Guns/Firearms in the UK

hajj

Wonder no more, just look at California. All the criminals have illegal firearms and the law-abiding citizens have to jump through endless hoops to buy heavily restricted firearms.

I would call that arbitrage. :lol:
It used to be super easy in Europe, Belgium had pretty lax laws, rather few checks and a very open mind for the dutch. Sadly they changed their policy quite a bit this year.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '11 Multistrada, Yamaha R6
What I find funny is that to own a Mare's Leg (sometimes called a Hog Leg) in the US you have to go through a rigamarole and pay and extra $200 or so for it being a shortened rifle (it's not a carbine because those are at least 18 inches barrel length). But technically in the UK it would be a pistol of the appropriate length to be legal.

new-mare1.png

Cobol74

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Honda Accord 2.2 i-Dtec Sport Estate.Hyundai Ix20
Er legal as in a licence could be obtained so long as you've been in a gun club for more than 6 months and either keep the weapon on the premises or have secure (i.e. A Safe - not a cabinet) place to keep the weapon at home. I am not completely convinced that as the weapon is not a target weapon that even then you'd obtain one as the Police could and possibly would object and your application would be over.

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
What I find funny is that to own a Mare's Leg (sometimes called a Hog Leg) in the US you have to go through a rigamarole and pay and extra $200 or so for it being a shortened rifle (it's not a carbine because those are at least 18 inches barrel length). But technically in the UK it would be a pistol of the appropriate length to be legal.

new-mare1.png

I highly doubt that they would count that as a pistol.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '11 Multistrada, Yamaha R6
It's the appropriate length, it only holds 6 rounds, and you can wear it on your hip in a holster.

Close enough for me! (the fact that it's a .44-40 is nice too)

ruuman

Car(s)
Defender 90, suzuki SJ410, Suzuki DL-650
There's plenty of ways to fiddle the license, for example I know a farmer with a semi auto 6 shot 4-10 shotgun that's classified as a smooth bore rifle. Which when he shoots deer slugs I guess it is!!

Blind Lo that Mares Leg?!?! would just be classified as rifle here I believe and a firearms license covers it fine.

Just had a look at the police website, didn't realise the licenses were still so cheap. 50GBP for a 5year license.