Hammond fully recovered, IMO

dMa

Car(s)
2010 GTI
I remember several months ago there was a thread discussing Hammond's behavior in Season 9 as being way off. He looked like he had just come out of a coma, he barely spoke and didn't do much of anything really. Recently he has even said that he did not remember filming any part of it.

Many of us were very concerned, however, I think it is very safe to say that he really is back to normal. His jokes are back, he looks happy and healthy, and his teeth are the whitest I know.

Especially with the 10X3, I think we have our Hamster back.

Does anyone else share these feelings?

EDIT: In terms of the show; review performance, overall stage presence, etc

Last edited:
I very much doubt that he is fully recovered, it just doesn't happen that fast with these kind of things.

But he has come a long way, and on television he seems completely normal.

I very much doubt that he is fully recovered.

I must agree with you. Not because I'm half a world away and only see him via illegally downloaded videos that are then played on a laptop with horrible resolution (<_<), but because he himself admitted it as was said in the original post.

It's obvious trauma like this can wreak havoc on a person's body for years on end. Is he getting better? Absolutely, 100%, entirely. But I contend that he is far from fully recovered.

/I'm anxiously awaiting reading his book to find out more of the details.

^I agree with No Boss (yeah!)

Sure, he's certainly recovered alot faster than anyone was expecting and may be back to his old self in terms of the joking around and what not but he is certainly way off still being 100% and will still be that way for a years to come.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix to head trauma, but Richard is certainly doing very well. This of course being a completely non-medical opinion.

/His book is on my floor waiting for me to finish exams.
//Exams are teh suck.

Hes doing a excellent job eitherway, i really like his current stuff.

Actually he's picked up from were he used to be before season 8ish. Somewhere after Clarkson screwed up the discs in his back Hamster seemed to be slacking in his reviews, but i think i can honestly say he is back to his fighty little self.

I doubt he's back to the old Hammond. He doesn't even look like he did pre-crash... his face just somehow looks a lot older and aged now. Plus I suspect he's a bit thinner as well.

But regardless, it's a miracle that he survived and has recovered as much as he has so that's something. :)

He's certainly doing better, but head trauma he went through isn't going to cure in a year. It's great to see him getting back to his normal telly personality now.

I think he's recovering very quickly for what happened, but none of us just downloading Top Gear or reading his books, really know enough to say he's fully recovered.

I very much doubt that he is fully recovered, it just doesn't happen that fast with these kind of things.

But he has come a long way, and on television he seems completely normal.

I whole-heartedly agree. I'm still recovering from my reading-while-driving accident, but my day to day life is starting to return to normal. It's really the little things like smelling the rose pedals by my septic tank and not looking behind me when I reverse quickly out into a busy street; These are finally returning to my daily route. Someday, God willing, I will beat this and become stupidly reckless again. Just like Richard has done by writing his book. I just wish I could have finished it in time though.

27916280114.gif

Last edited:
It's obvious trauma like this can wreak havoc on a person's body for years on end. Is he getting better? Absolutely, 100%, entirely. But I contend that he is far from fully recovered.

Common sense and medical experience says this is most likely true. He is doing much better, thats for sure, but to say he's back to his pre accident self is very unlikely. Remember youre watching him on tv for limited times of filming, youre not following him around 24h with reality tv cameras watching his day to day living.

This has been discussed before. Hammond has also admitted himself that he hasnt fully recovered. It can still take a while before he's back at normal.

richard has a long way to go yet. his body temperature is messed up for example, hence him wearing gloves when his dampervan turned over and he was in the water with james in 10x02. there are other things.....

I doubt he's back to the old Hammond. He doesn't even look like he did pre-crash... his face just somehow looks a lot older and aged now. Plus I suspect he's a bit thinner as well.

But regardless, it's a miracle that he survived and has recovered as much as he has so that's something. :)

Totally agreed there. He indeed looks just so different from the cheerful, energetic and young hamster from season 1-8. But indeed he is getting better and so far he's getting much closer to his usual self, compared to season9.

That man beat all medical odds and did a full recovery.. way to go!:cry:

Look, there is only one way he could be fully recovered. There is only one way to explain someone's recovery being so fast:

http://img509.imageshack.**/img509/7662/wolvehamsterbl9.png

/Q&D... took me 2.5 minutes, with searching.
//I'm not a photoshop artist, but I play one on TV.

^I agree with No Boss (yeah!)

Whew, e-five!.

Hi,
I believe Hammond is back to whatever state he will be in from now on.

Firstly his crash was dreadful & the fact he survived at all really was a miracle.

Secondly he has a wife & a young family. He has had a life changing experience that most of us would never have....ever.

I don't think he's changed as a result of the accident. I think he's over that now thankfully. But I do think his mindset has changed & the fact that he could have lost all that he held dear.

So I believe, & rightly so, it's Hammond in safe-mode from now on. I'm sure Jeremy wouldn't let him near anything that could be potentially life threatening. I'm sure Hammond won't want to do it himself.

Hammond is still Hamster but he's no longer the guy to try & electrocute, drown etc. I think he knows that himself....

He's a champion though :)

Hi,
I believe Hammond is back to whatever state he will be in from now on.

Firstly his crash was dreadful & the fact he survived at all really was a miracle.

Secondly he has a wife & a young family. He has had a life changing experience that most of us would never have....ever.

I don't think he's changed as a result of the accident. I think he's over that now thankfully. But I do think his mindset has changed & the fact that he could have lost all that he held dear.

So I believe, & rightly so, it's Hammond in safe-mode from now on. I'm sure Jeremy wouldn't let him near anything that could be potentially life threatening. I'm sure Hammond won't want to do it himself.

Hammond is still Hamster but he's no longer the guy to try & electrocute, drown etc. I think he knows that himself....

He's a champion though :)

I don't think racing a Bugatti Veyron at full speed down a runway is "safe mode" :)

Nice to see him back on form though. The guy's a machine.

I don't think racing a Bugatti Veyron at full speed down a runway is "safe mode" :)

Nice to see him back on form though. The guy's a machine.

That's my point though. He was in a 'car' just going in a straight line & then he had to do a u-turn. That's not too scarey to be honest.

I am so glad he is back though & wearing the 'Final Gear Helmet' too.

Awesome :)

Yeah, I'm super rich, have 47 cars, and mate with the finest of supermodels IMO

That's my point though. He was in a 'car' just going in a straight line & then he had to do a u-turn. That's not too scarey to be honest.

Mate, i want to see you doing that with a thousand horsepower and a typhoon following your ass. That's pretty scary in my book. ;)

It's racing at speed down a runway with a jet engine blaring in his ears. Not scary? Think about it.

He mentioned at the Cheltenham Literature Festival that it freaked him out a bit.