Grand tourers of the last recession: Jaguar XJS or Mercedes SEC

Grand tourers of the last recession: Jaguar XJS or Mercedes SEC

• Total voters
The Merc, unless the Jag could be had with 4 round headlights instead of two oddly shaped oblong ones.

The "American headlights." I've definitely been more partial to these, makes the car look more stern.

Jaguar_XJS_Cabrio_front_20070920.jpg

the mercedes looks like something a bond villain would drive. so the mercedes for me.

The Mercedes doesn't have enough to distinguish it from a normal Mercedes, and it doesn't look as special as the Jaaaaag. The Jaguar looks like a classic, like you actually want to drive it. The Mercedes looks as though you only bought it because you couldn't afford a new one, even if that isn't the case. It's also more common, especially around where I live, I tend to see a few older 2-door Mercs going around, especially at upmarket furniture shops driven by a plastic woman with a very very small dog.

Jaaag for me, I prefer tweed to second hand Armani.

The Jaaaaag, for no rational reason - I've just always had a massive soft spot for the XJS.

SEC, though quite frankly I would preffer an SE or an SEL, as those have a better exterior design in my opinion.

Difficult this. I should choose the Jag but that Merc just looks so sinister. I'll take it. Merc it is.

That light mod on the XJS looks disgusting, makes it look like a Chevy Corvair...

That light mod on the XJS looks disgusting, makes it look like a Chevy Corvair...

Sadly, that's how all XJSs came in the US until the early 90s. It looks tacked-on and doesn't flow with the overall look of the thing. The single headlight units, though, make it look like the ghost children from the Total Eclipse of the Heart video, but even that's better.

Definitely the Merc. I could never stand the looks of the XJS, IMHO one of the ugliest Jags around.
I am not a fan of Jags anyway but still...

Make me choose between two cars I absolutely love why don't you.

I'll go for the XJS, just because it really is right up there on my all-time favorite car list.

Then again, that is the Mercedes Gary Busey still drives!

Merc, no question...It does scream I want to shoot you while wearing an immaculate suit.

And how is this a bad thing ?

The Merc, never has a choice been as easy as this one. The SEC is vulgar, brutal and really really menacing. I like vulgar, brutal and menacing.

Where as the Jaguar XJS is an antique collectable for old people in tweed jackets.

Come on Spectre, bring it !! :mrgreen:

And how is this a bad thing ?

The Merc, never has a choice been as easy as this one. The SEC is vulgar, brutal and really really menacing. I like vulgar, brutal and menacing.

Where as the Jaguar XJS is an antique collectable for old people in tweed jackets.

Come on Spectre, bring it !! :mrgreen:

Mercedes campaigned the SEC in a few races and mostly lost miserably. To the XJS, as a matter of fact. :D

I think that says everything that needs to be said. And we all know my choice, despite how much I must admit I like the SEC.

I would get a Japanese import white 560 SEC on gold cross-spoke BBS:s. And not plan to do any racing with it. :p