Graphics during LFA test in 14x07 - WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
They only did it so they could do the 'we have no money left' bit, it had nothing to do with reflecting the car or being artistic, just a prop to help their bit along.

They made the video just to waste money?

OK.

If top gear does nothing new, it's boring, if they do something new, it's WTF IT SUCKS I HOPE THEY GO BACK. Those graphics were orgasmic. Just sayin'.

lolwat.

Hi everybody!
I have been a lurker for some time and (same as the OP of this post) this topic made me want to register! (except I discovered that I actually had already registered 5 years ago but never posted...)

Concerning the graphics, I don't like mangas so my first reaction when I saw that was "WTF!!!" but I actually liked them, even the flying saucer! As many have said before, I think that animes and SF match the car quite well.

I can understand that some people didn't like them, but, in my opinion, considering the huge number of "classic" TG reviews on the track that we have seen in the past 14 seasons, it's good to get some originality!
About the debate on this thread, I guess that people found it a bit agressive to register and open a new topic just for this...

Anyway that's just a newbie's point of view,
Take it easy!

EDIT: 2010 - 2005 = 4 :cry:

Last edited:
May I just say that the thread currently is going downhill a bit lot, and it's not because of us "moaners". :rolleyes:

EDIT: apart from last post

Last edited:
I think is good to see them try new stuff

True, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

The graphics in the LF-A review COULD have worked, but it just seemed to be a lot more heavyhanded than usual. TG's use of special post-production effects usually has a lot of finesse and skill. The LF-A cartoony stuff was way overcooked, as if some intern had been given the brief to do post production on it ... only he or she had tried just way too hard to be clever.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want TG to stop trying to push the envelope with their editing and post production. They need to be able to make mistakes to learn from them, that's the only way they'll continue to improve and evolve and not get stagnant.

Whilst I wouldn't have started a thread just to rant about how much I hated the LF-A film, I don't think it's been in anyone's best interest to shoot down the OP - some of these things being on really unimportant stuff in the context of this thread, such as the car he has in his profile. :rolleyes: He obviously felt strongly enough to share his thoughts with us, and most of us seem to have been able to treat this discussion with seriousness and respect.

There have been a couple of 'if you don't like it don't watch or STFU' posters in this thread, and I've negrepped at least one of them (tbh, some of the posters in question have had a negrep coming from me for a while, but I digress). Those sorts of contributions add nothing.

Finally, this has been said many times over many threads in recent times, but the reason some of us DON'T keep fawning over how wonderful TG is at every single opportunity is because we really LOVE our TG. We're more than happy to compliment the TG team on a job well done, but I think we should also feel bold enough to call TG on anything that detracts from the experience. This is something that we've had to do a LOT of in Series 14, but that said there's also been a lot to like. But now I am officially waffling ... :p

Last edited:
May I just say that the thread currently is going downhill a bit lot, and it's not because of us "moaners". :rolleyes:

the "moaners" only ever post sensible and "mature" discussions dont they. i dont need to point to the thread that shows quite the opposite.
no i can see posts from both sides that are very pointless and any claims that one side is not guilty is nonsense.

now on to topic.

i didnt mind the effects. ye there was probably a couple of times they were not needed but really it didnt detract from the review itself. i for one like that they are willing to try new things rather than do everything exactly the same as they did years ago.

Last edited:
Wasn't very happy with those graphics either, when they suddenly showed up I really was going "WTH?". It's seriously out of place and I really don't understand why they decided they needed something like that and actually left it in.

Once again I can understand that the graphics were not for everyone. But let me ask you this: did it mean we didn't get to see A LOT of the car? Were the graphics substituting the real footage or adding something to it?
So to kick a somewhat fuss (6 pages! :p) on something that never prevented us from watching the car, well I just don't get it.
Now if a boffin could calculate a ratio footage/graphics to help prove my point (can't be asked tonight! :D) 'cause I watched it again, and we miss nothing, absolutely nothing about the car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SephBE9zlBk

True, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

The graphics in the LF-A review COULD have worked, but it just seemed to be a lot more heavyhanded than usual. TG's use of special post-production effects usually has a lot of finesse and skill. The LF-A cartoony stuff was way overcooked, as if some intern had been given the brief to do post production on it ... only he or she had tried just way too hard to be clever.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want TG to stop trying to push the envelope with their editing and post production. They need to be able to make mistakes to learn from them, that's the only way they'll continue to improve and evolve and not get stagnant.

Whilst I wouldn't have started a thread just to rant about how much I hated the LF-A film, I don't think it's been in anyone's best interest to shoot down the OP - some of these things being on really unimportant stuff in the context of this thread, such as the car he has in his profile. :rolleyes: He obviously felt strongly enough to share his thoughts with us, and most of us seem to have been able to treat this discussion with seriousness and respect.

There have been a couple of 'if you don't like it don't watch or STFU' posters in this thread, and I've negrepped at least one of them (tbh, some of the posters in question have had a negrep coming from me for a while, but I digress). Those sorts of contributions add nothing.

Finally, this has been said many times over many threads in recent times, but the reason some of us DON'T keep fawning over how wonderful TG is at every single opportunity is because we really LOVE our TG. We're more than happy to compliment the TG team on a job well done, but I think we should also feel bold enough to call TG on anything that detracts from the experience. This is something that we've had to do a LOT of in Series 14, but that said there's also been a lot to like. But now I am officially waffling ... :p

I can get ragging on this specific OP, because he went through the trouble of finding a forum, registering, and creating a topic solely to whine about one aspect of production. That just greases my goat, especially given that even if someone wanted to join a forum specifically to complain to people the specific episode thread was right there. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one, but that's like searching for a sports bar, and then shouting that the local team sucks. Even if they do, it's still a really rude way of introducing yourself and is just going to make people angry.

I stand by saying that I'm glad they tried it, though I can see why someone else might not, and they should be encouraged to do things like that which might fail, but might also look good. If they're not pushing themselves, they should close shop, since the worst episodes and segments happen when they try to play it safe - we've already seen that this series.

To paraphrase the last 6 pages.....

Some people liked the graphics, and some people didn't like the graphics.

The End.

^^^^^^

That's the case with absolutely everything Top Gear does nowadays.

If you don't like it don't watch it, either that or STFU!!!
after rereading what I wrote today I'd like to add:
It's okay to criticize what you don't like but at least try and put a more positive note.
For example: if you didn't like the graphics, you could say that you disliked the graphics but praise the crew for trying to add zest to a review.

Also, registering to complain, in my eyes, is pathetic.
I didn't like seasick steve but I didn't come on here to complain about it, I just skipped the segment and carryed on watching the show.

I don't agree with the OP but this post is just 100% nonsense. Its the fanatics like you that will allow top gear to slide down into the mire of mediocrity. What if you don't want to thank the crew for trying because it was a bad idea in the first place? Criticism has its place...I wish more people would see this...North Korea seems to be getting along pretty well with its "if you don't like it STFU" attitude....right?

edit: wow didn't see that this was 6 pages..

Am I the only one who immediately after seeing the episode fired up after effects and tried to figure out exactly what filters were being used?

They were awesome!

Hey, kids! Let's learn how a topic progresses in the Top Gear subforum!

1. Newfag makes a whine thread about something/everything on the show he/she didn't like
2. Some members tell him off for whining
3. Other members with a like opinion act like they're being discriminated against, get angry
4. Argument begins, 6 pages of dead-horse-beating ensues
5. All the members with half a brain or more avoid the TG section completely because it's mostly shit.
6. Every once in a whole those members are drawn back by an interesting thread title to find that nothing's changed.

Stay classy, TG subforum!

/get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.