Guiness WR Dont Recognise The Veyron As Fastest Car

vRS

Car(s)
'99 BMW 323i SE
car_photo_208554_5.jpg

Bugatti's awesome Veyron isn't the world's fastest production car - not according to the Guinness Book of Records, at least.

The supercar's 253mph top speed has never been verified by the organisation, but Bugatti plans to settle the matter next month at owner VW's Ehra-Lessien track in Germany. Current Guinness champ is Swe?den's 245mph Koenigsegg CCR.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/202843/record_breaker_stalls.html

Just saw this, wonder how fast it will go to set the record?

they say they limited the topspeed because the tires can only stand it for a short amount of time. I wonder if they will risk removing the limiter to get that tiny bit of extra speed...

VW will never ever allow an official Veyron to crash. As soon as this happens, VW will be torn into pieces by critics.

bartboy9891 said:
they say they limited the topspeed because the tires can only stand it for a short amount of time. I wonder if they will risk removing the limiter to get that tiny bit of extra speed...
Probably not, because even with the limiter in place the Veyron is still faster than the Koenigsegg. Furthermore, I think they'd prefer setting the record with a stock Veyron.

Unlike McLaren BTW, because when they did their ~391 kph run with the F1, they disabled the rev limiter. Therefore the car was not stock.

The Veyron will take the record without any modifications. Should somebody beat it in the coming years, they still have the option of disabling the speed (not rev) limiter. This would mean taking a risk, unless new tires are available by then. (Which seems likely.)

It's already achieved that speed, they just need some boffin from Guinness to watch it.

They should just beat it by one mph more. One they could say "we just wanted to be good sports to our smaller competitor" and they could always say "oh, yes well it could theoretically do more, but gosh its just so hard to find a suitable track able to handle it" and then after someone breaks it break it again and then say ?well if a company produced tires strong enough it could to theoretically more?

oliB said:
Probably not, because even with the limiter in place the Veyron is still faster than the Koenigsegg.

that's where you're wrong, stock for stock a Koenigsegg (CCX or CCR) is still faster than the veyron. When the CCR tested it's top end speed it was on the Nardo track which is a continuous curve and on a slight bank. When the Veyron did it's "unofficial" test, it was on the VW test track which has 9 (or so) mile flat straights.

Either way when the Veyron does it's official test i doub't it'll be keeping it for long cause Mr. koenigsegg is already planning to do a top speed Guiness run with the CCX.

Momentum57 - Lol i like those lines

Im just wondering, why do these guys test the cars on tracks i mean 9 miles isnt very long when your going 200+ miles / hour. So why dont they test the speed at the Bonneville Salt flats or some place similar where you have all the space you need.

I cant wait to find out how fast it can REALLY go. I wish they put it on the news or something, cause i have yet to see a decent vid of the veyron going fast. Im sorry to say that the TopGear episode with the veyron race was a disappointment

vexor said:
oliB said:
Probably not, because even with the limiter in place the Veyron is still faster than the Koenigsegg.

that's where you're wrong, stock for stock a Koenigsegg (CCX or CCR) is still faster than the veyron. When the CCR tested it's top end speed it was on the Nardo track which is a continuous curve and on a slight bank. When the Veyron did it's "unofficial" test, it was on the VW test track which has 9 (or so) mile flat straights.

Either way when the Veyron does it's official test i doub't it'll be keeping it for long cause Mr. koenigsegg is already planning to do a top speed Guiness run with the CCX.
Bollocks, why do you think this? A banked circuit allows you to top out especially as it was probably something like a 5 mile loop. If it was true that the Koenigsegg could top the Veyron then they would be making the claim. The official projected top speed of the CCR is only 246mph and thats from Koenigsegg themselves. Some people report the CCX as being capable of 258mph but Koenigsegg themselves only claim around 250mph.

a banked circuit is a bad place to do a topp speed run... remember the Mclaren F1 .. it had 12mph lower top speed at Nardo then at the VW test track..
ohh and when the CCR did its record run... it didnt even maxout its top gear..

Im just wondering, why do these guys test the cars on tracks i mean 9 miles isnt very long when your going 200+ miles / hour. So why dont they test the speed at the Bonneville Salt flats or some place similar where you have all the space you need.

Grip, purely and simply. it's wheel driven, and in bonnevile it's damn hard to get traction - I remember hearing the BAR honda wheelspun in 3rd gear there

^just a though, but won't the bonnaville salts be to hot to get the needed power from the engine?

Yes I have heard stories that some tuned superbikes face serious grip problems once air resistance grows to certain level.

And I think its quite repeated story in this forum that Veyron run wasnt guiness official. Some *piip* just didnt want to listen.

ok, time to get into the boring physics part.

The reason why a banked constant curve like Nardo is bad because a car isn't at it's fastest in a curve it's on an absolute straight cause as the wheels turn it creates more drag and thus slowing it down. A banked curve is even worse because it creates centripical force which makes the car feel heavier than it should actually be.

Also as Blythy said the salt flats are a bad place to test top speed for these type of cars is because of the surface, salt is a dynamic surface where as asphalt or concrete is solid and doesn't shift when something goes over it.

And finally a 9 (or so) mile straight would be long enough because these cars can already reach 300km/h at the 1.5 mile mark.

phew, that was a mouthful

What, like their some kind of authority or somthing?

/kidding.
//But seriously, Guiness lost all my respect after their variety show on Fox.

Another question: Could the Veyron go flat out in Highspeed mode on Nardo? You have to keep some degree of lock on...
I kinda remember something about the Highspeed mode disabling itself at a set amount of lock...

Re: Guiness WR Dont Recognise The Veyron As Fastest Car

car_photo_208554_5.jpg

Nice pic. :)

vRS said:
Just a question of time...

Seems to me like the Veyron is costing VW a bundle to be what it is.

Koenigsegg on the other hand has been much more cost effective in their venture in my opinion. :thumbsup:

yeah, but by all accounts, the veyron is a totally different animal.

the CCX is much more akin to the Mclaren F1 in terms of being more of a speed machine. In both cases they have skittish rear ends and aerodynamics optomised for speed. Which is much cheaper to build. The gearbox is manual, the engine small...ish, but blown to fuck and louder than a cannon. Etc Etc Etc

The veyron is designed to be the ultimate. To be bespoke, to be luxurious, to be devastatingly quick, to be refined. It's adaptable to fit it's conditions, for speed or safety...ish

So while on some terms, they're equal...ish The veyron is the one that you pay the premium for.

compare for example.... the Z06 and the 575

"the veyron is a totally different animal."

True, a very fat animal, causing all sort of problems versus its more agile rival.

Re: Guiness WR Dont Recognise The Veyron As Fastest Car

Roman said:
car_photo_208554_5.jpg

Nice pic. :)

vRS said:
Just a question of time...

Seems to me like the Veyron is costing VW a bundle to be what it is.

Koenigsegg on the other hand has been much more cost effective in their venture in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Yes the cost of each one made is $5,000,000 isnt it? they certainly didn't make this car for profits , instead to show how technologically advanced the VAG are.