Guilty Pleasures

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
AKA the "Make Rick Feel Better About Loving Craptacular Cars" thread. Because, let's be honest, we all have a little Rick in us.

I'm curious if anyone else has a love for a car that is craptacular in every way, but you still want one anyway.

I have a soft spot for these, wood paneling and all:

rWAAxiB.jpg

J8mhnZ2.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly wonder about doing a full powertrain swap and restro-mod on an AMC Eagle.

VW Polo 2F.

1280px-Polo_2F_G40.jpg

In black, in coup? form as pictured, and slightly chavvy modified. And of course with the G40 engine (or as a completely bonkers modern-engine-gearbox-suspension-and-brakes swap).
I love those because they were basically the last of the European mini hatchbacks with a decently low seating position. And because I drove the shit out of one (the 45 PS version though) during my civil service, which was tremendous fun.

*rubs hands together*

Oh boy. Where to begin?

I know: Fiat 147 or 127 if you're in Europe.

fiat-147-rebaixado.jpg

Or maybe a bit more subtle:

maxresdefault.jpg

I want to get one and put a modern drivetrain on it, just for reliability. They are sooooooo nice to drive, reminds me a lot of the Zastava I drove during Ringmeet.

AKA the "Make Rick Feel Better About Loving Craptacular Cars" thread. Because, let's be honest, we all have a little Rick in us.

I'm curious if anyone else has a love for a car that is craptacular in every way, but you still want one anyway.

I have a soft spot for these, wood paneling and all:

rWAAxiB.jpg

J8mhnZ2.jpg

Those actually weren't craptacular. The AMC 360 engine in the Wagoneer isn't great, but the vehicle is capable and lived up to its billing.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wonder about doing a full powertrain swap and restro-mod on an AMC Eagle.

It's been done. The later 4.0L driveline from an XJ Cherokee or a Wrangler drops right in.

I'm not sure I want the I6 4.0. They are pretty good motors, for the most part, but the fuel economy sucks. I was thinking more like the new diesel I4 turbo from Cummins mated to an appropriate transmission.

rhd_roadster_5-.jpg

I like the way it looks and the principle of something tiny like this that isn't a Caterham or an Elise. With the right drivetrain it could probably be awesome too.

I'm not sure I want the I6 4.0. They are pretty good motors, for the most part, but the fuel economy sucks. I was thinking more like the new diesel I4 turbo from Cummins mated to an appropriate transmission.

You're aware that such conversions are completely illegal in all 50 states and that while the EPA does not actively have a police force out looking for violations, if you get stopped on Federal land or property (miltary base, Federal security reservation, public airport) with such a converted vehicle, you can have your vehicle confiscated and potentially be subject to a 10 year (in pound-me-in-the-arse prison) sentence and $100K fine, right?

Several guys who went offroading in Big Bend National Park recently ran afoul of the US Park Rangers who casually noticed their vehicles. The diesel-converted vehicles were seized and destroyed without compensation and the owners were told that they were getting off lightly by not having criminal charges filed against them.

It is illegal everywhere in the US to convert a gasoline powered vehicle that was subject to emissions controls when new and was *not* sold in an EPA compliant diesel version to diesel power, period. No exceptions. It's why I never converted *my* Grand Wagoneer to use something else when the AMC 360 failed - I had to work on a Federal reservation at the time.

2008-saab-9-7x-aero-photo-105526-s-429x262.jpg

I have annoyed many local FGers by threatening to buy one.

I don't have any. I am very open with the fact I adore shitty cars.

You're aware that such conversions are completely illegal in all 50 states and that while the EPA does not actively have a police force out looking for violations, if you get stopped on Federal land or property (miltary base, Federal security reservation, public airport) with such a converted vehicle, you can have your vehicle confiscated and potentially be subject to a 10 year (in pound-me-in-the-arse prison) sentence and $100K fine, right?

Several guys who went offroading in Big Bend National Park recently ran afoul of the US Park Rangers who casually noticed their vehicles. The diesel-converted vehicles were seized and destroyed without compensation and the owners were told that they were getting off lightly by not having criminal charges filed against them.

It is illegal everywhere in the US to convert a gasoline powered vehicle that was subject to emissions controls when new and was *not* sold in an EPA compliant diesel version to diesel power, period. No exceptions. It's why I never converted *my* Grand Wagoneer to use something else when the AMC 360 failed - I had to work on a Federal reservation at the time.

Yep, I'm aware. I also know that conversions are pretty common and that it is highly unusual to get into any kind of trouble for it. Hell, most rangers would have no idea what engine is under the hood or whether or not it was ever available in diesel at all. Dirt Every Day even did a Cummins swap into a TJ and put it up on YouTube and no one showed up to confiscate Tube Sock or slap them with prison or fines.

The fact is, unless you are doing something pretty damn stupid to get federal attention in the first place, you won't have a problem. I'm still planning on diesel swapping the Xterra if I manage to get enough money together before the chassis and body are no longer serviceable.

- - - Updated - - -

Just LOOK at it, can't help but love it.
Isuzu-VehiCross-front-view.jpg

I wasn't aware those were particularly bad. Everyone I know who has owned one loved having it and how well it performed off road. You can still show up with one at any 4WD event and have Jeep, Toyota, and Nissan guys all agree that it's a badass vehicle (before we go back to throwing stones at each other).

If you ever need parts from a diesel XTerra, I'm here. :p :lol:

I would look at using a Cummins motor from here in the US. It is already EPA compliant out of the box (aside from putting it in a gasoline chassis) so I will pass state emissions.

DSC8165.jpg

I have been having an urge to sell the W124 and buy a nicely presented example of this.

You two got it wrong. Those are not craptacular cars. :D

The 3rd gen F-Bodies promise speed and sporty handling, yet they deliver neither (without mods). They are also shoddily built and attract rednecks. Yet I still want one. I'd say that could be viewed as a guilty pleasure then.