Grand Theft Auto V

Well, to be honest GTA IV seemed to have lost some of the sandbox elements that made previous installments epic fun. There were some things that you used to be able to do in previous games that you couldn't do in IV (off the top of my head; vehicle modifications, pilot airplanes, swim underwater/dive, drive a tank, helicopter gunships with missiles...).

Don't get me wrong, I still though GTA IV was great, but I was a little disappointed at how some of the things I loved about previous titles (especially San Andreas) were missing. The Ballad of Gay Tony add-on did rectify some of those problems (a must-have add-on IMO).

By the looks of the trailer, some of the things that were missing in GTA IV will return in this new game, along with other goodies!

- Dan

Last edited:

I was very excited for a new GTA when 4 was coming out. Bought it and was severely disappointed. It's not that it's a bad game, but it hardly feels like a GTA game at all. It's like some other company decided it was going to try to make a competing game and didn't quite hit the mark. Here are a few things I didn't like about it:

- Lackluster music. Previous GTA games had amazing music. Well KNOWN music. GTA 4 is just full of...I don't know what. Most of it I've never heard before and doesn't feel like it should be in GTA. Vice City's amazing 80s music was the best.

- No planes. This one I was particularly disappointed in. My favorite thing to do in San Andreas was fly the Hydra around having dogfights with the army, flying under the lowest bridge possible, and just causing general havoc. :evil:

- They tried to make it too realistic. The driving is way better, sure, but have you compared the way Niko runs to the older games? There's a delay for any movement because they had to add in stop and start animations, and turning is slow as well. This is very annoying to me.

- No big, open, varied, sandbox-y world. San Andreas was amazing because you could go for a drive in the country, drive in the busy city, or even just go to a different city altogether. Restricting players to Liberty City felt like a big step backward in a game that's become the definition of an action-y sandbox game.

Basically, it just overall felt like a step backward to me. Sure the graphics were prettier and the driving way better, but it wasn't quite a GTA game anymore. From the trailer it looks like they're rectifying this and taking a true step forward with the series. Woot!

Reactions: TC
Check out the bottom right of the logo:

OnFpJ.png

Bigfoot!

Is it just me, but was there a really overweight Niko in that trailer holding a cardboard sign?

Is it just me or do the visuals look significantly better than GTA4? Like more so than you'd expect.

Anyway, epic trailer is epic. Now the loooooong wait begins. Eventually (after some delays) it'll be released :p

Is it just me or do the visuals look significantly better than GTA4? Like more so than you'd expect.

Anyway, epic trailer is epic. Now the loooooong wait begins. Eventually (after some delays) it'll be released :p

What grave did they resurrect you from? :O

I was very excited for a new GTA when 4 was coming out. Bought it and was severely disappointed. It's not that it's a bad game, but it hardly feels like a GTA game at all. It's like some other company decided it was going to try to make a competing game and didn't quite hit the mark. Here are a few things I didn't like about it:

- Lackluster music. Previous GTA games had amazing music. Well KNOWN music. GTA 4 is just full of...I don't know what. Most of it I've never heard before and doesn't feel like it should be in GTA. Vice City's amazing 80s music was the best.

- No planes. This one I was particularly disappointed in. My favorite thing to do in San Andreas was fly the Hydra around having dogfights with the army, flying under the lowest bridge possible, and just causing general havoc. :evil:

- They tried to make it too realistic. The driving is way better, sure, but have you compared the way Niko runs to the older games? There's a delay for any movement because they had to add in stop and start animations, and turning is slow as well. This is very annoying to me.

- No big, open, varied, sandbox-y world. San Andreas was amazing because you could go for a drive in the country, drive in the busy city, or even just go to a different city altogether. Restricting players to Liberty City felt like a big step backward in a game that's become the definition of an action-y sandbox game.

Basically, it just overall felt like a step backward to me. Sure the graphics were prettier and the driving way better, but it wasn't quite a GTA game anymore. From the trailer it looks like they're rectifying this and taking a true step forward with the series. Woot!

Agree 100%

San Andreas was incredible. GTA-IV felt too limited.

A shallow one that was unearthed by Construction Workers...

Someone remembered! When I say CF's post, I totally was going unearth this from its shallow grave, but you beat me too it.

Anyways, :wave: SL65.

Incredibly excited for this game, it's the first game that I've been properly excited for in a while. GTA somehow manages to capture a magic that other games can't quite muster.

A shallow one that was unearthed by Construction Workers...

Because of Parkinson's

I can understand that. I think that it lacks the features in San Andreas (some that I don't really want, like a gym) because it was a new game engine and it took a lot of their resources. With Vice City/San Andreas and this new one they can focus on the actual game much more.

IGN rewind theater

Well I will have to dig out my copy of SA so I can relearn the city again.