Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

My father walked into my room and said, "get BBC News up, there was something about Hammster in an accident!"

SpoBo said:
I'm praying here ... and I'm not even a religious man.

Well, I am, and I most certainly will be praying very, very hard for our Richard.

He's always held a special place in my TG heart, being The Short One, and myself being of that persuasion.

What I really want is for him to be fine and well so I canmeet him and tell him what an utter lej he is - for I am going to a filming in October...

Hopefully Hammond will come out of this ok.

just been on bbc news 24 channel - richard hammond now in stable condition according to hospital :mrgreen:

MorroW said:
Blind_Io said:
I wonder if we here at FinalGear.com should do something for Hammond? Collect messages of support wishing him a speedy recovery or something. We are all fans of Top Gear and each of the presenters do so much to entertain us, it seems the least we can do. If anyone has any ideas speak up.

Sure (y)

And if we kind a collect names...it would be nice to print those out and send to Hamster (y)

P.S. Can someone affirm that he was driving "The Vampire"?
0-272 in six seconds, the car is theoretically capable of 370mph.

http://img54.imageshack.**/img54/9678/splitrecordfl9.jpg

*car pic and text is taken from LFSforum*

From Sky News: http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1234569,00.html

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond was driving a Vampire jet-engined car when he was seriously injured in a crash.

The 36-year-old was attempting a new British land speed record at an airfield near Leeds.

The Vampire is usually driven by Colin Fallows.

The dragster weighs 2,200 lbs, is 30ft long and drinks seven to 10 gallons per mile of fuel.

It accelerates at 0-272 in six seconds and is powered by a Rolls Royce Orpheus jet engine.

The car is theoretically capable of 370mph.

Fallows and Vampire hold the Outright British Land Speed Record of 300.3mph.

Perhaps Viper can collect all the good will messages from this thread and send on to Top Gear? Richard Hammond had gone from Critical to Stable - is a good thing.

Here is a link to Jalopnik article stating, amongst other things:

Mr Ogden said he felt for a pulse and heard Mr Hammond breathing before the emergency crews worked together to turn the car the right way up and then cut him free.

He added: "He was regaining consciousness at that point and said he had some lower back pain. But he was drifting in and out of consciousness a little bit."

Good to hear that he's at least blabbering, strenghts to Richard and his family.

Good luck to the driving god :cry:

Richard, best wishes from Canada! Hope you get well soon and make a full recovery!

dannyboy_v6 said:
just been on bbc news 24 channel - richard hammond now in stable condition according to hospital :mrgreen:
hea, w00t I just watched it on the TV .. couldn't realy sleep lol. Flipped open my laptop to tell you guys but obviously I'm too late here hehe. Allright .. I'm happy now :p my condition is stable as well. hehe :) w00t. And now a full recovery hampster!! :)

i hope they don' t have trouble finding a Hammond Organ Donor.............

:ph34r:

cush said:
i hope they don' t have trouble finding a Hammond Organ Donor.............

:ph34r:

Ok, is it wrong that I laughed at that?

hype said:
wow just saw this on itv news, said it took him 10mins to be cut from the reckage.. this dont sound good

Just wanted to say that 10 mins for a car extraction is quite fast. I've looked after people that have been in a car for over an hour.

My thoughts and prayers are with Richard and his family.

Kyla

p.s. Leeds has a fab neuro unit

Wow i just heard the news and i'm in quite a state of shock. I hope that the hammster can pull through. :shock2:

kyla69 said:
hype said:
wow just saw this on itv news, said it took him 10mins to be cut from the reckage.. this dont sound good

Just wanted to say that 10 mins for a car extraction is quite fast. I've looked after people that have been in a car for over an hour.

My thoughts and prayers are with Richard and his family.

Kyla

p.s. Leeds has a fab neuro unit

Yeah, 10 minutes is VERY quick, because it takes so very long to carefully cut away what may be blocking the passenger without injurung them further.