Gran Turismo 5

I was thinking I'd reassign lights to that button, because then at least it looks amusing in replays.

So I played the game for just about 8 hours yesterday, no wonder I was getting frustrated with the license tests.

Currently the online services of Gran Turismo 5 (GT5) is experiencing some extreme online traffic congestion.

Because GT5 performs online access not only when participating in online races and using community features, but also when starting the game and during the various screen displays in GT Mode, unfortunately this online congestion is also affecting standard gameplay.

If you are experiencing the following symptoms, we recommend that you temporarily play GT5 without connecting the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to the network.

(A) If you are finding it takes several minutes before being able to perform any actions in the following screens:

- Before the start of the opening movie, immediately after launching the game
- At the top screen after the game has started
- In various screens within GT Mode

(B) Or, when it takes several minutes or more to gain a result when the following operations are performed:

- When entering the open lobby, if it takes several minutes or more before the room list is acquired and displayed.
- When clicking on an ID in the participant list of a room, if it takes several minutes or more before the menu appears.
- When writing on the message boards within "Community", if it is taking several minutes or more for your posts to appear.

* Also, some of the following features have been limited intentionally as a measure to temporarily alleviate some of the network traffic. Due to these limitations, you will find that:
- The viewing and update of the [Log] in the Community section of GT Mode has been temporarily disabled.
- Changes to the Profile may not update in some cases.
- Changes to the Friend List may not update in some cases.

Currently we are simultaneously working on several different solutions to improve the network status and alleviate the network congestion as soon as possible. We are expecting to be able to provide a proper online service again soon.

We sincerely apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.

Reference Information
Temporary measures you can take for playing Offline

The following are procedures for preventing the PS3 from accessing the network when playing GT5.
Please note the steps introduced here are only temporary procedures you can take until the network conditions are improved.

(1) If GT5 is currently running, please quit the game.

(2) Go to [Settings] -> [Network Connections] -> [Internet Connection] and switch the selection to [Disabled]

(3) Start GT5.

Just pay to park in Crown Central's carpark you cheapskate.:p
Yeah, I am a cheapskate. I spend $77 on a game but I don't want to spend another $2 on parking :p So I parked around the corner in a free 15 minute zone, but it took me over 25 minutes to get back to the car... just as the parking ranger was walking past :lol:

Anyway, I digress, back to GT5. I'm not great at this game yet, I've been playing GT4 for a while and the physics are different enough to be having understeer where I wouldn't be having understeer and such. The European Classic Car race is a pain, because no matter what I do, I cannot beat that Europa with my Alpine.

Last edited:
Been playing the game for awhile and it's great. My major complaint (like others have mentioned) is the complete inability to recover from oversteer. It was the same way in GT5P, and it's still here in GT5. Upgrading the tires certainly helps, but for license tests where you can't it's just an awful experience.

Been playing the game for awhile and it's great. My major complaint (like others have mentioned) is the complete inability to recover from oversteer. It was the same way in GT5P, and it's still here in GT5. Upgrading the tires certainly helps, but for license tests where you can't it's just an awful experience.

Are you playing with a wheel? I did just fine with the S2000 in the B-License. I had oversteer, corrected, still got the gold time...

I'm not too good yet but im sure its doable with a controller, I've caught many a slide. the hardest part is learning to brake without abs.

How are you guys fairing in that Toyota Vitz/Yaris challenge? The one I received as a prize was so slow, I had to chip, turbo (cheapest), change the oil, add a sports exhaust, and upgrade the engine to level 1 to get 1st place. That track had a very long straight and if I managed to overtake everyone else before the straight in the stock car, everyone would just overtake me on the straight! :lol:

I even tried to block the other cars on the straight, but when I was blocking one car, another passed, and another, and another...:lol:

So if you want a chance to get 1st place in that race, take the one you got as a prize, and tune it up (only power, don't bother with anything else) to get around 120hp and that should be enough.

