Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

theboyG

Car(s)
911(996) and BMW 330i (aka Crap!)
Just seeing on the news - Richard Hammond is in Critical Condition after a car crash at Evington Air Field this afternoon, trying to break the Land Speed record in the Vampire Jet Engined car (a Jet from the Red Arrows, 500bhp) for an episode of Top Gear.

The car crashed on the final run of the day - got up to 280mph and something went wrong after the parachute deployed, veered right and went onto the grass, overturning.

His head upside down with his head dug into the soil, still breathing at that point. He did regain conciousness when he was being extracted from the car, and explain where any pain was.

He is currently at Leeds General Hospital.

Let's give all our suport to his family and hope he pulls through.

This is the car he was driving http://www.thule.co.uk/partners/blsr.asp

Poll for flowers for Richard here
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=13909

Update 21/09 8am - Leeds Hospital say his condition is "improving"

Update 28/09 - Moved from Leeds hospital - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5388296.stm

wow, got a link to a news article?

Hope he makes it. :(

Oh man, that's bad. I hope he's gonna be alright! :(

Just saw this on the news myself. It seems pretty terrible...especially to get hurt that badly filming a silly clip on the show that some/most of us would skip through...

:shock:

peter3hg2 said:
Nothing of it on t'internet yet. If this turns out to be true and i wish him all the luck
same here. hope he is ok.

jarborra said:
Just saw this on the news myself. It seems pretty terrible...especially to get hurt that badly filming a silly clip on the show that some/most of us would skip through...

Richard's crazy/silly clips are some of the best stuf on Top Gear, IMO. It's just terrible that he got hurt "in the line" of duty.

Praying for him....

holy shit. I hope he gets better as soon as possible.

gabibyte said:
holy shit. 280mph! No video of the crash?

I'm sure there is as he was taping a segment for the show, but don't you think that's distasteful/disrepectful at this point? And where did you get the 280mph from anyway?

Hope he makes it. Always the risk taker it seems. :cry:

Latest I heard on BBC News:

"At 5.45pm the police received a call reporting a man trapped in an overturned jet car. The man, who we now know is Richard Hammond, received serious injuries and was airlifted to hospital in Leeds."

His wife is on the way there now. Then the BBC will be able to find out more about his condition.

Hope he's doing all right and that he will pull through.

:(

So it's true then?

Hope he'll come to strenght for series 8.

And I wouldn't belive to a "critical" word used in these tabloids, they always want to make everything a bit more tragic... you know.

Aston Martin Lagonda said:
So it's true then?

Hope he'll come to strenght for series 8.

And I wouldn't belive to a "critical" word used in these tabloids, they always want to make everything a bit more tragic... you know.

yes, the bbc is so damn sensationalist these days

Well, sky news has an expert on hammond and daredevil stunts:

Mr Quentin Wilson!