Hamster Wants Double Pay

aaurora

Car(s)
Mazda
I thought they made more money than what's stated in the article - it's not much at all, really :| I hope they do get more money, I think they deserve to make millions for what they do.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1115931.ece

AS if rising fuel charges were not enough, Top Gear bosses also face having to shell out on a turbo pay hike for host Richard Hammond.

The Hamster?s two-year deal is up at the end of the summer and he wants his money DOUBLED.

Pint-sized Richard, 38, is already on an estimated ten to 15 grand per show but wants that revved up to a racy ?30,000.

A source at the BBC show revealed: ?Richard?s agents reckon he has become a much bigger star since his famous dragster crash.

?They say he?s now a huge name and his salary should reflect that.?

But his management will steer carefully because he doesn?t want to price himself out of the show.

A pal said: ?Richard loves Top Gear ? its a huge part of his life and he?d never leave.?

Richard?s miraculous recovery from serious brain injury gripped the nation after his 288mph smash while filming Top Gear in 2006.

But recently he had a setback when Channel 4 turned down his chat show pilot.

Touted as a replacement for Richard and Judy?s tea-time show when they move to digital channel UKTV this autumn, it would have made him ?1million.

Pressure

Richard?s Top Gear co-star James May is also negotiating a new contract and wants more pay.

The show?s main presenter, Sun columnist Jeremy Clarkson, has already agreed a deal.

But Richard and James? demands could not be more badly timed for the Beeb.

Top brass are under pressure to cut the talent bill after getting flak for spending ?18million on chat king Jonathan Ross.

So if the lads don?t get their cash, they know who to blame . . .

Last edited:
I agree it seems like he doesn't receive enough money, but what does he make from the dozen other things he does?

That's actually not as much as I thought. Being the big starts that they are now, I really think they deserve a little more than that. That's only like 150,000 a season. Do they get paid during the filming of the Top Gear segments?

Where is this coming from? I thought Hammond got a multi-million pound deal after his crash from the BBC alone?

P.S. I'll do it for half of his current pay. How about it Beeb?

The BBC need to pony up much more cash for the guys. With a world wide audience of like 300 million I think they would be making a heap of the licensing fees, DVD, mags etc. If they want to keep making cash they need to spend some.

It was reported that Richards deal that exp in Aug was 2 years for 2 million.

Last edited:
considering they pay that retard johnothon ross 18 million pounds I don't think it's unfair

So considering the number of episodes they have done in the last 2 years, Richard is making way more than ?10-15,000/episode as that article states, going by the ?2 million figure.

The BBC need to pony up much more cash for the guys. With a world wide audience of like 300 million I think they would be making a heap of the licensing fees, DVD, mags etc. If they want to keep making cash they need to spend some.

That would have included other BBC projects than Top Gear - the Jonathan Ross and Graham Norton deal require them to present a certain number of shows on BBC TV & Radio for a set fee - that's why you see certain presenters EVERYWHERE - I think John Barrowman is on a similar deal.

As for the first point - The Top Gear TV team will NOT see any of the merchandising, licensing or DVD money - that will go to BBC Worldwide who then pay an annual dividend to their only shareholder - the BBC.

But Top Gear TV will get a set annual budget regardless of how commercially successful the show is.

The BBC Worldwide profits go into a general BBC pot that's used to top up the licence fee generally.

But it only comes to something like ?145 million a year compared to the ?3 billion the corporation gets from the licence fee.

It might also be worth knowing how the money is spent. Television has a budget of ?1.4 billion a year, radio ?218 million and bbc.co.uk costs ?72 million. There's also ?370 million for local radio and regional television. These are 2005-06 figures and some things have changed since.

Also the ?11.50 a month every household in the UK pays for the BBC is broken up as follows: BBC One gets ?3.52, BBC Two gets ?1.52, all digital channels get ?1.00 between them. Nations and Local Radio gets 68p and bbc.co.uk gets 36p of every licence fee.

Regional television gets ?1.04 and all the national radio stations get ?1.02 between them. Transmission costs come to ?1.08 and the digital radio stations get 10p.

I agree it seems like he doesn't receive enough money, but what does he make from the dozen other things he does?
This is why he does all those other things.

I agree it is low, but with the "unique" way the BBC is funded, not too surprising.

First of all, it's in The Sun, so let's not get too carried away. But even if they are only close with their estimation of his wages, it's pretty lousy when you consider the viewing figures; the overseas sales of Top Gear and the amount of work each of them puts into making the programme. Compare that to wages of the fat, lazy ego trip that is Jonathan Ross and I''d give the three of them a whopping pay rise immediately.

Johnathan Ross gets HOW MUCH?!
I mean, he's good... but ?18m?

Apparently communists are bad at bargaining.

Vegasrebel29 - what is never reported re Jonathan Ross though is that ?18 million is paid to his production company to make his and a number of other shows - it's the full cost of making those shows and not specifically his salary.

True, The Daily Mail has convinced people he gets the full amount THEY reported. I just wish he'd do something other that act like a creepy old man who peers at girls through the curtains as they walk by...

I never knew Johnathan Ross was so disliked in the UK. Interesting...

He drives a Miata that his wife bought him though, he can't be that rich. :p

Its not real dislike - he does a goodish job on Film 2008 forinstance and he pitches up for BBC Radio 2 from time to time with rather a good show. All I can say is that if these were American celebs at their height of "Relative Popularity" they would be on shed loads more. Hell he deserves it, pay him, pay him now!

15 grand a show...he better start buying that cheaper oatmeal

Yeah, pay the TG boys more. Their entertainment value is priceless.

I can't believe the BBC are paying that talentless Jonathan Ross twat ?18million for the irritating horseshit he spews forth. Obviously there's a large percentage of the British population that get turned on by a cross between Elmer Fudd and Alan Partridge. Go figure.

Each member of the cast of Friends were paid $1 million for each episode during the final seasons, so to pay ClarkMayHam $1.2 million for a year's worth of Top Gear is quite reasonable. In fact, they should be paid $100,000 for each episode.

Keep in mind this is the BBC. Whether the show gets 6 viewers or 6 million viewers, the show has the same budget, the BBC makes the same money, in the same way. The BBC isn't making more money off of Top Gear because it's popular, or off of the presenters because they are popular. They have to budget very carefully.