Grand Theft Auto V

Random trivia; that "Install complete" screen which requires a button press was added in there because it was figured people would go make a cup of tea while it installed, and you don't want the opening cutscenes playing out before they'd get back to their TV so they missed stuff :) It went in relatively late.

Can you thank the guy who put that in for me? I used it exactly as intended.

Ditto. It may be a small thing but it does make a difference...

I had the sounds fail on me once so far (GraemeH, I'll send you a PM with some details on that) but apart from that it has been pretty good over the first 5 hours or so. I get the feeling that it's all just introductory stuff so far and things will pick up, but even so it's much more interesting than the early game in IV.

I couldn't resist and picked up a copy yesterday. I played it for only about an hour, the install took pretty much most of my time in the evening.

The game looks good, but it really shows how old the 360 hardware is, jagged edges everywhere, this game will look so much better on PS4/XB1 or a high-end PC.

Btw, I managed to fail the first mission with Franklin because I was playing with the convertible's roof in the parking lot and he got away :lol:.

I will wait for the PROPER PC version, but I really am worried that they watered down the car handling due to all the assholes whining about GTAIV's car physics which were excellent. Already Im reading reports that the cars in GTA5 are nerfed. It fuckin better not be anything like SR3 or Sleeping Dogs. Anyone who thinks the driving model in those 2 games were better than GTAIV are full of shit.

The cars are easier, they take less damage (unless you hit a sharp corner, as wheel damage is much more common now), and they can always be righted if they roll over. However, the handling isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it's quite satisfying in a way.

I will wait for the PROPER PC version, but I really am worried that they watered down the car handling due to all the assholes whining about GTAIV's car physics which were excellent. Already Im reading reports that the cars in GTA5 are nerfed. It fuckin better not be anything like SR3 or Sleeping Dogs. Anyone who thinks the driving model in those 2 games were better than GTAIV are full of shit.

I think the driving model is just fine. Not as good as GTA IV (or, out of similar games, Driver: San Francisco) but the cars do roughly the right things at the right times. It's nothing like the horrible driving model in Sleeping Dogs.

The cars are easier, they take less damage (unless you hit a sharp corner, as wheel damage is much more common now), and they can always be righted if they roll over. However, the handling isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it's quite satisfying in a way.

Saw a video where you have to push a button to do so. How does that work? Does the character get out off the car and pushes it over?

Well the game is great, but I can't use the PS3 controller properly. This is my first time with PS3 so I guess it will take me some time.

I like the fact that you can use throttle control to get momentum on steep inclines, if you floor it you just get wheel spin. What I don't like is the fact that all vehicles feel fast, even the tractors and big trucks. That old VW Beetle buggy is my favourite car so far. I just finished the first mission with Franklin then I set up my in game phone to "silent" and then spent 3hours exploring the map and trying to steal planes. I did not managed to steal a military one :))
Radio stations are awesome as before. Yeah, it's an awesome game!

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed with the driving as well, cars have too much grip in corners and there's some weird behavior on curbs. It's good, much better than other open world games, but GTA IV set a high standard with its low grip and high body roll (actually a bit too much body roll but it looked good). The handbrake seems to make the car slide much farther than normal which is odd.

An experiment I have yet to attempt: Tow a tow truck. My record in San Andreas was 9 trucks towing an 18 wheeler :lol:

Still not. I'd appreciate a spare if you have one. :)

I'll send you pm later on, not in till 5. Really hope I don't have the same read issue.

Regarding pc/next gen. If it comes out for ps4 then it's great I'll trade up. If it comes out only for pc I won't. My pc can play it and my pc and ps3 are on the same monitor. Maybe I'm set in my ways but it's more of a hassle for pc. Like what if my pc decides to restart itself or downloadcrap in the background.

Also by all accounts gta 4 ran like dog shit on pc at first, as did la noire. They both took a while to run properly.

Saw a video where you have to push a button to do so. How does that work? Does the character get out off the car and pushes it over?