Has ANYONE got gold on the top gear challenges yet? I find them extremely difficult. I managed to get bronze in the lotus one, but I cannot finish the samba one at all :lol:

The physics feel very good. I really enjoy driving on this game. For instance, doing the AMG driving school at the nurburgring and driving the whole nordshliefe...makes me feel like....well...."a driving god!" It is difficult, but not unmanageable. Oversteer (especially the snapping variety) seems to be fairly prevalent, but I don't think it is irrecoverable.

Last edited:
Finally did a night time race (in the FF challenge).

That with the custom soundtrack made me extremly happy in the pants department. Love it.

Got gold for both beginner and intermediate on the top gear challenges. Beginner took a few attempts and intermediate took over 1 hour :p
With the challenges the other drivers will take the same line, make the same mistake each and every time so you just you just have to learn and remember where to pass and avoid the other drivers.

Has ANYONE got gold on the top gear challenges yet? I find them extremely difficult. I managed to get bronze in the lotus one, but I cannot finish the samba one at all :lol:
Got gold on the combi challenge. ;)

Finally did a night time race (in the FF challenge).

That with the custom soundtrack made me extremly happy in the pants department. Love it.

I was not impressed by that night-time race. It really reminds me of GT2. Have you noticed that cars in your review mirrors don't have headlights on? Looking backwards shows that they do. The headlights should really be causing a blinding effect in the mirrors to convey realism.

How are you guys fairing in that Toyota Vitz/Yaris challenge? The one I received as a prize was so slow, I had to chip, turbo (cheapest), change the oil, add a sports exhaust, and upgrade the engine to level 1 to get 1st place. That track had a very long straight and if I managed to overtake everyone else before the straight in the stock car, everyone would just overtake me on the straight! :lol:

I even tried to block the other cars on the straight, but when I was blocking one car, another passed, and another, and another...:lol:

So if you want a chance to get 1st place in that race, take the one you got as a prize, and tune it up (only power, don't bother with anything else) to get around 120hp and that should be enough.

I chipped and did other mods to the prize Yaris. I was still overtaken by the 1.0 litres on the straight somehow. I finally managed to block them all in behind me, although I had 4 in a row in my mirror basically touching my bumper as I crossed the line.

First race, best lap of 2:55 around Leguna Seca...I suck

Are you playing with a wheel? I did just fine with the S2000 in the B-License. I had oversteer, corrected, still got the gold time...

Yeah I have a wheel (DFGT). Not having a problem with B and A licenses. The best example I can think of is the Elise Top Gear challenge. Without aids and with those tires, that car is utterly impossible to manage. Also, any RWD car with comfort tires behaves like this. Even my 63hp Mazda Autozam.

How are you guys fairing in that Toyota Vitz/Yaris challenge? .

I had the same issues. That prize car is slow as shit, there's no way it can keep up on the long straights of Fuji without modding.

I golded the VW one on the first try. There's a lot of section where the AI overbreaks and you just have to dive in and take advantage. The Elise one is ridiculous though, I know I can gold it but it's not worth pulling my hair out over.

I chipped and did other mods to the prize Yaris. I was still overtaken by the 1.0 litres on the straight somehow. I finally managed to block them all in behind me, although I had 4 in a row in my mirror basically touching my bumper as I crossed the line.

I went into that race not knowing I was outclassed. It was tight, but I only managed to finish 4th. It was a real dirty race though. I don't think I will waste money to upgrade a Vitz at this point.

Oh god, I was trying that challenge for the past 2 hours and couldn't get past 4th. I have the '07 Vitz (my first car, don't ask me why) thinking that would've been sufficient enough, but boy was I wrong :lol: I'm fine in the turns, but in the long straights, I'm being overtaken left, right and centre. I tried to swerve around to block the other racers, but they either somehow manage to squeeze past me or spin me out :mad: I'm gonna try souping up the prize Yaris I got, like Ilpav suggested to see if that makes a difference. :lol:

Last edited:
I bought a Renaultsport Megane. Hey, I needed some kind of hot hatch, wanted something premium. Anyway, I gave it aroundabouts 300 hp, but did no work to the suspension and didn't replace the tires. It is hilariously undrivable. Understeer is the only steer.

Then I tried it on B-spec, my driver couldn't keep it on the road. I actually could, in spite of the worst handling in the world. I'm smarter than a computer, I feel proud.