Guns/Firearms in the UK

Shotguns also make very good defensive weapons. They actually say the most terrifying sound a criminal can possibly hear while committing a crime, is not the police, or something threatening to 'call the cops'. But rather the sound of a 12 gauge pump action shotgun chambering a shell.

What is the advantage of a pump action over a over-and-under? Realistically when are you going to need more than two shells loaded? This is a restriction I agree with as I can see no reason why anyone would have an honest reason to need a pump action over an over-and-under/side-by-side.

It's much more fun to shoot clays when you only have to reload after 4 shots instead of two. They're also substantially cheaper.

Okay.... I was just pointing out that they make good defense weapons, and therefore, a higher capacity for shells could be desirable to the owner.

it's not like you're supposed to turn them into a fine dust, in Australia at least I beleive that they're is a law preventing "excess" use of force to aprehend someone.

it's not like you're supposed to turn them into a fine dust, in Australia at least I beleive that they're is a law preventing "excess" use of force to aprehend someone.

The laws in the US are a bit screwed up in that respect. You should only use lethal force if you feel your life is in danger. If you try and fire a warning shot, or shoot someone in the foot or leg, then your life obviously wasn't in as much danger as you thought. The cops look for that and you can be arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, even if you were only defending yourself. They'll see it as excessive.

It kind of sucks, but if you're in America and find yourself in that situation, it's better to shoot-to-kill or take your chances not shooting at all.

What is the advantage of a pump action over a over-and-under? Realistically when are you going to need more than two shells loaded? This is a restriction I agree with as I can see no reason why anyone would have an honest reason to need a pump action over an over-and-under/side-by-side.

For when the zombies come.

And they will.

Nothing more to add to this thread.:ph34r:

Reactions: TC

For starters there's that sound

[youtube]i0bT13OC-_c[/youtube]

I own a Mosberg 500A tactical 12 gauge, and the sound of it being pumped is LOUD and unmistakable. I call it The Fecalator, because just the sound of it makes any intruder shit himself.* Another reason to have it is if you have more than two people to deal with. Also, I've never heard of anyone making a tactical length over-under or side-by-side shotgun.

Also, what BlaRo said. My shotgun is part of my Zombie[/zombie] Earthquake Survival Kit. Food, water and emergency equipment are great, but you have to be able to keep them. If someone has a gun but no gear, he can simply take it from one of the many people who have gear but no gun. In such an emergency situation one can not trust the police to protect them, the system would be overwhelmed and lines of communication would be down. We saw that happen here in the states during Katrina and in the LA riots.

*- shamelessly stolen from Dogma

:lol: Ok that was the funniest Brain-Fart I've ever had!

I need to sleep more (maybe Kaylee will visit again tonight).

Out of curiosity, any brits here that would like to see a change to the law?

Yep.

Call me a fool but I quite like the current Scottish Parliament's planned legislation on banning airguns. Which may or may not get voted in. And leave the current gun legislation in place.

edit - with exceptions for sporting events - the faff over the London 2012 Olympics shooting events was daft.

Yes. I think handguns shouldn't be banned but they can only be used for competition so they have to be stored at the clubhouse. I see no reason for someone to need a gun for protection in the UK.

Couldn't agree with you more, the hand gun ban is far too OTT. Dunblane was a tragic scene, but prompted a knee jerk response from the government who had to be seen to do something. Storing guns at clubhouse would have satisfied all parties.

It's much the same case with them trying to ban replica guns and airsoft weapons to tackle the gun crime in London and other big city's. It hurts a lot of responsible owners without effecting the people doing the crime.

Yep.

Call me a fool but I quite like the current Scottish Parliament's planned legislation on banning airguns. Which may or may not get voted in. And leave the current gun legislation in place.

edit - with exceptions for sporting events - the faff over the London 2012 Olympics shooting events was daft.

Call me ignorant but why are air guns an issue? They aren't really used as weapons in criminal activities now are they?

No age restrictions on air gun purchases?

there sure are, 16 to use one, 18 to buy one, must be 12ftpounds or less (higher requires a license) for a rifle, 6ft pounds for a pistol.

The only problem is idiot parents don't control their idiot kids and they do dumb things that ruin it for the rest of us :(

I have 2 air rifles, for target shooting and pest control

Call me ignorant but why are air guns an issue? They aren't really used as weapons in criminal activities now are they?

True enough, but there has been a spate of incidents involving kids, air guns and either dead other kids or blinded for life other kids.

And by kids I mean anything from 8 years old to adulthood.

You can't legislate common sense.

Very true @ all the above. I guess the decision governments need to make is either ban all guns (which will lead to an increase in other crimes and a lot of protests), or make the law very strict and stringent (which I guess is what some countries are doing).

I wonder what the results of the latter will look like.

Wonder no more, just look at California. All the criminals have illegal firearms and the law-abiding citizens have to jump through endless hoops to buy heavily restricted firearms.