Gran Turismo 5

So I recently got a PS3 and of course had to get GT5, which I?ve been playing for a couple of weeks now. :mrgreen:

I?m playing with the Logitech DFP that I used to play GT4 with, and it?s quite fun. I?m really having problems catching the cars once they start to oversteer though. This new feature where the tires overheat immediately once they start to slide is really annoying... I?m pretty sure the tires on my bimmer don?t do this, but maybe I?m just not pushing it hard enough :blink:

Or is my DFP just too old for GT5? Or broken after it?s been collecting dust for a couple of years?

Is anti-Skid turned off ? When yes then try different wheel combos and camber like rear: komfort middle im the front: komfort soft and with the LSD @ 30/30/30 you can pull quite impressiv slides ;)

yeah of course it?s off, I don?t believe in driver aids other than traction control and abs, especially not in videogames :mrgreen:

I?ve been messing around with the diff and the suspension tuning, but I?m not really getting anywhere... any recommendation for a decent guide on this stuff? The in-game help is pretty dodgy, and from an engineers point of view also slightly painful to read. I remember there was this pdf for GT4 tuning that was like a million pages which I never bothered to read, but there some significantly shorter guides as well...

yeah of course it?s off, I don?t believe in driver aids other than traction control and abs, especially not in videogames :mrgreen:

I?ve been messing around with the diff and the suspension tuning, but I?m not really getting anywhere... any recommendation for a decent guide on this stuff? The in-game help is pretty dodgy, and from an engineers point of view also slightly painful to read. I remember there was this pdf for GT4 tuning that was like a million pages which I never bothered to read, but there some significantly shorter guides as well...

You'll want different suspension settings to suit the type of car (FF/FR/MR/RR). Which car in particular do you want to set up first?

Tuning is a band-aid if you don't know how to catch a slide. Try turning traction control off and just practice with a tricky car. It will come. There's two things to consider: you want to be able to drive in such a way to reduce the slide, and you want to learn the timing to catch it. For me, it's counter-steer to keep the car as straight as possible, and when you feel the slide is about to end, snap back to center. This can require very rapid wheel movements with a 900 degree wheel.

But it's also good to focus on driving smoothly and a good racing line to decrease sudden turn-in.

Last edited:
You'll want different suspension settings to suit the type of car (FF/FR/MR/RR). Which car in particular do you want to set up first?
Well all of them really :D
The game supposedly tries to emulate reality, so obviously each car is different. I really kinda need a rough overwiev to get me started, right now I?m pretty much just messing around...

Tuning is a band-aid if you don't know how to catch a slide. Try turning traction control off and just practice with a tricky car. It will come. There's two things to consider: you want to be able to drive in such a way to reduce the slide, and you want to learn the timing to catch it. For me, it's counter-steer to keep the car as straight as possible, and when you feel the slide is about to end, snap back to center. This can require very rapid wheel movements with a 900 degree wheel.

But it's also good to focus on driving smoothly and a good racing line to decrease sudden turn-in.

Well I know how it all works in theory, I?ve done some real world driver trainings as well as several hundred laps on the real Ring. I also spent quite some time on GT4, and have been practicing with GT5 as well. Which makes it all the more frustrating when you can?t correct a small mistake. Driving at the limit with RWD cars means that sometimes the back end will try to overtake. I?d like to be able to do this without losing like 10 seconds because I can?catch the car. This is why I ask about the wheel... Is it worth switching to a G27?

I had this same problem with GT5 and my DFGT, it's just a matter of practice. I never got back into GT5 as I was having fun in Forza. :|

I, too, find it very strange that I know I can save most real slides (and I know you can too, not to mention outdrive me any day of the week :lol: ).

The game supposedly tries to emulate reality, so obviously each car is different. I really kinda need a rough overwiev to get me started, right now I?m pretty much just messing around...

Well I know how it all works in theory, I?ve done some real world driver trainings as well as several hundred laps on the real Ring. I also spent quite some time on GT4, and have been practicing with GT5 as well. Which makes it all the more frustrating when you can?t correct a small mistake. Driving at the limit with RWD cars means that sometimes the back end will try to overtake. I?d like to be able to do this without losing like 10 seconds because I can?catch the car. This is why I ask about the wheel... Is it worth switching to a G27?

Ah, I didn't know you had experience, sorry. Is the DFP a 900 degree wheel?

These are my general settings I use when I'm first setting up a car. Kind of a base to start with, then I tweak from there.

FR cars:
Camber: -2.0 F -1.0 R
Toe: 0.0 F 0.0 R
Sway bars: 5-7 F & R (Depending on the weight of the car. The heavier the car, the higher the setting. Same idea for spring rates.)

