Gremlin, the lil' hot rod, lol. :)

8bitter

Car(s)
BMW 530i
Gremlin had a stronger body than Vega or Pinto. Better build up potential as a small hi performance car, and quite good looking before the 1973/74 impact bumpers came.:cool:

Gremlin 401-XR

Gremlin-623x860.jpg

Is that a parody ad?

I was mostly looking at the pathetic plea at the end about "If you had to compete with GM, Ford and Chrysler what would you do". That can't be real, can it?

more mass = more inertia = smoother ride :p

All joking aside, that was pretty much it. The other option was the Beetle and the associated early Japanese imports which were small, tinny and rode like crap. They also tended to crush like beer cans in any accident due to their very light construction, often killing their occupants. Weight was generally (and at the time correctly) associated with a better ride and a vehicle that was not a deathtrap. That still has merit even today save for the 'smaller cars invariably being deathtraps' thing.

Things would change later in the 70s.

The Gremlin is my of my guilty pleasure cars. It's just so funky I don't care that it's total crap.

Certainly better than the fucking Pacer. Fuck that thing. Even in their ads the guys all like "LOL WTF??"

Ah...the mirth mobile.

Gremlins are sweet. I'd love one with a 401 and a 4spd. Pacers are cool too, in a strange quirky way.

Gremlins are sweet. I'd love one with a 401 and a 4spd. Pacers are cool too, in a strange quirky way.

Great thing about Gremlin, Hornet and Pacer was that they were compact, affordable and rear drive. This meant you could drop a serious V8 in one and not worry about chassis flex.:cool:

Great thing about Gremlin, Hornet and Pacer was that they were compact, affordable and rear drive. This meant you could drop a serious V8 in one and not worry about chassis flex.:cool:

No.

I had all 3 of those POS's.

My first car was a cream colored 77 Gremlin that was a POS when I bought it, and was a POS when I finally gave it away. The Pacer wasn't so bad really. Other than drank gas like..well...like a Pacer and was embarrassing to drive.

The Hornet station wagon was so bad I still have nightmares. To anyone who comments on how cool they were...get one and drive the POS as your only car for a few months and then get back to me.

So. Just. No.

No.

I had all 3 of those POS's.

My first car was a cream colored 77 Gremlin that was a POS when I bought it, and was a POS when I finally gave it away. The Pacer wasn't so bad really. Other than drank gas like..well...like a Pacer and was embarrassing to drive.

The Hornet station wagon was so bad I still have nightmares. To anyone who comments on how cool they were...get one and drive the POS as your only car for a few months and then get back to me.

So. Just. No.

And how old exactly and in what condition were these cars by the time you got 'em? There is a difference between near new and a 10 owner winter beater.:)

Gremmie!

They needed a small hatchback with an economical engine... so they built a mid-sized barge with a coastguard gunship powerstation in it.

I bless them! (at least for the concept) ((altho, call me, but i like design too))

Last edited: