Gran Turismo 6

The onset of traction loss looks significantly more progressive from that demo, very exciting. Also excited for any upgrades to the course generator, love using that thing. Premium/standard thing has never mattered one bit for me, so no cares there.

Not so exciting:
Am I the only one bothered by the car total? Only 200 more new cars on top of what we already have? So essentially 200 cars and 7 new tracks... was expecting more I guess. And the sound still blows.

Looking back at the options, I think PD/Sony had to lose whichever way they took.

If GT6 would have been a PS4 title, people would have complained that they have only had one major GT title on this Playstation generation. So many years of wait, and they would have had to buy a new console for playing the next GT.

Now, with GT6 being a PS3 title, PD was not able to circumvent the limitations of the platform. So even after two and a half years worth of polishing and optimizing, GT6 merely seems to be a slightly updated and upgraded GT5. This probably wouldn't be so much of a problem if GT5 would have been the bomb, but it left many gamers with mixed feelings, so they rather see GT6 as what GT5 should have been from the beginning, which in turn seems to deflate the sympathy for PD's latest title.

That's the way I understand the situation anyway.

Last edited:
Looking back at the options, I think PD/Sony had to lose whichever way they took.

If GT6 would have been a PS4 title, people would have complained that they have only had one major GT title on this Playstation generation. So many years of wait, and they would have had to buy a new console for playing the next GT.

Now, with GT6 being a PS3 title, PD was not able to circumvent the limitations of the platform. So even after two and a half years worth of polishing and optimizing, GT6 merely seems to be a slightly updated and upgraded GT5. This probably wouldn't be so much of a problem if GT5 would have been the bomb, but it left many gamers with mixed feelings, so they rather see GT6 as what GT5 should have been from the beginning, which in turn seems to deflate the sympathy for PD's latest title.

That's the way I understand the situation anyway.

Pretty much it.

Also, I want a proper Caterham!

Will there be ?Standard Cars? in GT6?

We won?t be making all the Standard cars from GT5 into Premium models, and we won?t make all of the GT5?s Standard cars fully ?Premiumized?.

Up until now, we used to categorize them as Standard and Premium because there were functional differences between them: some of the Standard models might not have tuning parts, or couldn?t be used in Photo Mode. That will all be cleared so every model can be used in Photo Mode, and every car can have parts fitted for it.

In terms of graphics quality, the bad quality Standard models we?ve updated so they look better.

:hmm:

Full interview with Kaz here.

I honestly would prefer that for GT6 they dropped the majority of cars. Keep the GT5 Premiums, take the 100-200 favorite standard cars and give them Premium treatment, then add some 50-some new cars. No more than 500 cars, but make them good, and give me proper sounds. Make the roster at least somewhat comparable to Forza. Then make an interface that isn't crap and a career mode that is actually interesting. Finally, throw in AI that works and can race so we don't have to be given ridiculous challenges to make races somewhat difficult.

That's what I want out of GT. Unfortunately, it just seems like Kaz has forgotten how to make a good, fun game after GT4.

throw in AI that works...

This and some proper testing/balancing.

I naturally care about content as well, but what really gets me is the need to restart each race half a dozen times before I manage to select a car that matches the competition perfectly. Not stupidly easy (as it usually is), nor impossible (as it often is if you take the weakest car that matches all criteria). I'm talking about spec races here, of course. This is why I liked the licenses and special events, because they already well balanced, challenging and satisfying to beat. For the spec races I have to do this job, and it's annoying considering how slow it is to reload the track all the time and navigate the menus.

talking about the old cars, anyone who has played on the large DLC test track in a no holds barred match with SL55's wil know that some are good for a reason.

Yeah, to me the graphics look practically the same, which is to be expected since GT5 pressed the PS3 for every drop it has.

The Audi in the GT6 clip seem to move around more, which is in line with the talk about the revised physics model.

What he said.

It does look like the suspension is traveling around more fluidly. The subtle bounce in the cars make them look surprisingly more realistic.

I'm a massive fanboy, so i gonna buy it anyway :D

Hoping against hope for a halfway decent single player.

The phenomenalness of the Nurburgring can only tide you over for so long.

Hoping against hope for a halfway decent single player.

The phenomenalness of the Nurburgring can only tide you over for so long.

I spent probably half my playtime in GT5 trying to learn the Nordschleife and, indeed, it just isn't enough by itself. I hope they can improve the game enough to meet my expectations. I don't want to buy an Xbox for Forza.

Honestly, GT5 was great but the gifted cars early on made the game too easily. These games are best when you earn your way through them and starting off with an SLS AMG and an Audi R8 made it a joke.

The Special Events were nice, but by the time they rolled around everyone was level 40 anyway so who cares?

Extended trailer:

With how Yamauchi thinks, I would be surprised if the sounds are improved. He is going for the raw unfiltered driving experience, and the sounds are just that. They recorded them and put them directly into the game without any kind of post processing effects to doctor up the sound to make it sound better on your average home audio setup. How the cars sound in the game is how they sounded when they were recorded, yet this does not translate well when played back over TV speakers or even a good surround sound setup.

I personally want the sounds to be tweak to bring out the experience one would hear standing next to the car, and not just what one would hear when listening to a recording.

Sorry....but that is complete BS if they did indeed say that. There are a few cars like the Ferrari's with custom sounds, but the vast majority of the cars use the same exact sound to the engine, and even the difference between a V8, V6, and a 4cylinder isn't all that different. They may have chosen a reference vehicle for each of those engine configurations and done a recording of that, but its still not representative of all the cars. If you've every ridden in a car with a big block V engine or a Boxer engine, the exhuast note is VERY different.

Trying to say that "its only a simulation" isn't an excuse. I think its a dishonest answer too, as they are trying to simulate what it is like to drive that car and to not have a representative sound for what its like in the drivers seat is an utter failure for a game that claims to represent it in real life.

I've played the game with studio quality headphones on, and its not representative in the slightest for the vast majority of cars (like all but 2 or 3).

Here is an example....

Subbie in Real life...

Basically the same car in GT5 (with other cars around it that have inline 4's instead of boxer engines but still sound basically the same)...

Not even remotely a match to the real car in any way, at least to my ears.

:D I had forgotten just how bad the sounds in GT5 are.

Sound is the only real gripe I have with it. :|
I confess I considered buying a XboxOne to play Forza and enjoy proper sound effects. :lol:

Sound is the only real gripe I have with it. :|
I confess I considered buying a XboxOne to play Forza and enjoy proper sound effects. :lol:

Might as well get a used 360 and Forza 4. Great game. I've considered it myself, but the system is still more money than I care to spend. If you play a lot of GT5, though, the physics difference between the two will be quite shocking.