Hamster opens children's brain injury rehab center

Ohhh that's brilliant! He's a good man!

when I first saw the title of this thread I just read the words: 'Hamster' and 'Brain injury', that scared me for a moment, lol :p

Just proves that you can't judge how big a man(or woman) is by their size.

+1 to the hamster

also surprising that the Daily Mail has something good to report about a Top Gear presenter.

The Hamster is a top bloke for sure. :nod:

Surely he's recovered more since then? I'd hate to think he was still having problems.

Sadly, there are a lot of long term effect that he doesn't really let on that he will probably never get over.

Indeed. I don't know if acquired brain injury is something one fully gets over. Various side effects of it may be overcome, sure; but overall?

On a semi-related note, I finally read On the Edge recently. Holy crap. For me, at least, it made me appreciate all the work he'd put into the recovery process all the more. (Not to mention all of what Mindy had to go through. Damn.)

And the celery problem....:p

I don't find it a problem. ;) (Again, what is it with the UK and their, seemingly, national loathing of celery?)

When i first read it all I saw was "hamster opens children's brains" oh no brain eating hampster noooo!

Then i got it was a hospital which is cool

On a semi-related note, I finally read On the Edge recently. Holy crap. For me, at least, it made me appreciate all the work he'd put into the recovery process all the more. (Not to mention all of what Mindy had to go through.

Oh god ya, I have enormous respect for Mindy, going through all that. And Hammy for that matter!

Am I the only one who loves his long hair? It looks soooooo much better than when it was short!

I think he looks better with longer hair too.
I read somewhere that people with head injuries such as his need to give themselves at least five years before deciding they've healed as much as they are ever going to.

The sheer decency of Hamister and James shine through on the show too afaiac. James is a gentleman big time - I remember the piccies that some Canadian members took when the ran into him in the super market one day - he did not have to do that, but did.

Not too sure about Jeremy being persued all over the countryside by obnoxious 'greenies'; probably makes you a bit defensive.

Bloody fantastic Hamster. :thumbsup:

The sheer decency of Hamister and James shine through on the show too afaiac. James is a gentleman big time - I remember the piccies that some Canadian members took when the ran into him in the super market one day - he did not have to do that, but did.
Got a link? :)

The daredevil presenter said he 'suffered mortally with depression' and lost all his coping mechanisms after his 298mph crash.
I find this a bit upsetting. Surely he's recovered more since then? I'd hate to think he was still having problems.
I've heard a number of times that brain injury is possibly linked with life-long depression.
Whether that is true or not I don't know, but I've had a number of knocks to the noggin in childhood, and young adulthood. (Including short term amnesia a few times, and getting knocked out by a bull once. :lol: ).
Let's see:

• Fell off a wall or something like that when I was very young, screwed up my teeth. (Don't actually remember this one.)
  • Fell off a stack of used tires on the school playground - concussion.
  • Drove head first in to a garage door after winning a bike race with an unwisely chosen finish line - black out / concussion.
  • Someone jumped on my back on the school playground and face-planted - concussion.
  • Fell off of the roof of a log cabin house on the school playground - split open my chin.
  • Playing American football, as full back I lowered my head and shoulders to plow through a defender, who promptly stepped out of the way, causing me to face-plant in to the mud head first, which pushed all my body weight on to my neck and head.
    According to the video tape I kept playing for another 10 minutes or so, but I don't remember that.
    I woke up in the locker room with short term amnesia that lasted for about an hour.
  • I was helping a friend out putting cows in the barn when a bull evidently didn't take too kindly too that and decided to charge me.
    I still don't remember what happened since I blacked out.
Never occurred to me that my less than rosy outlook on life may have something to do with that until I heard about these studies.

Anyway, this is pretty cool Hamster. :)

Last edited:
Am I the only one who loves his long hair? It looks soooooo much better than when it was short!

I second this! Although, I tend to like it better in the out-of-studio bits. It's maybe too styled in the live stuff.

Back on topic, Yay Hammond! This is so awesome!

Oh, and I got On The Edge for Christmas, and it was lovely. I read it in one night, and I cried a lot. They all went through so much! *hugs everyone*

We are just now starting to understand the long term effects of head injuries. The damage done by serious head trauma is permanent and debilitating. Best example is some American footballers after their career is over they can't function in a normal way anymore. The most extreme example is pro wrestler Chris Benoit. It was rumoured he had 20 concussions before he snapped.

Go Hamster you rock! :thumbsup:
Depression sucks, i know, and doing something positive for others helps, hope it does for him.