much of your opinion on FM2's physics engine? Every games' physics engine behaves differently and you need to give it some time to learn it, simply because no one has the technology to simulate car physics down to perfection, you just need to decide which one is closer to real life.

Just to be sure, are you talking about GT5 Prologue (retail) or GT5 Prologue Demo? If you are talking about the demo, then I completely agree with you about sense of speed, but it's no longer a problem in the retail Prologue.

Last edited:

I've played both games and I can't find any BIG difference in sense of speed terms. Probably that's because you are used to FM2 and changing from one game to another gives you this sense of lack of speed. But try playing qiute a few times with GT5P and you WILL definetly feel the sense of speed.

About the physycs I say it's down to personal opinion. For example to me the cars in Forza feel too light. IMO you can't feel the weight of the car and how it affects the handling. But that's down to my personal opinion.

But...<_<

The graphics are only fine? C'mon GT5P OWNS FM2. That engine it's simply superb.

BTW where the heck it's the Beyond the Apex Documentary in the Euro version! :mad:

BTW where the heck it's the Beyond the Apex Documentary in the Euro version! :mad:
Seems to be US BluRay only. :cry:

To be honest I had to wrap my head and my driving around the new physics as well. It took me some time, but it feels great when you can actually do it. What you need to do is be careful with the cars, balance them gently with the steering, throttle and brake. It's then when they become brilliant. Stop working against them, start working with them, and you'll see they'll start to work with you.

Seems to be US BluRay only. :cry:

To be honest I had to wrap my head and my driving around the new physics as well. It took me some time, but it feels great when you can actually do it. What you need to do is be careful with the cars, balance them gently with the steering, throttle and brake. It's then when they become brilliant. Stop working against them, start working with them, and you'll see they'll start to work with you.

:clap:

I couldn't have said it better.

I tried to play online the other day and I really didn't like it.

When you are in easy and intermediate modes, all the other people do is hitting you when you pass them... and I can't really appreciate the pro mode as I don't have a wheel to really handle the power of the cars in pro physics.

Well ... I'm sorry I have to say that, but to get the full experience, you really have to have a wheel now. The Prologue experience in standard mode is pretty similar to what it used to be in previous versions, but pro physics and a wheel just take it to a new level you're missing out.

I tried to play online the other day and I really didn't like it.

When you are in easy and intermediate modes, all the other people do is hitting you when you pass them... and I can't really appreciate the pro mode as I don't have a wheel to really handle the power of the cars in pro physics.

You really have to play on Professional races, to race agains some competent people. There are also a lot of douchebags with their modified Evo X's (God I hate so much that car right now:mad:) and many other cars but you can do some pretty good races there. And earn a lot of money!!! :D

I've won about 400.000 credits only by racing online. Now I'm about to buy the Ferrari F40!!! :D

I've already bought the F40 and it's awesomely hard to drive without a wheel but it's great fun :-D

The only problem I have with buying a wheel is that it would be kind of a waste of money... I don't have the PS3 with me during the weeks, only on weekends... so I don't play enough to justify spending 129? (I would buy the old Driving Force Pro)...

I've already bought the F40 and it's awesomely hard to drive without a wheel but it's great fun :-D

The only problem I have with buying a wheel is that it would be kind of a waste of money... I don't have the PS3 with me during the weeks, only on weekends... so I don't play enough to justify spending 129? (I would buy the old Driving Force Pro)...

To tell you the truth, 95% of the time I play with the controller. I've got my Driving Force (Which I bought about 3 years ago for about 70?) but I'm too lazy to set up the wheel everytime I want to play. Of course the experience changes completely with a Wheel, specially a good one. But I learnt to play GT with a controller so I'm pretty used to playing with one. And I've got no problem at all winning other people online who play with wheels. It's all down to your skills.

If you really think about buying a Wheel but the Driving Force Pro it's too expensive, try to find a Driving Force. They are at bargain prices and it also works pretty well (Yes I know! It doesn't have 900? steering and many other things. But it isn't bad at all)

EDIT: BTW has anyone bought the Aston Martin DB9? It has the prettiest interiors ever!

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, 95% of the time I play with the controller. I've got my Driving Force (Which I bought about 3 years ago for about 70?) but I'm too lazy to set up the wheel everytime I want to play. Of course the experience changes completely with a Wheel, specially a good one. But I learnt to play GT with a controller so I'm pretty used to playing with one. And I've got no problem at all winning other people online who play with wheels. It's all down to your skills.

If you really think about buying a Wheel but the Driving Force Pro it's too expensive, try to find a Driving Force. They are at bargain prices and it also works pretty well (Yes I know! It doesn't have 900? steering and many other things. But it isn't bad at all)

EDIT: BTW has anyone bought the Aston Martin DB9? It has the prettiest interiors ever!

I was seeing those Driving Force on ebay or amazon, they are indeed quite cheap, I have to think about it :-D

Yeah the f40 is relatively difficult to drive, I do love how it seems to have turbo lag :D

I've got a logitec g25 I should try with it really