MR & RR cars:
Camber: -1.5 F -2.5 R
Toe: 0.0 F 0.5 R
Sway bars: Same as FR

I've got about 20 years of SCCA and PCA racing myself. I think it's a matter of limited information for the senses. The widest widesreen TV on the marker will not make up for a lack of peripheral vision. And steering wheel feedback cannot compensate for the lack of feedback through the pedals and seat.

I haven't tried the G27 yet. Still using the G25. It's the only wheel I've never broken. :mrgreen:

I had this same problem with GT5 and my DFGT, it's just a matter of practice. I never got back into GT5 as I was having fun in Forza. :|

I, too, find it very strange that I know I can save most real slides (and I know you can too, not to mention outdrive me any day of the week :lol: ).

Was it with you where I had that massive unplanned drift at adenauer forst? :mrgreen:

Yeah I guess I just need to practice a lot more to get back into the game. I got myself a nice little Elise 111r to just fuck around with the settings and just practice...

Ah, I didn't know you had experience, sorry. Is the DFP a 900 degree wheel?

Yep, it was one of the first 900? wheels I think. Supposedly developed specifically for GT4...

These are my general settings I use when I'm first setting up a car. Kind of a base to start with, then I tweak from there.

FR cars:
Camber: -2.0 F -1.0 R
Toe: 0.0 F 0.0 R
Sway bars: 5-7 F & R (Depending on the weight of the car. The heavier the car, the higher the setting. Same idea for spring rates.)

MR & RR cars:
Camber: -1.5 F -2.5 R
Toe: 0.0 F 0.5 R
Sway bars: Same as FR

I've got about 20 years of SCCA and PCA racing myself. I think it's a matter of limited information for the senses. The widest widesreen TV on the marker will not make up for a lack of peripheral vision. And steering wheel feedback cannot compensate for the lack of feedback through the pedals and seat.

I haven't tried the G27 yet. Still using the G25. It's the only wheel I've never broken. :mrgreen:

Thanks, I guess I?ll use those as a starting value for getting to know how the tuning works in the game!

I?m still not quite sure what to do with the spring rates, I?ve found this calculator: http://www.rac3.info/setup/?l=de
And while I appreciate the fact that some people are spending a lot of time figuring these things out and sharing it with the rest, this one doesn?t seem to take into account how much you?ve lowered the car. But according to the in-game help that is in fact necessary (as it should be). It also doesn?t account for the total weight of the car...

I tried the G25 at a friends house about a year ago, but I guess they?ve stopped selling those. So I suppose it?s either G27 or stick with the DFP...

Well I think I remember having one of those with some FG-dude in the passenger seat...

Anyway, since my ikea couch table isn?t really cutting it for me, I?ve started planning a playseat. If I can come up with a decent solution, that won?t completely freak out my aesthetically-sensitive girlfriend, I?ll finally be putting the stock seat from the Mini to some good use. :mrgreen:

My main problem with correcting slides in GT is that the DFP 900 (and I believe the other cheap Logitech wheels as well) are not very good at moving towards the countersteer then self. So when a wheel real car will almost countersteer by it self, with the DFP it restricts the countersteer movement.
While this is annoying it's not a problem when know that you have to start the countersteer with a hard turn.

Turning on power steering in the GT settings helped with that for me, if you move the wheel quickly it lets up the force feedback.

The trick to catch slides easyly, is to work hard. Practice is one key element. The best way to get surprising oversteer is to switch the abs off. That way you realise the grip you have through and out of the corner as early as the braking zone. The Yellowbird is a good way to learn throttle control and it sort of likes "spitzes fahren". The old BTR is a good starting point as well.

Rule of thumb: the more you spin the more you learn to catch it.

I'd recommend Spa for training. Bumpy, but not too long to get really annoyed with a wasted lap.

The main issue I have with catching slides in GT5 is that you're relying on visual cues only. There's no butt-feel for when the car starts to slide, you can only respond to a slide that is already underway, and in a lot of cases that means no matter how good your reflexes, you'll always be late.

^this

(Sorry, I'm lazy)

That, and the situations cars start to slide in are not very realistic. Other games, such as LFS, manage to give you a much better feel for the vehicle even if they have to rely on visuals as well.

The main issue I have with catching slides in GT5 is that you're relying on visual cues only. There's no butt-feel for when the car starts to slide, you can only respond to a slide that is already underway, and in a lot of cases that means no matter how good your reflexes, you'll always be late.

I have never bought this argument. Other sims manage it fine. Sliding in LFS and NetKar Pro feels very natural, so I think it is more down to the particulars of the simulation than anything else.

GT5 isn't too hard to catch a slide, I feel. It's not easy, but it's not impossible. Besides, even if it really is harder, you're selling yourself way short by chalking it up to an unworkable circumstance. The more you work on the visual aspect the more you gain out of the sim.

I find it pretty easy to catch it. :dunno:

Of course we lack the butt feel, but the feedback from the wheel helps a lot in it.