GTA IV (PC)

Have you got it installed yet :p
Just got it, and its a long install, almost finished, all 16gb of it. Ships with 2 DVDs.

^ Dang, it was so slow. Took somewhere between 45 minutes and one hour, and obviously I'm not on a slow machine.

All the crapware installs didn't help either... Games for Windows Live, Rockstar Games Social Club, updates, SecuROM.

But, I'm just about to start it up. Will report back. :D

Well fuck that, it started up once after putting me through a lot of signing up bullshit, and now it won't start again.

I get some fatal error, looks like others are having the same problem with no solutions as of yet.

So much for buying games legally. :rolleyes: :mad:

Is it any fun??? Obviously it's a rhetorical question, but hey, what else can I do at this point?? How is it compared to the XBOX and PS3 versions?

I can't play either, error before game loads. It seems pretty problematic from what I have read. Crashes, and low FPS even on high-end machines. I'd wait till theres a fix.
Update: GAHH after updating to XP sp3 it just errors in a different spot....

Last edited:
I got it working, temporarily at least.

Just sign out of Rockstar Social Club and start the game, don't pay any attention when it tells you you're not logged in. Play the game and when it asks you to sign in to Windows Live to save, you can do so and save your game.

This is a hassle, but it should work until they release a fix. Otherwise, the game is great. I get about 40fps on max resolution, though it won't go to 1920x1080 for me. The maximum I can set it to is one notch below that, not sure why.

It looks great, and is so much more realistic than previous GTA games. Finally, your car gets blood spattered on it when you run people over. :ninja:

It looks much better and runs more smoothly than console version, both 360 and PS3. Overall a great game, but somewhat of a poor radio.

I bet this is the last time we'll see a Grand Theft Auto on PC. Rockstar hated how many people pirated San Andreas, and didn't approve of the modded San Andreas Multiplayer (to say the least).

I wouldn't be so sure... the new game seems very hard to pirate. I mean, you can't even save your single player game unless you sign into Windows Live.

Plus, who has the patience to download 14 gigs of data?

getting it tonight, im prepared for poor performance ready to tweak :rolleyes: passed minimum req at least :lol: and they shouldnt worry about pirating, as someone already pointed out you cant save without login in to live. i read that there was the same "problem" with quantum of solace game.. and a decent multiplayer (i hope). never played GTA IV before, been waiting for the pc version :)

getting it tonight, im prepared for poor performance ready to tweak :rolleyes: passed minimum req at least :lol: and they shouldnt worry about pirating, as someone already pointed out you cant save without login in to live. i read that there was the same "problem" with quantum of solace game.. and a decent multiplayer (i hope). never played GTA IV before, been waiting for the pc version :)

If history has taught us something, its: "Don't underestimate the will of people not willing to pay for things"

I have high hopes in RELOADED or some other scene group cracking this game sometime soon. They rarely let us down.

Not that it matters though, since im running p4 3.0ghz and ati x1600 pro :mad::mad:

they didnt managed to do it with quantum of solace, they only cracked it so you could play.. not save.. so therefore pretty pointless <.> if you dont have the game running til you complete it :D lol

I was thinking about buying this one, but it seems just to be a bag of hurt, so i'll probably skip this one.. :(

Wait.....you have to have the internet to play this game? Even though I have cable internet and it wouldn't be an issue, I still hate games that do that. I understand that you would want to protect it from people pirating, its pretty silly not being able to play unless connected. What if I wanted to play on my lappy and there was no connection? Glad I have it for PS3 already. No way I would purchase it for PC now.

JH

they didnt managed to do it with quantum of solace, they only cracked it so you could play.. not save.. so therefore pretty pointless <.> if you dont have the game running til you complete it :D lol

Bullshit, I played QoS on the PC, saving and everything worked perfectly...

not for me and alot of other people:blink:

anyways;
http://www.gta4.net/news/4161/gta-iv-pc-issues/

Today Rockstar Games got in touch with us, and they would like to assure fans that they are working to help solve the issues with GTA IV PC as quickly as possible. They advise anyone that is encountering difficulties to contact their local technical support helpline for advice and recommendations. These telephone numbers can be found in the game?s manual. You can also refer to Rockstar's support site, which provides regularly updated technical information and solutions to common problems, including a complete list of error codes, and some advice on how to use the graphics settings.

Does anyone know if there will be a demo? I would like to see if my PC can run this game before I get it. Yes, I will actually buy it because I don't think I'll be patient enough to download all of its 16 gigabyteness.

It's too bad about the current problems it's having even on high-end PCs, but I'm sure they will fix them with some patches.