Gran Turismo 5

After playing GT4 for a good amount of time over the past few years driving in the GT5 demo feels like I'm learning to drive for the first time. Improved physics maybe but damn it's touchy and the grass and sand traps are a bitch to get off of.

This year in summary.

January

* GT5 Prologue was shown running in full ?3D? at the Consumer Electronics Show, used to show off a prototype of Sony?s 3D display technology. I saw it myself and it was extremely impressive.
* Winner of the first GT Academy, Lucas Ordonez, successfully competes in the 24 Hours of Dubai.

February

* We get a close-up look at Circuit de La Sarthe, via game-play footage of the track running in GT5 Prologue.

March

* Polyphony Digital?s Citroen GT super car gets set for production.

April

* Word hits the web that Gran Turismo 5 will be playable only in ?B-Spec Mode?. (Just kidding!)
* The Internet heats up after our long-respected insider, Amar212, reveals many exciting tidbits about the future of the Gran Turismo series. Discussing everything from the then un-announced Gran Turismo PSP to a mysterious track-editor in GT5, Amar?s words are still referenced today as we try to fit all the pieces of the puzzle together?

May

* Kazunori Yamauchi casually mentions night racing and ?weather changes? for Gran Turismo 5 in an interview published by Audi.
* A leaked video from the PlayStation Qore magazine confirms that Gran Turismo PSP will be released alongside the new PSP Go hardware.

June

* Gran Turismo PSP is officially announced and dated, and its first video trailer is released.
* Gran Turismo 5 is officially announced during Sony?s press conference at E3 2009, and we finally get our first look at the game in a new trailer. In addition to the updated visuals, the video also confirmed the WRC and NASCAR licenses, along with our very first look at the game?s new damage rendering.
* In three different interviews (here, here, and here), Kazunori Yamauchi reiterates that Polyphony Digital can ?release [Gran Turismo 5] whenever we want?, leading many to suspect a 2009 release date.

July

* GTPlanet expands to Facebook and Twitter, which have become two very popular extensions of the site with several thousand followers and fans. (Thanks again, guys!)
* Yamauchi emphasizes that the GT5 trailer shown off at E3 in June showed a ?very small portion? of the game.

August

* GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline a December 2009 release date for Gran Turismo 5.
* The infamous automotive brands of Lamborghini and Bugatti finally come to the Gran Turismo series.
* GT5 Prologue sells 4 million copies.
* The very first game-play footage of Gran Turismo 5 hits the web via a demo shown off at GamesCom.
* Yamauchi states that Gran Turismo 5 will be released ?shortly after? Gran Turismo PSP.
* A brochure distributed by Sony at GamesCom shows the game is scheduled for release in the ?fourth quarter? of 2009.

September

* Early reviews of Gran Turismo PSP are lukewarm, with most commentators disappointed with the open structure of the game and a lack of ?career mode?.
* A surprise Gran Turismo 5 trailer is discovered in GT PSP.
* A breathtaking video showcasing the Ferrari 458 Italia in Gran Turismo 5 is released, providing a glimpse of new landscapes in the game.
* During a press conference at the Tokyo Game Show, Kazunori Yamauchi announces a March 2010 release date for GT5 in Japan, providing quite an unexpected shock for many fans.

October

* 5 years after it was first announced, Gran Turismo PSP is released worldwide.
* A secret and still-unpublished GT5 video is shown to a select group of journalists, showing off what was described as very impressive and improved damage model.
* A new GT5 video showing the Toyota FT-86 Concept is released, giving a peek at what appears to be yet another new mountainous road in the game.
* Yamauchi comments that they?re working on a ?brand new? damage model for GT5 ? a curious remark after some people criticized the game-play damage modeling shown off at GamesCom earlier in the year.
* In a clip that?s supposed to be showing off the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, we catch a glimpse of GT5?s box art on what appears to be a boxed-set large enough to contain three separate discs. Speculation abounds?
* Yamauchi casts doubt on night racing and weather will eventually make it into GT5.

November

* The month starts out with a bang, as a Sony marketing manager casually mentions that ?you can create tracks? in Gran Turismo 5, confirming what our own insider had told us about months earlier.
* Kazunori Yamauchi hints at what may be a ?rewind? feature in GT5.
* Yamauchi comments that Gran Turismo 5?s ?weather system? is ?done?, but emphasizes that he?s still not sure if it will make it into the final game or not, citing issues of ?quality?.

December

* The Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge and the second GT Academy are officially announced, to be played out in a new demo showcasing GT5?s new physics engine at the new Indianpolis Motor Speedway circuit.
* An SCEA producer for the Gran Turismo franchise mentions a ?Summer 2010? North American release date for GT5.
* On Christmas day, new GT5 city tracks located in Rome and Madrid are revealed in a new video.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismos-ups-and-downs-in-2009/#more-4798

GT Planet said:
Our own user Digital-Nitrate has discovered an early copy of the February issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine, and it?s got some pretty incredible news! Indy (?IRL?) cars have been confirmed, in addition to ?weather effects, as well as night racing for all tracks?! We?re still digging through the rest of the article, but you can read through the pages for yourself in the images below.

F*CK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :woot:

100_7230-1.jpg

100_7231-1.jpg

100_7232-1.jpg

100_7233-1.jpg

100_7234-1.jpg

Heres the rest that got confirmed in that article.

* 1,000+ vehicles
* All vehicles have modeled cockpits (170 premium cars will have interior damage modeling)
* All vehicles will have both physical and mechanical damage modeling
* Indy (IRL) cars and tracks
* NASCAR cars and track
* Up to 16 players online
* High-definition video uploads directly to YouTube
* Multi-display rendering
* Head-tracking
* Full weather and night racing on all tracks
* Night/Day on all tracks

Yes, this is good news. It is actually better than BMW X6. <poor joke :p>

There is still one thing that bothers me...

Will I be able to drive the Volvo 240 around the Nurburgring... (somehow I doubt that it is in the game!) that was the only car I ever truely mastered on GT4... loved that game. Can't wait for this one, weather and night, should be awesome

I think most, if not all, cars from GT4 will be in the game. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the cars were ported.

Wait, wait wait.

Good news about GT5?!

*crosses fingers*CAR PAINTING SYSTEM LIKE FORZA PLZ PLZ PLZ *crosses fingers*

The latest Top Gear episode made me want a Lexus LFA in GT5...

Official box art:

gran-turismo-5-boxart-official.jpg

And some new SLS renderings

I think i just had a orgasm.

@whappeh, i really want a car painting system. If they do install it, believe you me, all of my cars will be painted shiny black, save for the odd silver and red ones.

After playing GT4 for a good amount of time over the past few years driving in the GT5 demo feels like I'm learning to drive for the first time. Improved physics maybe but damn it's touchy and the grass and sand traps are a bitch to get off of.

i have always hated that. i know the grass can be difficult but i have never been sucked into grass on a track like i have been in video games. also, its not always easy, if at all possible in some cases to even get out of a sand trap.

I'm disappointed. Not in the game - that looks fucking amazing, but in a mixture of things.

If we go back ages, back to when GT5 was first announced, then account for the time between then and now, I now own a PS3, Logitech G25 and HDTV. I then also turned 17, learned to drive and passed my test. But most of all, I went off gaming. The PS3 now sits in the living room and not the playroom. I will (hopefully) be going to uni at the end of this year, and probably won't be taking the PS3 with me, as I wouldn't have space for it.

Considering this was one of the games I bought the PS3 for, I am not 100% sure I will buy it. If I am forced to take a gap year, I will do, but if I go off, I'm not sure.