Gran Turismo 5

sigh, fuck close racing. You try to hang close to AI's tailgate and even scratch it, AI comes off the throttle and you're stuck in the AI's rear end like super glue while everyone passes you. AI has also gotten quite professional in pit manouvres. All this really keeps me motivated with close racing, yeah right. From now on I'll just get something that'll lap everyone before second lap.

Also, NASCAR without a steering wheel had me most pissed off at a game in a while. Whenever you're close racing with the opponents and you even minimally change your line mid-corner you touch the AI cars and either lose your speed or get pit manouvre'd. And trying to hold a steady line is pretty fucking annoying with the pad.

sigh, fuck close racing. You try to hang close to AI's tailgate and even scratch it, AI comes off the throttle and you're stuck in the AI's rear end like super glue while everyone passes you.

I hate that, the car dies. Hitting a barrier has the same glue effect.

EDIT: Sik recieved the 2nd Avantime fine, so whenever he's finished he can send it straight on to the next guy.

Last edited:
I was just doing to Top Gear VW Van challenge and the AI knocked over what seemed like twenty cones right in front of my face. I even so much as nudge one and I'm disqualified. This game feels rushed even after the 6 year wait.

There are actually only certain cones you can't hit, namely, the smaller dark red ones.

So I'm gathering, from reading these threads, its that GT5 is more of the same from the GT series. Better graphics, more cars (despite having a ton of Evos, GT-Rs, and GTOs.. more than their needs to be), and damage (even though its implementation is inconsistent between all the cars.. ie premium, premium race, and standard cars all have different damage models). The same AI, the same bounce-off-the-walls-for-more-speed physics, impossible AI (in that they can do anything and get away with it, but you die if you do the same things), sticky bumpers (any car contact causes you to, seemingly, be locked together), lounge music, and more license tests.
?

So I'm gathering, from reading these threads, its that GT5 is more of the same from the GT series. Better graphics, more cars (despite having a ton of Evos, GT-Rs, and GTOs.. more than their needs to be), and damage (even though its implementation is inconsistent between all the cars.. ie premium, premium race, and standard cars all have different damage models). The same AI, the same bounce-off-the-walls-for-more-speed physics, impossible AI (in that they can do anything and get away with it, but you die if you do the same things), sticky bumpers (any car contact causes you to, seemingly, be locked together), lounge music, and more license tests.
?

Close. The AI is improved if still not ideal, as are the collision physics. But you can still play bumper cars (at lower levels at least, I know you do unlock consequential damage at some point, not sure if that will put a stop to it).

The physics outside of collisions is vastly improved, pretty similar to Forza actually from what little I've played of it.

Me and Sik are currently maxing Veyrons on SS7, you can change the 'max speed' in the gearbox but not individual ratios?
Not to gloat, but my Veyron is considerably faster than his and hit the limiter at 269. :cool:

Also not to be a dick, but I joined a random room and killed a Zonda R and a McLaren F1. :cool:

Best game ever. :lol:

Hitting the barriers seem to take away more speed than in previous games I think, if you hit them the way most punters hit them your car gets sucked in seemingly, like a wall should when you are touching them and going fast.
How are you managing to spin in that manner? It sounds you're getting oversteer then over correcting it and spinning the opposite way.
That is what was happening to me at Laguna Seca approaching the Corkscrew, the car gets unbalanced by the crest so that as I am trying to brake for the corkscrew itself the back is unsettled a little and the camber of the corner along with braking creates more oversteer than I can correct for and the front plows into the barrier. I've tried adjusting the diff, suspension, brake bias, and my approach to the corner and none of it helped.

It sounds like I made the right decision to cancel my preorder. I can't go anywhere without hearing about the lack of attention to detail in some areas or the annoying bugs this game has. They must have spent 4 1/2 years designing the cover and half of this year developing the game. I would much rather have 200 cars and have everything polished to perfection that have 800 half-ass cars to choose from.

Does the track surface feel as slippery as it did in the 370Z demo? That was pain in the ass to drive fast on, especially with a controller.

It sounds like I made the right decision to cancel my preorder. I can't go anywhere without hearing about the lack of attention to detail in some areas or the annoying bugs this game has. They must have spent 4 1/2 years designing the cover and half of this year developing the game. I would much rather have 200 cars and have everything polished to perfection that have 800 half-ass cars to choose from.

Does the track surface feel as slippery as it did in the 370Z demo? That was pain in the ass to drive fast on, especially with a controller.

I haven't played that demo for a long time, but I don't feel like the tracks are too slippery in GT5. To me, it feels like they spent a lot of time on the physics, and on the graphics/premium cars, then one day realized "oh shit, we need to make a GAME out of this" and slapped together what they had, using spare parts from GT4 to fill the gaps.

No, the track has plenty of grip, I haven't encountered a single situation where the track felt as bad as the demo.

I just got to level 20 and got a 'free car ticket'. The last time I got an NSX, I was expecting something exotic... this time
FTO
:blink:

What's silly is that Polyphony didn't even redo the textures from the GT4 cars. Some of the models look surprisinly good considering where they're from but the textures are pretty horrible. They had ready templates and all and most of the cars don't even have any special textures like stickers etc. But the rally cars with all their graphics look pretty horrible. I wonder how many cars they could've retextured with the time they spent making premium models of a damn kleinbus or a kubelwagen.

I just got to level 20 and got a 'free car ticket'. The last time I got an NSX, I was expecting something exotic... this time
FTO
:blink:

AFAIK, the free car tickets are random cars of a certain level. I've gotten a Legacy B4 Spec B and an Elise 111R.