GT4 Stats

I'm at 50% and just passed my iA license - but my PS2 has just died on me :cry:

Well, it was 5 years old, it was bound to die sooner or later, but WHY OH WHY when I'd got so into GT4 :(

I pity you! Consoles getting wasted is crap... I guess 90% of all Atari vcs 2600 still work! Those new consoles are really bad...

Buba

Overheat said:
I'm at 50% and just passed my iA license - but my PS2 has just died on me :cry:

Well, it was 5 years old, it was bound to die sooner or later, but WHY OH WHY when I'd got so into GT4 :(
Guess what, mine died yesterday too. I can play any single layer games, but dual layer discs (such as GT4) bring on the dreaded 'Disc Read Error'. :cry: It started to act up a bit after my 24 hour no-pausing endurance race and now will not read GT4 at all.

I have a launch PS2, so I guess I should be happy that it lasted this long, but I am fairly pissed off that I can't play GT4. Because of a class action lawsuit a while back against Sony a while back they have to fix any PS2s with Disc Read Errors. It will mean 1-3 weeks without my PS2 though. :(

(And just as a note, it isn't that Sony is nice and will repair your DRE'ing PS2 for you - they refused to until they lost the class action lawsuit.)

They have to repair them?

But on your expense... There are tons of cheap ass PS2s on ebay being sold with that error...

Buba

^ You have to pay shipping to send the package to the repair facility, but they have to fix any 'Disc Read Error' problems on PS2s for no charge to the customer.

You phone them up, you explain that you are getting DRE's when playing games, and they set you up for service. Simple as that. I know this applies to Canada and the United States, but I'm not sure about the UK or Europe.

Same thing happened to me, GT4 stopped working (instead of the outline of a white clock when loading after races, it turns red....) The disc looks damaged as well, like a ring going around it....

Sony told me it will take like 8 weeks to repair. I believe they also said they would do something about the game

^ I've heard it is a maximum of 3 weeks for repairs, but with Gran Turismo 4 out now I would imagine they are getting a lot more calls. 8 weeks is a incredibly long time for any sort of repair - I hightly doubt it would actually take that long.

The issue is with the laser on the PS2. It will generally work fine with single layer DVD games, but dual layer games the laser, and old or worn laser will no longer be able to read the disc. Gran Turismo 4 is one of the first games to use dual layer technology, so people woulnd't really notice any issues until now (unless their PS2 as a DVD player - most new DVDs are dual layer).

Opening up your PS2 and cleaning the laser can work, but it is generally only a temporary fix. I don't think I'm going to bother opening it up though. I'm just going to buy a couple new GameCube games to keep me busy and send it off.

(Note: if you have a mod chip in your PS2, Sony will not fix it. If your post has been opened up but not modified it they will still fix it [this applies to me since I had to open my PS2 to fix a jammed fan after it was dropped], but mod chips instantly void your warranty)

Just bought all 4 of the black LMP cars yesterday. :thumbsup:

Thanks, i'll be sending it out soon enough. Been using it as a dvd player only now, since my sony dvd player stopped working a while back (it's years old as well).

Buba said:
I pity you! Consoles getting wasted is crap... I guess 90% of all Atari vcs 2600 still work! Those new consoles are really bad...

Buba

I have to disagree....I had or have about 5 consoles (MS,SNES,PSone,PS2,XBOX) and none of them died. Perhaps I treat them the right way ;) or I?m just lucky. They also don?t have to handle smoke, because I?m a non-smoker :thumbsup:

now to topic:
I have two stats:
About 70% on my Jap-GT4 which I had since 12/31/04 and
about 30% on my Pal-GT4.

Of course I don?t play my jap-GT4 any more but it helped me to wait for the Pal-version. I also don?t have 100% Win-ration because of entering with too slow cars and stuff and I don?t reset my PS2. I also take my time in testdriving pretty much every car, I like and also taking photos in the very cool photo-mode.

Every race that has more than 5 rounds is made by my B-Spec Buddy :p
Take the Toyota 88 Minolta for the last Cup in Profi Hall. :thumbsup:

You can win it in the endurance of El Capitan (200 miles) which is a very easy one.

My goal is to get my Arcade-garage filled with every car in the game. I have 316 and the game has 720 or so. I copied the official carlist and market all the ones I already have.....man there must be 30 different Skylines and lots of Lancers and stuff.

Still a very cool game
:driving:
also looking for Midnight Club3 and Forza to come into my house in April or May :D

Faultier said:
Buba said:

Buba

I have to disagree....I had or have about 5 consoles (MS,SNES,PSone,PS2,XBOX) and none of them died. Perhaps I treat them the right way ;) or I?m just lucky. They also don?t have to handle smoke, because I?m a non-smoker :thumbsup:
The chances of a cartridge based console dying is nearly non-existant since they have hardly any moving parts (usually none) and nothing as complicated as a laser in them.

Any disc\laser based system will die out. It's inevitable. As soon as I get my PS2 back from service I'm going to be sticking a hard drive in it and getting a HDLoader to preserve the laser as long as I can.

zenon said:
Faultier said:
Buba said:

Buba

The chances of a cartridge based console dying is nearly non-existant since they have hardly any moving parts (usually none) and nothing as complicated as a laser in them.

Any disc\laser based system will die out. It's inevitable. As soon as I get my PS2 back from service I'm going to be sticking a hard drive in it and getting a HDLoader to preserve the laser as long as I can.

You make me scared :cry:

mine died the day I got GT4, how badly does that suck? And one of my mates was having the DRE with his PS2 so he phoned up sony (this in UK) and they send they would repair it for free but he would have to send it to Japan, and sending something the size and weight of a PS2 to Japan from the UK is not cheap, so as soon as I have the money I'm buying a new PStwo

Skett said:
mine died the day I got GT4, how badly does that suck? And one of my mates was having the DRE with his PS2 so he phoned up sony (this in UK) and they send they would repair it for free but he would have to send it to Japan, and sending something the size and weight of a PS2 to Japan from the UK is not cheap, so as soon as I have the money I'm buying a new PStwo

the worst nightmare :cry:
This always come in my mind when waiting for a new game. Will my PS2 die just before or shortly I got the game.

It never happened *aufholzklopf*

Hope you get a new console soon :cheers: try to sale some of your stuff and maybe you can save the money for it :)

^ My recomendtation to all of you is to get a HDLoader or HDAdvance after either getting a new PS2 or getting it repaired. You will save tonnes of wear and tear on the laser. The only major downside is that Gran Turismo 4 can be difficult to install, but other than that you will end up prolonging the life of your PS2 by a lot.

I'm probably going to send my PS2 off for service next week and order a HDAdvance disc.

I?m not quite sure but I heard that GT4 will not function with HDloader and the new PStwo small won?t be able to cope with it neither :|

Pray that your PS2 will last forever :thumbsup:

I live in Denmark, and GT4 was launched just a month ago here... My PS2 had worked perfectly for 4 years, and when I got this game, it suddenly couldn't read the discs properly any longer... I think they have stuffed way too much down on this DVD for the old PS2s to cope with... At least that's what I'm thinking has happened to mine... :(

Oh man, I want to have PS2 and GT4!!! Every car mag and show is full of GT4. :cry: I wish I could spend on it, but I have to save money for a car.

For anyone who cares, im on 71.6% at the moment...is there anyone else that is this high? If you dont believe me I could post a pic or wateva sometime.

I'v had the game for a little bit over a month now and am totally addicted to it like all the other Gran Turismo games in the series.

My goal is to beat my final GT3 percentage of 89_something.