Graphics during LFA test in 14x07 - WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it worked really well and was refreshing and different. Since the spaceship appeared around the time I had begun to wonder "What planet were Lexus on when they came up with this?" I thought it was a good fit.

I don't have a problem with TopGear. I see people mentioning that there have been complaints recently, but I haven't had any. A few episodes ago, it was really boring but that was pretty much it.
My only real complaint was this weird Anime graphics in the LFA test. It got me to pause and freak out, then register here to complain about it.
I've been coming here for years and never posted before, or even visited the forums.

The LFA graphics made me visit the forums for the first time, register, and make my very first post.

That's how much of a negative impact it had on my viewing of that review. It was all nice and dandy and him driving the car, then it started BAM -- threw me off every time they played the graphics.

Didn't get to enjoy the view of the car driving on the track. I watch the show to look at the cars driving on the track, not for anime cartoons that dilute the actual driving shot.
If they wanted to SUPPLEMENT or ACCENTUATE the shot with some graphics, I'd be ok with it.

This COMPLETELY took over the shot, and at one point it lasted for a while as Richard was speaking in the car which felt even more awkward.

Anyways, I just hope it was this one time only.

double post looks like, so i will take advantage:

I'm excited to the point of freaking out as I wait for the download of TG to finish. I love TG and the guys, absolutely terrific show, the UK version is. My opinion is that they should simply port it directly to each of the other continents as-is and replace the commercials for region-specific ones.
The UK version has the panache and characters, anything else is just not. I think TopGear UK aired in the USA would be a hit, and they shouldn't edit out the news either for the USA. Its what is part of the fun of watching the UK show!

Last edited:
Didn't get to enjoy the view of the car driving on the track. I watch the show to look at the cars driving on the track, not for anime cartoons that dilute the actual driving shot.
If they wanted to SUPPLEMENT or ACCENTUATE the shot with some graphics, I'd be ok with it.

This COMPLETELY took over the shot, and at one point it lasted for a while as Richard was speaking in the car which felt even more awkward.

That's just the thing...they were accentuating the shots.
Hammond spoke about how the car was blisteringly fast and so they got rid of the (usual) boring background of well...nothing...and put in the anime style "speed lines" (not sure of the technical term)

Then when the UFO came in it shot its laser and the car "dodged" it. It gave reason for the handling display, it didn't detract from it.

Apologies if the details are a little hazy, watched it last night. I do, however, remember about half of the review didn't have the anime styling.

It's not like they're gonna copy paste the effect again, don't worry ;)

I don't need childish and literal visual clues to help me understand a car review.

Regardless if some people liked or hated the visual effects, they are being discussed on the forum more than the car itself. How can you assert that they enhanced the car review if the effects are the dominant topic of discussion afterwards and not the car?

I'd MUCH prefer some real to accentuate the shot as well.

Remember the program where they shot the Corvette Z06 racing against a lit run of fuel? That was pretty cool.
Show something real and physical to compare the LFA to, not anime. It shook me out of the moment every time (while I was entranced hearing/watching it drive), honest.

I'd MUCH prefer some real to accentuate the shot as well.

Remember the program where they shot the Corvette Z06 racing against a lit run of fuel? That was pretty cool.
Show something real and physical to compare the LFA to, not anime. It shook me out of the moment every time (while I was entranced hearing/watching it drive), honest.

First time poster, just registered while watching this and I paused it.
The graphics during the Lexus LFA test.
WTF is this? Don't tell me they are going to start doing this now.
Completely RUINED the test! I'm not watching the movie "Sin City" or "The Spirit", I don't need that graphic noir crap.

Ick!
why not just skip ahead to the end of the review and carry on? Its not like someone's holding a gun to your head and demanding you to watch the entire thing, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Your not a licence fee payer so its not like you have any actual investment in it.
It was different and it was good. Problem with doing something different is that you'll always going to end up annoying someone. As evidently as it has with this poster.
I like the Manga style editing and it fit with the review perfectly well and Hammond was the right choice to go with it.

also if you're going to join the forums just to whine, bitch and complain about the program, may i suggest that you get your priorities right since there are more things to worry about in the world than the editing and styling of one program.

Last edited:
i really liked those graphics.. :cool:

There is a difference between criticizing something because it's not as good as you wish it could be and hating something.

If you don't like this thread why not just skip it and carry on? Its not like someone's holding a gun to your head and demanding you to read and respond. Problem with people expressing their opinion is that you're always going to end up annoying someone.

See what i did there?

People that criticize Top Gear are often the biggest fans. They want the show to be as good as possible and care enough to post about it.

Last edited:
Regardless if some people liked or hated the visual effects, they are being discussed on the forum more than the car itself. How can you assert that they enhanced the car review if the effects are the dominant topic of discussion afterwards and not the car?

This the FG forums ;) not the Lexus forums :p

I think it would have had more cred as a toyota than a lexus! If anyone disagrees they can OMG STFU!!!1!!

I thought it worked really well and was refreshing and different. Since the spaceship appeared around the time I had begun to wonder "What planet were Lexus on when they came up with this?" I thought it was a good fit.
I was going to post something like this then saw yours. ...

+1

i really enjoyed the review and i think the grafics were amazing, they just fit in perfectly.

That Lexus just screams BANZAI !!!

Amazing car and Engine Sound :mrgreen:

I don't have a problem with TopGear. I see people mentioning that there have been complaints recently, but I haven't had any. A few episodes ago, it was really boring but that was pretty much it.
My only real complaint was this weird Anime graphics in the LFA test. It got me to pause and freak out, then register here to complain about it.
I've been coming here for years and never posted before, or even visited the forums.The LFA graphics made me visit the forums for the first time, register, and make my very first post.

That's how much of a negative impact it had on my viewing of that review. It was all nice and dandy and him driving the car, then it started BAM -- threw me off every time they played the graphics.

Finalgear.com IS NOT A F****** COMPLAINT BOOK.

Last edited:
I liked the graphics. I thought they complemented the car rather well. I'm sure it has been said in this thread already, but I am glad they are mixing things up in the visual department. Keeps things from becoming just another car test.

Also don't forget that they had dinosaurs in Series 13. DINOSAURS! Haven't seen those return yet.

I like how they keep doing a variety of things in order to make the reviews look fresh. This is really no different from the dinosaurs, lighting tricks around the SL Black, the slow motion water used a few times, the 24 gimmick used more than once, the doubled up image of the same car driving around, the flipped image on the Focus ST...

See what I mean? They just film things in a variety of ways. Good, it keeps it fresh, and if it doesn't work, well, then we move on to the next car.

I'm not sure if this warranted its own thread, but since it exists now, may I say that some of you are really small minded in my opinion? Some people liked the graphics in the Lexus LFA segment, some didn't. What's wrong with that?

I understand that this is a Top Gear fan forum, but if 'fan' means that I'm never ever allowed to say anything even remotely critical about the show, then a fan I'm not. Everyone here should be mature enough to leap over his and her shadow once in a while and accept that where's light, there will be shadow as well.

:rolleyes:

/rant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.