Guiness WR Dont Recognise The Veyron As Fastest Car

I think I read it in an Interview with Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder in ADAC or Volkswagen Magazine.

E: http://www.spiegel.de/auto/werkstatt/0,1518,351118,00.html

Volkswagen wolle mit dem Bugatti Veyron seine "technische Kompetenz" beweisen, betont Volkswagen-Chef Bernd Pischetsrieder. "Andere nutzen dazu die Formel 1, aber uns kostet dies Bugatti-Projekt insgesamt nicht mehr, als andere Konzerne allein f?r eine einzige Formel-1-Saison ausgeben."

Tr:
Volkswagen wants to prove its "technical competence" with the Bugatti, emphasizes Volkswagen-Boss Bernd Pischetsrieder. "Others use Formula One for that, but this whole Bugatti project doesn't cost us more than what other companies spend for a single Formula One season."

un-dee said:
According to VW the whole Veyron project cost them less than a single season of Formula 1 for BMW or Merc, and it was never meant to be profitable.
To be honest I think that money is well spent, I like that kind of thinking.

And Blix, stop pretending to be so much smarter than everybody else. You are not.
I could believe that, a lot of super cars are made from passion not just from a money making point of view. I think VW would of still done it even if it were to cost them more, they are after all very rich and have the backing of all its VW group manufacturers, some took a big part in the Veyron's building and development.

un-dee said:
I think I read it in an Interview with Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder in ADAC or Volkswagen Magazine.

E: http://www.spiegel.de/auto/werkstatt/0,1518,351118,00.html

Volkswagen wolle mit dem Bugatti Veyron seine "technische Kompetenz" beweisen, betont Volkswagen-Chef Bernd Pischetsrieder. "Andere nutzen dazu die Formel 1, aber uns kostet dies Bugatti-Projekt insgesamt nicht mehr, als andere Konzerne allein f?r eine einzige Formel-1-Saison ausgeben."

Tr:
Volkswagen wants to prove its "technical competence" with the Bugatti, emphasizes Volkswagen-Boss Bernd Pischetsrieder. "Others use Formula One for that, but this whole Bugatti project doesn't cost us more than what other companies spend for a single Formula One season."

That really interesting. I'd say well done VW that would be good trend, companies making ubercars, sell a few at a minor loss for the comapny.
That was an amzing breakthrough and just think what Porsche, Ferrari, or even GM could do?

British_Rover said:
Vitamin J said:
ArosaMike said:
Just to get this straight....weight has NO EFFECT ON TOP SPEED. A heavier car does not have more rolling resistance.
You're wrong.

The equation for friction includes Force (weight). Increasing the amount of force on the ground increases friction.

Rolling resistance plays a small role in top speed, but it does play a role, and saying it has no effect is stupid.

At speeds over 200 mph wind resistance is much, much greater then any other form of drag. Rolling resistance is negligiable when compared to wind resistance.

True, but not entirely valid. Just because something is much smaller than the air resistance does not mean it is insignificant. Air resistance is so incredibly massive at 250mph that something an order of magnitude smaller can still have a quite noticeable affect on top speed.

While it is true that the increase in rolling resistance is insignificant for added weight, that is not the only type of friction affecting the car. The factor that affects top speed that is dependent on vehicle weight is internal Coulomb friction, not rolling resistance.

Example- Imagine you are the point at which the chassis attaches to the axle. There is contact there between the rotating axle and the non-rotating chassis. There is obviously friction here, no matter how good the bearings, and no matter how good the lubricant. In fact, at high speeds, there is going to be an significant amount of friction (assuming ~25 inch tire diameter, the rear axle is turning 61 rotations per second). Now, it has been stated (correctly) earlier that F=u*N (sorry, I don't know how to write mu). This means that if you add say, 500lb to the veyron, that the internal friction of the wheel bearings and other mounting points would increase 12%.

That is significant. I don't know the force in Newtons (I feel VW wouldn't respond quickly to emails about the internal friction of their wheel bearings), but it is far more than the 150N ArosaMike showed rolling resistance to be. It may only absorb 10hp at that speed, but then again the Koenigsegg CCR only beat the McLaren by .77MPH according to the Guinness Book of Records.

This doesn't matter to the Veryon of course, because the 253 is a computer limit to keep the tires from shredding. But it will matter to Saleen or Koenigsegg when they try to re-break the Veyron's record (whenever someone gets around to calling Guinness and arranging a test date).

Sorry for the long post, [/nerd].

Well OK. It makes a tiny tiny difference, but it really is negligable. You'll find if you talk to every vehicle engineer around they'd tell you it's hardly worth worrying about. There are far more severe penalties for having a car that you'd notice before the 1mph deficit in top speed!

Its a lot more than 1mph. At about 120km/h air resistance and rolling resistance are about the same, after that the air resistance increases rapidly (being a quadratic function afaik)

I wasn't talking about air resistance at all! Of course that has a huge effect on the top speed. That and power are generally the two limiting factors of a cars VMax.