You just keep holding the joystick left or right and the car will slowly rotate in that direction. You can also move the car around in midair with the joystick. It's a bit counter intuitive to me because you press left to roll the car counter-clockwise (top of the car to the left) while I'm expecting the car to roll clockwise when turning the wheels to the left (top goes to the right). It definitely does help when you hit a ramp crooked as you can fix your angle and land on all four wheels instead of just going along for the ride once you're in the air.

Not exactly realistic, but it's a game and it makes driving off of ramps and cliffs more fun.

I'm a bit disappointed with the driving as well, cars have too much grip in corners and there's some weird behavior on curbs. It's good, much better than other open world games, but GTA IV set a high standard with its low grip and high body roll (actually a bit too much body roll but it looked good). The handbrake seems to make the car slide much farther than normal which is odd.

I don't really like the driving physics that much myself either. They're not bad, but GTA IV was better, even with the ridiculous body roll.

Just wiggle a stick while in the car and it rolls back. :(

What I don't like is the fact that all vehicles feel fast, even the tractors and big trucks.
Have you found the 20s tractor with iron wheels yet? That thing is incredibly slow. I wanted to drive it downtown and take pictures, but I don't have the patience.

I'll send you pm later on, not in till 5. Really hope I don't have the same read issue.

Thank you! I'll test it later. :D

You can shoot the blimp!? :jawdrop:

Yes. 'Oh the humanity!' ensues.

So, bought new controller, finaly home, delete infamous, start game ...

Forced install of 8GB, it is taking aaaaaages! :'(

Wow, the mission where you race 2 kids and steal their cars was amazing. loooved weaving through traffic and racing into the night... much better then any Need For Speed

also car modding is amazing, just unlocked all mods.
XbloxId: ZmurfN

Last edited:
Haven't posted in here since I got the game because I've been too busy forming an opinion. At first I was unsure, but I just put that down to be too used to Liberty City and GTA IV. I agree with what's been said about the cars, too much grip and not enough roll, but they feel like thay have more weight to them as if they are real objects. I'm not convinced about the new damage though. I like the new scratches and the fact that more things fall off (bumpers, wings etc) but the cars feel less deformable (take a jump and land on your roof in IV and it'll cave in, not in V) and the damage feels more scripted rather than dependent on the individual crash.

The police are a big change, much more realistic I felt. And you can actually hide from them, without them magically knowing where you are. Once out of sight you can get out of the car and hide behind something and they'll go right past. (I actually ran into a shop and hid behind the counter, 2 cops came in and had a look but left because they hadn't spotted me).

I'm still getting used to the weapon wheel and changing character during missions, but I can see that it's a step forward. I like the inclusion of wildlife (although I did get killed by a big mountain cat thing) and the fact that you can 'hunt' them. I haven't flown much yet, but as far as I can tell it seems to work quite well. I like the fact that you can casually jump onto (and off of) freight trains as they go past and run along them: I think there may be some Skyfall opening scene reenactments happening soon.

I think that'll do for now. Basically, I like it. :D

Fuck I love it. I played it for like 12 hours yesterday. I want to play more today! :(

Got it today and installed it when I got in from work. Since then, all I have done is reinstall it 3 further times because it just isn't working properly.

First time was ok until the first mission with Franklin where I there was horrendous screen tearing every time I faced 'north'.

Deleted the install, and reinstalled, the game then froze after 2 minutes in game (happened multiple times but no screen tearing)

Deleted install and game save. Tried to reinstall, froze half way through.

Fourth time, installed. Did first mission fine, did second mission fine. Froze. Continued to do so again within 2 minutes of starting to play and lost use of phone and couldn't save game at safehouse. Changed PS3 output resolution to the lowest available non HD, worked for about 3 minutes then froze.

If the only solution is to get a new PS3, then I'll just return the game.

There needs to be an option for censored audio. I don't want to hear "nigga bitch ass crack whore shit cunt motherfucker" in every sentence involving Franklin. This is a major turnoff, and makes it hard to enjoy the game. SR4 should be considered a kids game with their use of language compared to this..