Grand tourers of the last recession: Jaguar XJS or Mercedes SEC

Grand tourers of the last recession: Jaguar XJS or Mercedes SEC

• Total voters
What I think is funny is all these people who want to look like Colombian drug lords.... don't you guys know what happens if you encounter a real Colombian drug lord? :p

You.....buy/sell large quantities of drugs, I guess? I mean, that's the only reason I'd bother encountering a Colombian drug lord. :lol:

Would it make any sense at all for a 20 year old working his way through to college to buy an XJS in any form nowadays?

No, not unless you find an I6 one in great shape.

I've been lusting after an SEC for years. Like most of you it's an appearance and image thing. I think the SEC is probably the best looking coup? the company ever made. The only thing that I don't like about it are the tail lights, which look like they came straight off the W116, predecessor of the W126, making them look 70's as opposed to the rest of the car which looks 80's.
Mainly I like it because it's the only Mercedes coup? in this price range that's V8 powered but has looks that make me want to drive it as a DD. As opposed to other classic Mercs which merely look good as classic Mercs. However, I'll come to the V8 thing later.
I like the low stance, even though a bone stock SEC doesn't actually look that low, but that's fixable without making it appear boyracerish. I like the clean forward-attacking rear section of the roof, which is also found on my car:
modelpicture.php

mercedes_klasa_e_coupe_36_amg__c124___1993_CZM.JPG

When I see that roofline in the flesh I always think of my all-time favorite muscle car, the charger
1968-dodge-charger.jpg

The roofline achieves a sleek look that isn't immediately apparent from pics but is very noticeable and cool in the flesh.
I also like the huge star in front of the SEC radiator grille, it looks horrible in the W124 and pretty much any pre-2000s Merc, but on the W126 it looks so right. It fits the styling exactly and it's just the right size as well. Even the upright stance of the front itself makes the star look right, and justifies the "in your face" look of it.
I like big cars, and the SEC is just about as big as coup?s come. It's half a meter longer than my car and that's some serious percentage bigger than a car that already feels pretty large.
Also, whenever they needed wheels for a wealthy criminal on Miami Vice, they often went with a SEC... I can see why :cool:

After nearly writing off my E Coupe last month, and before I knew it was to be repaired, I started following the "SEC scene" closely in order to know the ins and outs of the car and hopefully find a nice example to buy.

Most SEC's that are in daily use in this country seem to be driven by boyracers and slightly older young adults. This is probably because the SEC is in fact one of the cheapest cars on the used car market with a huge V8 (you want a 560, right?). Obviously most of the accessories and interior on the cheap ones will break, or be broken already, but the engine will still be there.

Cars that have been owned by those people will most likely be spoiled with horrible looking tuning... Interior details that don't fit, like one guy who glued chrome tape all over the wood trim and said it looked good, big shiny wheels, overlowered suspension, tinted windows because AFAIK you aren't allowed to tint all windows in this country which leaves the car looking ridiculous if you tint just the back ones, blacking out the chrome or other trim, ill-fitting lights, horrible paint / color, etc, etc...

Then again the rest of the cars are driven by genuine Mercedes enthusiasts who will most likely keep them stock and in immaculate condition, as befits a Merc fan.

However, even among those ones some might consider clean only a few are actually desirable. Most have one or more of the following which I don't like: non-body colored plastic side panels, cloth interior, shiny wood steering wheel, chrome mirrors and US-spec bumpers.

I haven't done enough research to know if there was ever an equivalent to the sportline option with the W126, that would make subtle changes to the overall style of the car to make it look sportier back in the day, which translates to a more modern look today. Stuff like wider sills, longer skirts, lower suspension, etc. The AMG ones are tuned like that for sure.

So I'd like one that looks like that, with no irreversible boyracer tuning, and none of the sucky properties I listed above, and with a healthy drivetrain and chassis. And that combination makes what I want bleeding rare and most likely damn expensive. Needless to say there were none in our local dominating car trading website and only 20 % of the SEC's listed there ticked enough boxes for me to consider buying. A true dream car, then... Unattainable because there aren't enough of them around.

The XJS doesn't really have the appeal of the SEC. A few years ago I actually hated the looks but I've warmed to them, now I sort of get it. In fact I nearly like the convertible version May drove in the wine show, season 1. Still, I prefer a V8 to a V12 and since I don't actually lust after one, I'm drawn to thinking about the wonky electronics and the fact it spills oil everywhere and it'll be fantastically expensive to maintain, let alone repair. And the image of an XJS is that of a classy old guy and as such, I couldn't really feel comfortable driving one every day.

So the SEC it is

Would it make any sense at all for a 20 year old working his way through to college to buy an XJS in any form nowadays?

I very nearly did this (already got one XJS in the family) but was somewhat concerned by parts availability... it's got a little better since, but some things can take an age to track down. Plus they are a very very large car with a tiny cabin I barely fit in.

I'd never choose or dismiss a car based on who other people think drive them.

That said, I like both of these, but I'd prefer a Jag XJ12C coupe over the XJS coupe. And I'd rather have the AMG version of the SEC over any of them, especially black with the tan interior:

2587412c.jpg

2587412b.jpg

2587412a.jpg

560sec-web.jpg

A pic in the M635csi vs. 928 thread got me thinking about big coupes from the early 90s, namely two that have had my attention for a while.

Can't I have a Porsche 928 instead?

He did say big coupes, so the 928 would be out. But I also would prefer a 928.

But that XJS just looks good. And with a bit of paint work, it would look stellar. I have been looking at a couple of XJSes, and I may be getting one this spring. Hopefully things work out, and I don't find that 928S4 GT/S.

I'll go for the Jaaaaaag. I had one as a toy car as a toddler and have been in love with the shapes ever since.

I guess you think of
35978464.jpg

:D

That pic reminds me of this, um, shall we say diturbingly funny clip.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ93JG4xiwQ[/YOUTUBE]

I've always had a soft spot for the XJS' appearance. Now if I could get something with Civic reliability that looked like the jag...

The Benz for me.

I love that era Mercedes.

I used to have a 1987 300 SE sedan, since then I always lusted after the SEC. best looking thing merc has ever made, other than the original 300 SL coupe and the original CLS.

As always, imo.

P.s : The Jaaag is awesome too. BUT, If it means that I will need to spend some money on a suit and get friendly with pill-popping celebs to own the merc, so be it.

Last edited:
Although the jaaaag may be a bit more stylish, I'd still take the drug dealer merc. It's just so very cool.