Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

:(

Thoughts are with ya and your family. Hope you get well :(

wow just saw this on itv news, said it took him 10mins to be cut from the reckage.. this dont sound good

hype said:
wow just saw this on itv news, said it took him 10mins to be cut from the reckage.. this dont sound good

DON'T listen to ITV news, they chat shit about everything they report about.

Listen folks, all we know is what has been released, the speculation isn't helping.

Comments on Richard Hammond

Comments on Richard Hammond

First of all let me just wish Richard Hammond a speedy recovery from his accident. I wish his family all the best and hope to see him rejoin the Top Gear team soon.

I would also like to take this opportunity to express my disgust at the comments made by Quentin Wilson that were aired on the 10 o'clock news tonight. They may have been aired out of context as is often the case but nevertheless amounted to a veiled 'should've been more careful' which I find totally inappropriate when describing someone who is currenty in a "critical condition".

If Quentin Wilson were to have been in an accident i'm sure neither he or his family would appreciate someone going on record with comments like that at this time. Sorry to rant, but I just found it appalling.

Re: Comments on Richard Hammond

Re: Comments on Richard Hammond

splatrowe said:
First of all let me just wish Richard Hammond a speedy recovery from his accident. I wish his family all the best and hope to see him rejoin the Top Gear team soon.

I would also like to take this opportunity to express my disgust at the comments made by Quentin Wilson that were aired on the 10 o'clock news tonight. They may have been aired out of context as is often the case but nevertheless amounted to a veiled 'should've been more careful' which I find totally inappropriate when describing someone who is currenty in a "critical condition".

If Quentin Wilson were to have been in an accident i'm sure neither he or his family would appreciate someone going on record with comments like that at this time. Sorry to rant, but I just found it appalling.

Well, they know each other an he is a former top gear presenter, he knows how Hammond is. Appalling is a bit of an over reaction really.

... although it seems it was technical rather than human as to why the accident occured. So it could have been anyone.

At this point all anyone knows is that he overturned a jetcar and was airlifted to a neurological specialty unit.

With a guy like Hammond who has so many shows going on the airlift may just be a precaution. PET scans of the brain take a while, and they are probably doing a whole mess of tests on him. Taking him to this particular hospital may just be a precaution, or it may be serious.

As for the crash, I've seen film of the Lifting Body project vehicle crash in the Utah desert and roll repeatedly and the pilot walked away, I've seen footage of rocket cars overturn and run for a mile upside down and the driver walked away. These vehicles are built with very strong safety cells, roll protection and restraint systems for just such occurances. There was no report of fire, which is actually the biggest threat.

Right now I am cautiously optimistic. With so little information it's impossible to even guess at the extent of his inuries.

I see your point. I just thought it to be a shoddy addition to the report and a bit of a poor comment. I know they know eachother well but why would they air a comment like that...

Former Top Gear presenter Quentin Willson said the presenter was "irreplaceable".

He said: "He is a wonderful, unique and distinctive Top Gear presenter.

"He has brought an awful lot to the programme and his indefatigable energy, the fact that he tries absolutely anything once, may have been the reason that he has overstepped the mark a bit.

"He has turned Top Gear into a gang show with Jeremy and James and the three of them have wowed audiences all over the world and he is an international personality."

Mr Willson added: "There is no pressure from the BBC or the producer to take undue risks.

"But that pressure is in your own head. You want to do an item on the programme which is mindblowing.

"You want to do a fantastic item that blows everybody away."

don't get the should have been more carefull, more of a "it happens to us all, he got unlucky" I heard the call as well.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

get better soon hammond!! :D

Hamster...

Please get well. Worry about anything you would like to do when you are well later. The most important thing now is to get well. :( . May the Stig be with you.

Man I hope Richard is ok. I really do hope he recovers incredibly fast. I can't even imagine how his family must be feeling at the moment. The Top Gear team must be hell worried too.

We're all wishing you're back on your feet ASAP Richard!

BTW Vid link for those who don't like BBC's slow and unreliable video feeds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq3Ss1xy-uM

ok probably reacting quite OTT...seems the comment was aired out of context. I still disagree with this making it onto national tv at this time...

"the fact that he tries absolutely anything once, may have been the reason that he has overstepped the mark a bit."

Just hope he's ok.

goddamn :( my heart sank when I heard the news :(

My thoughts will go out to him, get well soon Richard :richard:

front pages are coming out now. Sun "Hammond in 315MPH crash" Mirror 280 MPH (Hammond also writes for the mirror on a friday in the motoring section and a column on a saturday)

according to the sun a tyre burst... but the sun is pretty economical with the truth on most occasions.

OH MY GOD!! a freind e mailed me the link and all i can say is i'm shocked i just dont want to read to much into the speculation and my thoughs go out to his wife and kids

GET WELL SOON RICHARD! :(