Gumpert files for insolvency :(

I've always liked the Apollo. I like its looks (in blue it looks awesome to me), I even liked the name, because it shows they mean business and not simply think of something fancy. "Gumpert" is a name you need balls for to give it to a car.

They only did one thing wrong: The car isn't bling enough. That's why all the rich, untalented posers buy Paganis and Lambos instead. We will see, if they survive. I hope they do.

Last edited:
Same here. I love the functional, no-nonsense design philosophy but alas the market for such a car is very limited. :(

Is there a big market for a no holds barred racing machine that does not have a racing series you can try it out in then?

I look at the Apollo as the automotive equivalent of something like the AH-64...

It wasn't built to look pretty, it was built to do one job, and it does it well. Yet somehow, it manages to look as badass as it is anyway.

I hope Gumpert can pull something together. The more bonkers cars there are in the world the better.

Except for the fact that people who can afford to drop that much money on a car are normally the type to be concerned about looks and brand name. Governments who buy attack helicopters don't care how ugly something is as long as it works and kills things. If anything the ugly helps put the wind up the enemy.

Bonkers cars are great as long as they look cool with it. Pagani (sounds great) succeeds with that where Gumpert (sounds like a fat kid in lederhosen from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) fails.

Yeah unfortunately running a car company with a very dedicated but very tiny customer base is not even close to resembling a good business model. Bentley found that out back in the 30's, which is why they're only still around due to being bounced back and forth by other, bigger companies since '31.

....even if some of the best cars come from such a business model :(

Last edited:
VW should buy them to bonkify the next Veyron.

I think the word you are looking for is bonkersize. Bonkify belongs in NSFW.

I've always liked the Apollo. I like its looks (in blue it looks awesome to me), I even liked the name, because it shows they mean business and not simply think of something fancy. "Gumpert" is a name you need balls for to give it to a car.

They only did one thing wrong: The car isn't bling enough. That's why all the rich, untalented posers buy Paganis and Lambos instead. We will see, if they survive. I hope they do.

Maybe the fact that a Zonda is x1000 more beautiful but also x1000 more usable and fun on the road has something to do with the trajectory of both cars

[video=youtube;xuetmJ-VQ10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuetmJ-VQ10[/video]

Damn, even the georgeus twentysomething years old Lamborghini Countach is probably even more practical!

That's for road use, for track use something like one of these will do for a fraction of the price

car_photo_280854_25.jpg

316526-original1-ruak7.jpg

atom3.jpg

Donnington_29Mar08_123.jpg

That Gumpert was the answer to a question that not too many seemed to have asked.

Last edited:
Pagani (sounds great) succeeds with that where Gumpert (sounds like a fat kid in lederhosen from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) fails.

Because both are named after the people who ran the companies, and while one is an Argentinian, the other is a German engineer who used to work on Audi rally cars.

Same as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, Abarth, Lancia, Benz, Opel, Ford, ...

Is there a big market for a no holds barred racing machine that does not have a racing series you can try it out in then?

Mosler and that is pretty much it.

Can we ban him for driving the 1 series as the primary reason and the insult to the Zonda being the secondary consideration? If so, I'll add my voice to the bannination call.

Matt: If there is such a machine as the Lamborghini Valentino Balboni, and there is, surely there is room in this world for a Gumpert Augustus Gloop. Who knows, there just may be enough minted Roald Dahl fans in the world who'd want one.

I don't know why so many people think the Zonda looks good. You all need glasses. The proportions are so much off, and so many bits are just so ugly. And you guys call the Apollo ugly? Oh my.. <_<

And regarding the 1-series.. people.. I agree there are better looking cars out there, but someone driving a FIAT PANDA or a HONDA FIT better SHUTS THE FUCK UP :p