Gran Turismo 5

Manage to pick up my copy tonight, but only had a few minutes to try it out.

First impressions, meh. Rather underwhelm.

First scientific conclusion, I am faster in a 120hp Mazda Miata NA than in a 620hp McLaren F1 :lol:

Depends on the car, but that does sound slow.
In my stock '89 Miata at practice, I managed a 1:55. A nice rendering of my favorite track, but iRacing's is far superior.

I think I crashed on every corner.... :D

That freakin' Elise in the Top Gear challenge is simply undriveable without driving aids. Seriously, I don't think the real car oversteers massively every time you brake into a corner...:blink:

With traction control on 5 and the other 2 aids on full, I managed to get gold beating the second place car by 0.025 seconds! :lol: The VW van challenge was pretty easy to gold for me. :)

Has ANYONE got gold on the top gear challenges yet? I find them extremely difficult. I managed to get bronze in the lotus one, but I cannot finish the samba one at all :lol:

The physics feel very good. I really enjoy driving on this game. For instance, doing the AMG driving school at the nurburgring and driving the whole nordshliefe...makes me feel like....well...."a driving god!" It is difficult, but not unmanageable. Oversteer (especially the snapping variety) seems to be fairly prevalent, but I don't think it is irrecoverable.

I have gold on the first two Top gear challenges, haven't unlocked the third.

That freakin' Elise in the Top Gear challenge is simply undriveable without driving aids. Seriously, I don't think the real car oversteers massively every time you brake into a corner...:blink:

With traction control on 5 and the other 2 aids on full, I managed to get gold beating the second place car by 0.025 seconds! :lol: The VW van challenge was pretty easy to gold for me. :)

Driving the car is pretty straight forward (even without the horrible aids), it's the retarded penalty system that gets me. Having the ai cars lose control and having them smash into you results in a dsq, which is very annoying since they always lose control on the 2nd to last.

In other news, the 458 sounds glorious when stock. I've converted mine into a racecar through mods though, so it sounds much less glorious.

Last edited:
Re: Vitz challenge. I haven't tried it yet but since I was outclassed on a straight in another race, in my modified car, by another car of the same model, I think it's safe to say the AI mods its cars too.

TG Van challenge, don't break on the second to last corner, you'll gain 5 places :lol:

EDIT: And in case anyone missed it, the reason for the absurdly undriveable Elises is that they have the worst tires in the game on them.

Last edited:
Re: Vitz challenge. I haven't tried it yet but since I was outclassed on a straight in another race, in my modified car, by another car of the same model, I think it's safe to say the AI mods its cars too.

TG Van challenge, don't break on the second to last corner, you'll gain 5 places :lol:

EDIT: And in case anyone missed it, the reason for the absurdly undriveable Elises is that they have the worst tires in the game on them.

The elise has a lot of lift off oversteer, avoid lifting off and it's just another car on low grip tyres.

This game is so cleverly a Playstation exclusive. Games as good as this is what makes me want to buy a PS3.

This game is so cleverly a Playstation exclusive. Games as good as this is what makes me want to buy a PS3.

Gran Turismo is essentially why I bought both PS2 and PS3.

It's amazing what a well-picked exclusive title can do for console sales...

The AI has annoyed me greatly so far. In the Clubman Challenge, I had a 1990 Toyota Supra. It was faster than most of the field, so I didn't need to drive like a maniac to get to the front. Even so, sitting behind other cars, being careful when merging and so on, doesn't work for the others. On Tokyo R246, they AI caused me to crash catastrophically 3 times. One on the last corner of the last lap, where a Celica continuously rammed into my rear wing while I drove in a straight line, effectively PITing me. The rest of the field then crashed into me and went by, leaving me in 12th place when I was in 3rd.

I have been playing this for some hours now and I love it! I regret I ever wanted to cancel my pre-order.
Just bought myself a C63 AMG and it is just as mental as Clarkson said it was in S10E10. Just playing with the controller and I have still managed to get 50/50 silver/gold on the license tests and the specials.
I just have one tiny remark, the rear-view mirror is quite bad graphics-wise. You don?t see any smoke or headlights and the track looks really compressed. Hope they fix it with a patch though.
9/10 from me so far, I?m level 12.

^ You win a C63 if you Silver the 3rd AMG Special thing (Wet Nurburgring with the 300SL)

I'm now doing the last Top Gear Special. It's Kubelwagen's, but some start on the other side of the track so you have to avoid them. You only have to overtake 7 more to gold though, instead of 15 more.

EDIT: Tip for the last Top Gear Event. Don't let the Kubelwagen hit the rev limiter, you lose 5mph and then you have to re accelerater which takes ages. Instead, keep tapping the throttle at 49-50mph so you don't hit the limiter.

Last edited:
I can tell y?all the Elise Top Gear challenge was a real bitch to get gold in when driving with my Dualshock 3. God, I really must save cash and buy myself a wheel. Guess getting gold will be so much easier then.

"GURAN TURISMO 5!!!"

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :cool:

Postman was 90 minutes late and now I have to go out. :(

Last edited:
When I put the game in, I had the update and then the hard drive install. I clicked ok and left the house, loaded the game up and in the options menu theres a 'pre-install main game data' button. I pressed it, "should take 50 mins" It took 5.

Is this the initial set-up, that i did earlier?