Hamburger meat recipe

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
I've been thinking about this for some time now and I'm reaching out to our US members in search for the best hamburger meat recipe you guys know. So, I'm open to suggestions! I'm also open to Sloppy Joe recipes.

Last edited:
Never make burgers with anything less than 20% fat. If you have a good relationship with your butcher see if he can grind in a few slices of bacon to bump up the fat content as well as flavor.

I find this recipe to work really well and despite their warning i never cook past medium and they taste wonderful and i feel no ill effects.

FOOLPROOF BACKYARD BURGERS
(Serves 4)
Adding bread and milk to the beef creates burgers that are juicy and tender even when well-done. (In fact, we recommend this method only for burgers that will be cooked to medium-well or well-done.) For cheeseburgers, follow the optional instructions below.

Ingredients:
1 large slice good-quality white sandwich bread, crust removed and discarded; chop bread into 1?4-inch pieces (about 1?2 cup)
2 tablespoons whole milk
3?4 teaspoon table salt
3?4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons steak sauce
1 1?2 pounds 80 percent lean ground chuck
Vegetable oil for cooking grate
6 ounces sliced cheese, optional (see note above)
4 rolls or buns

Method:
1. Using a large chimney starter, ignite 6 quarts charcoal (about 100 briquettes) and burn until covered with thin coating of light gray ash, about 20 minutes. Empty coals into grill; build modified two-level fire by arranging coals to cover half of grill. Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat grate for 5 minutes; scrape grate clean with grill brush. Grill is ready when coals are medium-hot (you can hold your hand 2 inches above grate for 3 to 4 seconds).
2. Meanwhile, mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until homogeneous (you should have about 1?4 cup). Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
3. Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass. Divide meat into four equal portions. Gently toss one portion of meat back and forth between hands to form loose ball. Gently flatten into 3?4-inch-thick patty that measures about 4 1?2 inches in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1?2 inch thick, creating slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
4. Lightly dip wad of paper towels in oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill burgers on hot side of grill, uncovered, until well seared on first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip burgers and continue grilling, about 3 minutes for medium-well or 4 minutes for well-done. (Add cheese, if using, about 2 minutes before reaching desired doneness, covering burgers with disposable aluminum pan to melt cheese.)

Last edited:
1 KG ground beef (I prefer 80-20 or thereabouts, anything less and the burgers are dry).
Big handful of minced onion.
Granulated garlic and seasoned salt to taste.
(optional) dribble some hot sauce on the top of the burger when you put it on the grill.

Knead the onion into the meat, add the seasoned salt and garlic to the meat, form into approx. 4 patties. Put on hot grill and add hot sauce. Cook until juice begins to appear on top of burger, then flip. Wait two minutes, add a nice slice of cheddar and then pull it from the grill once the cheese has melted nicely. Serve on a toasted onion roll with fresh veggies and condiments, plus a salad.

The trick to the perfect ground burger is in the technique as much as the ingredients. Here's my stand by recipe, the burger is also an inherently simple recipe:

1 LB. 85% lean ground beef
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Knead the beef with the Worcestershire sauce quickly, and shape into patties quickly. Pat both sides of the patties with salt and pepper. Return patties to the fridge, the meat must be chilled! Preheat the grill to about 400 degrees, and always brush and oil the grate. Cook the burgers to medium, flipping only once, and never squish a burger. . . ever! It's also sometimes beneficial to cook them with a couple rashers of bacon on top, I've even mixed bacon fat in with the beef and it gives the meat a lovely smokey, bacon-y taste.

Some other ides:
-Butter potato rolls and brown on the grill.

-Slice a yellow onion lengthwise into about 1/4" section and skewer with a toothpick to make a sort of onion lollipop. Baste with butter and brown it on the grill as you cook and then serve with the burgers. Jalapenos are also good roasted on the grill for the burger.

-Lettuce should be Romaine or Iceberg and goes under the burger to stop the juices escaping.

-Cheddar is a great cheese but don't be ashamed of using American (If you guys even can get that?)

Last edited:
You obviously put the patties in the fridge to firm them up, but the ideal meat temperature before cooking it is room temperature. Gives the meat a more even cook.

My wife likes her hamburger patties marinated in Worcestershire sauce for a half hour before grilling.

As for sloppy joes here is what we do:

- Brown 1lb of ground beef (or ground turkey) with Half cup of green peppers and half a cup of Onions. (optional)
- Toss, 2 1/2 cups of your favorite BBQ Sauce, 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce in slow cooker.
- Once meat has been browned, toss it and peppers and onions in with the sauce. Mix it all up and turn the slow cooker onto high for at least 20 minutes.

I like to add soy sauce and garlic to my hamburger meat when making homemade patties.