Grosser Preis von ?sterreich 2014

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
So back to the old A1 Ring, now Red Bull Ring, finally the current world champions have a true home race.
Also back home, Mercedes' Niki Lauda.

F3-2013-red-bull-ring.jpg

What is this crap I'm hearing that Mercedes and Ferraro have fitted titanium plates somewhere to make artificial sparks?!
Give me a fucking break!

It's like every day is an April Fool's day at the moment. The other stupid story I've read is standing starts after the safety car period for 2015.

Hate that awful Fly Emirates graphic superimposed over the runoff through the mid section. What an eyesore.

Anyway interesting session so far, a few drivers are struggling with the final corner, both Red Bulls have been in trouble on the exit getting a bit loose on the astroturf.

i haven't heard anything yet about the standing start after a safety car, but i don't think that's a bad thing?

first standing starts > rolling starts, in any type of racing
and the safety car wouldn't have to stay out for over 10 additional laps just because chilton has to go all the way round

The track's location is very nice, scenery wise, but isn't the track far too narrow?

And it's Red Bull F1's "home race" as much as the German grand prix is Mercedes F1's "home race"; their board members collect their post in the same country as the track.

Fake sparks are lame but no more desperate than double points. I'm against extra standing starts partly because of the safety issue (it's the most dangerous part of the race) and partly because of the fairness issue; it'd be too easy for someone who was fastest all day and earned a lead to lose his lead because of random clutch effects on the run to the first corner on a restart near the end.

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about the sparks, so they want to make it more visually interesting as cars go through corners and such, who cares! Maybe if it affects the performance of the car but it won't, it's just some sparks to bring back some nostalgia there are bigger things to make a big deal out of without complaining about the sparks.

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about the sparks, so they want to make it more visually interesting as cars go through corners and such, who cares! Maybe if it affects the performance of the car but it won't, it's just some sparks to bring back some nostalgia there are bigger things to make a big deal out of without complaining about the sparks.

Exactly, there are bigger things out there that need addressing BEFORE we get to the pity little issue of whether there are contrived sparks to improve the show.

Why are they encouraging the cars to bottom out? Bottoming out can be dangerous at the wrong times as it takes weight off of the tires. This is insane.

Why are they encouraging the cars to bottom out? Bottoming out can be dangerous at the wrong times as it takes weight off of the tires. This is insane.

I think they're just changing the material to make bottoming out more visible, not actually bottoming the cars out more?

And it's Red Bull F1's "home race" as much as the German grand prix is Mercedes F1's "home race"; their board members collect their post in the same country as the track.

That's not quite true. While most of the manufacturing is done in Milton Keynes, a significant portion of Red Bull Technologies resides in Austria and if the latest rumours about their own engine are true, most of it will be built in Styria.

Felipe on Pole position, Hamilton didn't even set a lap time so he's behind Kimi which will be interesting.

Who would have thought a Williams 1-2 was even remotely possible last year?

Damn so close for Bottas, but he went off on the second try so Massa deserved it! Lets see how Williams blow their chance tomorrow.

Hamilton seems to be making his title bid harder and harder. Rosberg has really but some pressure on him. Ricciardo was great again.

Hamilton in P9 should be fun to watch make his way up for the first like, dozen laps. I can't imagine the Williams being faster than the Mercs in the race but then again I didn't think they would be faster in qualifying.

i haven't heard anything yet about the standing start after a safety car, but i don't think that's a bad thing?

first standing starts > rolling starts, in any type of racing
and the safety car wouldn't have to stay out for over 10 additional laps just because chilton has to go all the way round

Hey, let's send out the safety car cos there is a safety issue. And right after that, let's make a standing start and see if we get another safety issue right into the first corner.

Let's see how this goes tomorrow. Im excited for Williams on the first row but Im not expecting it to last a whole lot. Won't even be surprised if Hamilton wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, there are bigger things out there that need addressing BEFORE we get to the pity little issue of whether there are contrived sparks to improve the show.

Yes, because nobody complained this year about anything.
No one said this was a major issue, just another issue on a long list of issues, which start to sound really ridiculous.

My yard stick has always been, how hard would it be to convince someone to become a new F1 fan. Just how much of an idiot do you reckon you'll sound like when someone new to the sport asks
"hey why are there sparks coming out the bottom of the car"
-Huurrr... er.... they put little metal plates there so they'll spark"
"Huh, what? that's lame, screw this"
-No, wait, it's a nostalgia thing! Back when F1 was cool the cars were so low... wait, come back!! We have DRS!!"

My yard stick has always been, how hard would it be to convince someone to become a new F1 fan. Just how much of an idiot do you reckon you'll sound like when someone new to the sport asks
-No, wait, it's a nostalgia thing! Back when F1 was cool the cars were so low... wait, come back!! We have DRS!!"

We all think it's great that 80s cars sparked when they bottomed out. I'm fairly sure those sparks weren't coming from planks of wood under the car. Now we have cars that bottom out (probably less often, but still) without the minor visual spectacle of sparks and bringing them back is... bad? It's not like they'll mandate feelers that constantly drag along the track, just changing the rules so that the lowest part of the car doesn't have to be wood. The design changes should be minimal and if it makes the experience slightly more attractive, why not? I guess next you'll say the engines shouldn't be made louder just because it's a desperate measure to appease viewers...

I think if sparks is what drives them away from the sport than they probably weren't going to be all that interested to begin with, I figure the better yard stick is Senna, even non-f1 fans get into that movie big time and it's what got me watching F1, there's also Ferrari
Why you should sit around stressing about some sparks is to me, ridiculous, if anything they'll say "Hur, look at them sparks. Them cars are hardcore."

Last edited:
I literally facepalmed.

Can anyone explain why the wooden plank is there? Why sparks happened because of how cars were designed and not the other way around? I really don't feel like it.