Great... [READ ME RIGHT NOW! :( ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viper007Bond said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Viper, can you just link to another server that hosts the torrent files, or does everything need to move?
If it's just the host bitching, then I could probably link. If it's the BBC, probably not.
Good point.
Perhaps a downloads page that simply has a "not so subtle" hint to one or more torrent link sites that has the torrents will work.

For those who suggested mailing to BBC:
I'm sorry, but that's too naive. BBC will never agree to anything like that, there are many reasons why.

Also all of this will be much more illegal after we will get a NO as an answer. I suggest staying in grey area and quietly releasing torrents :)

Here's my 2 cents, I personally don't think that it was the BBC, I know people who work for the US's largest anti-piracy firm which I'd rather not diclose but the name starts with "B" and ends in "TSP" (google "tsp piracy"). I talked with them and the BBC is not a client. All the major US TV stations use their services but that's not saying that the BBC could be using a European anti-piracy company. I can quarantee though that no US anti-piracy company is working for the BBC because there are only 3 companies in the US and a BBC contract would be big new in the industry. Anyway I e-mailed the BBC with some questions about their internet piracy policy for a "school report" so I'm waiting for them to reply. I personally think those that you're in the clear Viper but it's your site so do what ever you feel best.

If the BBC/Hosts really do shut down the downloads of this site, we'll just take it underground.

Just get the torrent out to a few people, who can email/otherwise transfer to a few more each, and so on.

It'll be clumsey, but it'll work fine. 8)

About setting up a server in Sweden. There is a new law about to be issued 1 july,( if i'm right) about sharing/etc copyrighted material. The piratebay.org & piratbyran.org claims that it wont make any different. Someone here maybe know more about this or should look into it...

> If they do manage to get this under way expect them to charge roughly what >they do for TV licenses in the UK.

So how much do you pay for a license in UK?

>bren_35
>the only thing that stands in our way in the UK only thing
:x u can always watch the "swedish top gear" :lol: from our public service channel here: http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=4649&isbroad=false&isclipinfo=false (bosse the car doctor)

As far as im aware, this is no different to me recording top-gear on my VCR and sharing the video with a friend.

I would just continue as you are, and see what happens.

Hey nevyn do you think you could get some torrents of the "swedish top gear"? That was hilarious... The presenter guy is wearing a bow tie and he looks like some of my college professors. Plus its in swedish. Anyway I would love some of those shows.

Well personally, I pay for a TV license in the UK, and Top gear and 5th gear are the ONLY shows I watch.

I usually end up downloading them because I'm not always able to be home when the show airs... TV on-demand if you will.

was waiting so long for this site, and now it's gonna go? that's sad that people are out there that do that just for fun :censored: . hope to see something works out soon.

burnsy said:
was waiting so long for this site, and now it's gonna go? that's sad that people are out there that do that just for fun :censored: . hope to see something works out soon.

The forum is here to stay no matter what, the matter in quesiton is hosting the torrents on this site or someplace else. Nothing major will happen. ;)

HewlandNST said:
Hey nevyn do you think you could get some torrents of the "swedish top gear"? That was hilarious... The presenter guy is wearing a bow tie and he looks like some of my college professors. Plus its in swedish. Anyway I would love some of those shows.

hah...Bosse the car doctor. thx for the link.

But as far as I know, we didn't hear from the BBC, only the host right?

why not keep everythink like is is (which is great) and find a more compliant host, in a less juridicated part of the world, it seems like the easiest and best solution to me.

What's your pro's/con's on that Viper?

Viper, regardless of what your final decision on what to do I'd like to thank you for looking into how to continue with this instead of just forgetting it. We really appreciate it :thumbsup:

This is an unfortunate event. I'm more than happy to continue hosting the forum and everything else, that doesn't need to move, but the torrents.. probably have to go elsewhere.

It's not a case of simply "waiting and seeing what happens" - this is a business that I run, and we simply can't afford to start losing servers.

With that said, I also don't believe this is just the hosts 'meddling', nor that they've seen the hits rise to the site and checked it out. The hosts, in this instance, do little more than provide 100mbps connection to a server. They don't see which site gets hits (we maintain the servers, not them), and there are sites that I host that get 50x the hits of this one, they're not going to notice a thing. Also, if it were the hosts, they would have seen 5th Gear, and listed that as well. It's a little too odd that they've ONLY listed the Top Gear download directories to be removed, when it's plainly obvious there are 2 shows hosted here.

Added to which, the BBC has complained about a number of torrent sites in the recent past, hosting shows such as East Enders etc.

For the time being, I'd say the best idea is to either store the torrents offsite on another server and link to them from here (in that way the upstream providers can't complain, as we're not hosting ANYTHING) or using a central handful of sites and uploading the torrents to them (mininova, piratebay, etc).

What a bitch.

But pulse, where did that email come from? certainly not from your staff right?

that's what I don't get. It'd help a lot if I could understand that part.

And but hosting torrents elsewhere, could we keep the exact same website structure, but when you click "get your torrent here" it would give you a direct link to the torrent, simply hosted somewhere else?

if so, it's not a big deal...

If it's of any help, I can help host the .torrent files on my server. Viper, you know I'm always available to help. And my server is not with ev1. Just let me know.

-d

Yes, I believe your suggestion is right. So long as we're not hosting the actual torrent, I'm pretty sure everything will be okay. The website and forum certainly don't need to go anywhere.

To help you understand the hosting structure, I own Web-Axis Hosting (so FinalGear's hosts have known from the start what goes on here). We rent bandwidth and hardware from a company based in Texas. Although they have nothing to do with the daily management of our servers, they're still OUR hosts.

We effectively resell their services, but we run them too (if that makes any sense).

So in a kind of pecking order, it's

(INTERNET)
-> Ev1servers
--> Web-Axis Hosting
---> FinalGear.com

And it's EV1 that have complained, or received a complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.