Graphics Card Options

Dr_Q

Car(s)
Horse & Cart
After having a lot of troubles with my current graphics card (XFX 9600GT) I sent it back to XFX to take a look at. Unfortunately I couldn't get a new one sent out to me but they have put me into their 'upgrade system'. I'm not entirely sure how much of a discount I'm getting but any discount has got to be better than no discount :D.

Annoyingly due to space constraints I need the card to only take up on PCI-E slot (so no big coolers). I'm really out of the loop here so any assistance would be awesome.

My XFX options are:

Nvidia 8800GTX 768M ?40
Nvidia GTS 250 1Gb ?100
Nvidia GTX 260 898Mb ?110
Nvidia GTX 280 1Gb ?150
ATI 4850 1Gb ?84
ATI 4870 1Gb DDR5 ?120

*EDIT*

After a quick image search it appears all of these are dual slot cards :(.

Last edited:
The 4850 is usually not a dual slot cooler so i think the 4850 would be best for your convienence.

Its funny how XFX's site states how its a single slot and that it can easily crossfire due to it lol.

Last edited:
I did a bit of research using their product comparison tool and it turns out every single one of these (strangely including the 4850) are marked as 'dual profile' cards. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't the case but I'm not the luckiest person when it comes to components. On another note I did a quick check on prices and it seems that this 'upgrade scheme' looks very like their 'buying a card new from us with no money off' scheme. The plot thickens! :p

I have a AUSU Radeon HD 4850 (model ASUS EAH4850). Its single slot. It was 200 USD a year ago when I got it, now its about 100. Good card.

Get a dual slot card, buy a crappy similar branded card with a single slot, exchange and dremel as needed.

My friend and I took the single slot bracket from my old EVGA 7800GT and put it on my new BFG 250GTS. We had to dremel a small tab, but it fits perfectly. You don't even need the bracket to use the card- you can simply take it off, but it will obviously be less sturdy.