GTA IV (PC)

Why can't it be the 18th already :(

I'll have to pass the message on about this, I know someone who is eagerly awaiting the PC version. :)

COUSIN! LET'S GO BOWLING!

^

:lmao:

Why can't it be the 18th already :(

Argh, I know... I haven't seen, played or even read about the console versions. It's been a long wait.

But at least there's CoD5 to tide us over until the 18th. :D

Hopefully everyone here in the states is aware that they moved the release date back to December 2nd for PC. Not sure if its different across the pond or what......

Damn you guys with your fast PCs. Any chance of a Athlon 64 3000+ with 1 gig of RAM and a 6600 Vanilla running this?

Hopefully everyone here in the states is aware that they moved the release date back to December 2nd for PC. Not sure if its different across the pond or what......

It appears that way, dammit.

Why would they do this?

Guess it's good that I have the rest of this month to finish Red Alert 3 and Fallout 3...

I don't see how they are going to use up 18gb of hdd space. Are they going to ship 5 DVDs? BluRay? Or are they going to make us sit through 14gb of downloads to complete the install? Otherwise they must be using some incredible file compression to unpack an 8gb DVD into 18 friggin gigs.
Edit: well, I guess they could be using DVD-18 now that I think about it...

@Ilpav: Just so you know, you can overclock the crap out of that Wolfdale if you want. You can probably get 3.0ghz off of stock cooling alone as people have been getting 4.0ghz rock solid with water cooling rigs...

Last edited:

@Ilpav: Just so you know, you can overclock the crap out of that Wolfdale if you want. You can probably get 3.0ghz off of stock cooling alone as people have been getting 4.0ghz rock solid with water cooling rigs...

I wish you could say the same to a 3.06Ghz, 2GB RAM, ONBOARD X200 SOMETHING CRAPTERGATED CRAPSET :( (I cant remember the name of this useless thing at the moment.)
:cry:

Guess it's good that I have the rest of this month to finish Red Alert 3 and Fallout 3...

I don't see how they are going to use up 18gb of hdd space. Are they going to ship 5 DVDs? BluRay? Or are they going to make us sit through 14gb of downloads to complete the install? Otherwise they must be using some incredible file compression to unpack an 8gb DVD into 18 friggin gigs.

Yeah, but 3.0 GHz won't be that much faster than 2.66 GHz, right, so I probably wouldn't do that.

C2D 2.66 GHz will most probably be plenty to run this game.

It's not going to be a huge difference, but an increase of ~400MHZ is still substantial. Plus the overclock affects both cores, so the end result is an increase of ~800MHZ. Yeah, I know the gains from overclocking multi core processors aren't linear to the speed increase, but still, many of Intel's multi core processors have potential for big overclocks. I currently have a Yorksfield Q9550 running solid at 3.6 GHz (2.8 stock) and the only problems I have are because ATI's drivers for the 4870 are crap and Logitech's SetPoint drivers aren't written for a 64 bit OS.

I'm not saying that a stock Wolfdale isn't any good, it's just that you can get more out of it for free if you feel so inclined. Overclocking isn't for everybody as there are alot of ways to screw up your PC (especially with an advanced BIOS like the RAMPAGE Forumula that I loaded onto my P5E Deluxe) and you'll want to look into an aftermarket cooling solution if you want to see some real returns. Although, honestly, the specs you listed as your upgrade will run most of the latest games with no problems.

@Archie411: sorry mang, you're kinda stuck where you're at with a pentium 4, especially if it's the socket 478 as they don't offer much leeway above stock. I could barely meek out 3.4GHz off of a 3.2 with a huge swiftech heatsink and i875P mobo back in 2003.

If you are running a Core 2 Processor at 2.66ghz, and plan to OC it to 3.0ghz, it wouldn't make much of a difference. this is an excerpt from a video card guide that I made in another forum.

WHAT IS A BOTTLENECK?
What IS a bottleneck? A condition in a system where one component is slower than the rest at its given task and causes the other components to sit around and 'wait' for it so that it can continue it's work.

Let me reiterate further. Like I said, if you are benchmarking and looking for the maximum FPS, then you will notice the reduced FPS results being produced. BUT, if you are a normal gamer, here are a few important facts:

1. Your LCD can only output 60-75hz, meaning you can only see 60-75fps, making the LCD the REAL BOTTLENECK
2. Given this is so, if your GPU can render 1000fps, and your slower CPU can render 100fps, therefore, your monitor software (FRAPS) will be showing 100fps,
3.There is still no real bottleneck since the eye cannot see anything more than 75fps.
4. How can you compensate for this? easy. MAX OUT ALL THE DETAILS!!! (AA/AF/ETC). Why? Your CPU can render only 100fps while your GPU can render 1000... therefore, there is so much potential your GPU is not using. Use this untapped potential and turn everything on!

To hell with buying a new CPU that will only make allow my GPU to render images THAT NO ONE WILL EVER SEE! That's right, your GPU be rendering images, just to erase them because your monitor cannot display as many as it puts out! Why would you even do that? WHY?! It's utterly pointless.

So, go ahead and buy your HD4870... but don't get a Penryn/MoBo/DDR3 too. Just save the 20k from the proposed upgrade and buy a huge monitor and CRANK the EYE CANDY!

read this for more info:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gpu-upgrade,1928.html

here is the link to my guide if you want to read the entire thing:
http://www.pc-experts.org/index.php?topic=21117.0 <--- Look under Section VIII

anyway, that article would be applicable if you are running a low-end CPU and are asking if that CPU will bottleneck the mid-range to high-end video card that you are planning to purchase. I say GO and buy that video card and don't worry too much about your CPU especially if it is a Core2duo (at whatever clock speed). Pentium 4's and below need not apply...sorry bout that. :(

My Pentium D 945 is clocked a t 4.2ghz which is equivalent in speed and power to a 2.2ghz Core2Duo. It's just the right match for my 8800GTS 512. :)

double post

My best gaming PC is a Pentium 4 2.2 GHZ, 1 GB PC2100 RAM, Radeon 9600 256 MB desktop with Vista, so I don't see this running anytime soon. PS3 version was great, though, and it will be interesting to see what the modding community can do with this (5 bucks says that someone will try to recreate SA with the GTA 4 engine).

My best gaming PC is a Pentium 4 2.2 GHZ, 1 GB PC2100 RAM, Radeon 9600 256 MB desktop with Vista, so I don't see this running anytime soon. PS3 version was great, though, and it will be interesting to see what the modding community can do with this (5 bucks says that someone will try to recreate SA with the GTA 4 engine).

Why the hell are you running Vista with that? Isn't it unbearably slow?

So, it's the 2nd of December. Is it out yet?

FutureShop says it's out the 4th, somewhere else said the 8th. I'm actually thinking of buying this one...

Edit: I bought it! I bought it! I bought it! Been waiting for it since I built my "gaming" PC in the winter... needless to say, I'm ZOMG excited.

Last edited: