Grand Theft Auto V: PC Edition

I've had some crash and hang-up problems with alt+tabbing, but considering all of the hardware and software issues with my PC that I am currently ignoring I can't really say if it's the game's fault.

5 hours in, first crash. That's 1 more crash than I'd like, but not bad. It was an nvidia driver error, so might not have been completely the game's fault anyway.

I also had a graphics related crash(can't remember the error but it was something with 3D-related issue). I was already using the latest nVidia drivers.

The game seems to have some odd issue where, when I first start it up and play, I get 10-20 less FPS than usual until I change (and revert) any of the graphics settings. Then it's happy to run smoothly as normal for hours on end. No idea what that's all about, and I didn't seem to notice it yesterday - but I did fiddle around with settings early today, so maybe something I changed caused that to happen.

Well I have no self control. Just bought it, rig is an ancient i7-960@3.2GHz + Radeon HD 6850 2GB + 4GB RAM, so we'll see how this goes.

The new drivers seem to have worked. Also, for anyone who alt tabs a lot, set the display to borderless window.

The new drivers seem to have worked. Also, for anyone who alt tabs a lot, set the display to borderless window.

I'll give that a try, mine crashed a couple of times yesterday while trying to tweak the graphics settings. Not sure about the drivers on my rig, before tweaking the settings I was getting strange slow motion every few seconds.

He claims to have it maxed out but missed all the Ultra graphics options. :roll:

Also it's pretty sad to see even TB claiming that it looks great, when actually it's little more than average in 2015.

Compared to how open and seamless it is, you can't expect more.

Also, I don't have any of those options available. Not every slider goes to ultra.

He claims to have it maxed out but missed all the Ultra graphics options. :roll:

Also it's pretty sad to see even TB claiming that it looks great, when actually it's little more than average in 2015.

I haven't played Unity yet but I've read that it will barely work with my GPU if I'm lucky. GTA 5 runs smooth as silk. And Unity vs GTA 5 is more than a fair comparison. Or we can bring Watch Dogs into the equation.

Compared to how open and seamless it is, you can't expect more.

Why not? The openness and seamlessness are not unique to GTA. Content streaming tech exists for a reason in game engines. The graphics engine is just something that lives on top and uses your rendering horsepower to make what's your screen look as awesome as possible - limited by view distance and LOD. In the case of this game it's using about 1/2 of TB's CPU, anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of his GPU, 1/2 of his VRAM etc, to get 100+ fps of something that looks like a PC game from roughly 2-3 years ago. And frankly some parts of it look 10 years old without even nitpicking. It was really bad that they left a horrific example of that in the first tutorial level. The gang's getaway car looks absolutely horrible even though the scene has hardly anything in it.

Also, I don't have any of those options available. Not every slider goes to ultra.

I know, that's probably why he missed them - and also because the menu sucks. Infinitely scrolling vertical scrollboxes instead of dropdowns so you can't tell what level each setting maxes out at without literally trying and failing in each box separately. Console UI at its best.

It's pointless even when I play with an xbone controller. They could have made it so that it stops at the best setting, so that it's incredibly fast to crank it up to maximum and be done with it. But instead it flows back to Low or something when you try to see what's there after Very High. It's just bad and lazy.

Fun as shit and I'm running it on maximum settings at 2560x1600 x 60FPS. I have the advanced settings nearly all on/max too, I just don't have the video memory (3GB x 2, so 6GB) so have everything completely on. :(

SLI memory doesn't work that way! :p

The game seems to think it does! And I haven't seen any performance hits as a result. Runs just as smooth with all that stuff on or off.

Well I have no self control. Just bought it, rig is an ancient i7-960@3.2GHz + Radeon HD 6850 2GB + 4GB RAM, so we'll see how this goes.

I can't believe it. I just can't. I want whatever pixie dust the Scots are snorting these days, because it can apparently cause magic to happen. It runs on my PC at more or less a constant 30fps (lowest I saw in the benchmark was 23 in a rainy transition from night to day) and looks better than the 360 version I had been playing on. I can't obviously crank it to the highest, but it wouldn't be a stretch to grab a refurb card from the "recommended" spec to fit on my board and get even better looks out of it.

I can't wait to see the actual 90 minute movies, that people will be making with that editor.