Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

F*CK.

I think I might be responsible for this. I emailed a suggestion to the show last yr saying they should put him in a rocket powered go-kart (more dangerous situations), and see if he smashes his pearly whites.

kernel Panic said:
Hope he makes a full recovery, Having looked through the thread i had not seen a link to this, so i thought i would post it. From Pistonheads and the Car Lounge, Also made it on the BBC site

http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond

Just Giving said:
Many Thanks for visiting this donations page for Richard Hammond. This page was set up by the readers of Pistonheads.com due to the heartfelt feelings around this terrible accident. We are very heartened and touched by the way the motoring community has rallied (raced) around this idea and the support has been overwhelming.

Donating through this site is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to sponsor me: Yorkshire Air Ambulance Charity will receive your money faster and, if you are a UK taxpayer, an extra 28% in tax will be added to your gift at no cost to you.

This is for everyone that wants to say get well soon richard and say thankyou to the yorkshire air ambulance at the same time.

*update*

Thankyou everyone who has donated this has gone way past my initial expectations.

Including the Gift aid we have already paid for over 45 flights of the helicopter

My aim now is to pay for 75 flights of this essential service

Many thanks for your support.

The readers Of Pistonheads.com

Something many of you may not realise: the Air Ambulance sevice that probably saved The Hamster's life is ENTIRELY funded by donations, and costs approx ?1,000,000 ($1,900,000ish) per year to operate - it receives absolutely NO funding from the British government (despite the millions the government receive in revenue from speed scameras).

The URL again if you wish to make a donation to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance Charity:

http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond

I've jsut been awtching sky news, and in the sun or mirror (can't remember which) they have a story about how clarkson was talking to hamster, without response..... well clarkson been clarkson, said hamster was "a %*$% driver", when hamster smiled at that that coment, so it looks like he's still got his sense of humor anyway!

I hope that he makes a full recovery, the show wouldnt be the same without him. :cry:

The witch hunt that will result of this worries me. H&S people allready sound nuts the way it is about Top Gear without this to fuel some jihad on the show. I just hope that comes down to accidents happen, you cant predict them, thats why they are called accidents, not planned incidents....

My heart is completetly broken in the last 24 hours....hot girls have hit on me , bartenders have offered me free drinks and I am still shattered. GET BETTER RICHARD!
DO NOT LEAVE US RH!
Mercury. (drunk)

this is my second post to this thread.
i leave in the US, so when clarkson or may talk about "people of the guardian disposition" makes little sense for me, i always think green people, but with hammond's current situation i think i have found what they mean. it's quite sad to see how the guardian coverage has tried to make political capital against top gear out of this unfortunate moment. they have no details, just fingerpointing.

manniac

manniac said:
this is my second post to this thread.
i leave in the US, so when clarkson or may talk about "people of the guardian disposition" makes little sense for me, i always think green people, but with hammond's current situation i think i have found what they mean.
Here's an example:
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/richard_williams/2006/09/rw.html

I must say that a lot of the comments and articles by these types that I've read are worded and argued quite eloquently, but you get the distinct impression that these people lack any sort of passion, soul or humor in their lives.
They probably can't imagine what it's like to have any of those things either and perhaps that explains their persistence and insensitivity.

Oh yea, reading something like the article at THAT link to Richard would bring him right out of the bed.

I just had an after party at my place and made everyone go as I started sobbing over this. My god. This is fucking unfair. I'm in a state of sadness. I have never had idols really, but me being a journalist a now realise what admiration I feel towards Richard and others. But why. why why why. I haven't ever met Richard, probably wont, but I still feel crushed by this. I deeply hope he will be back to normal. This sucks. I'm about to cry, but I don't care. This is just awful. :( I'm just a viewer and a huge fan from Sweden and mostly I feel sorry for Richards wife, his beloved kids, Jeremy, James and all his friends. My god. Words are not enough in this moment. :(

Why do this always happen to the good ones? Please Richard hang in there and make it.

Nogger said:
This is fucking unfair. I'm in a state of sadness. I have never had idols really, but me being a journalist a now realise what admiration I feel towards Richard and others. But why. why why why. I haven't ever met Richard, probably wont, but I still feel crushed by this. I deeply hope he will be back to normal. This sucks. I'm about to cry, but I don't care. This is just awful. :( I'm just a viewer and a huge fan from Sweden and mostly I feel sorry for Richards wife, his beloved kids, Jeremy, James and all his friends. My god. Words are not enough in this moment. :(

I think this speaks loads to his character. I'm absolutely crushed as well. We seem to be the rule rather than the exception.

I never thought I could get so upset about someone I've never met, from so far away. I check online every 5 minutes to see if there's any updates. It also makes me sick because you (the FinalGear faithful) are the only people I can talk to about it, no one here has ever heard of TopGear or RH.

This is killing me, I need information! I can't just sit here knowing he has a "serious brain injury." That can mean ANYTHING.

-a Frustrated and worried fan

i know its a very strange sensation ... but as it was said before .... its credit to his character. .... actually the whole show really

Its been a sad few weeks over here in Australia, Steve Irwin, Peter Brock and now this im checking 5-6 diff sites every 5mins for updates, TG just wont be the same without Hammond :(

Some words from May

James May said:
"He tried to sit up when I came in and he gave me a sort of grin, which I have to say was a very uplifting moment for me," he said. "I had a bit of an unmanly moment at that point.

"I was chuffed to see him and although he's muttering, he seems much like the irritating little shit I know and love. Even when he can't say much, he seemed to make as much sense as he does when he can talk normally."