Hangover cures...

klankymen

BLT Master
Car(s)
plastic Japanese iPod dock on wheels
So, given the current relevance, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any good hangover cures....

My main strategy is to stay/get as hydrated as possible, preferably with the side effect of some vitamins. Just drank a whole bottle of 100% fruit juice orange juice and now my stomach seems to be at capacity.

Actually, IMHO the best hangover cure is simply a hell of a lot of sleep, but sometimes for some reason I just wake up at 7 or 8.... meh :mad:

When you forget that, some meds the next day and a bottle of coke and unhealthy foods...

Last edited:
Drink a quart of water a few hours before you go out drinking, not after.

No good cures, preventatives work though. Greasy food and/or milk'll line the stomach, drinking Gatorade or similar (not just water) before and after will replenish the electrolytes you lose when peeing like Na+ And K. and of course, moderation. so, pizza and tacos before you go out, along with fluids, and then maybe some sports drink before you o to bed; if you're super wasted, try to pee it all out before you sleep so you don't get surprised in the morning(and wet)

^ Good advice there.

To my great surprise I found vigourous physical exercise the next day helped a great deal - with a close personal friend if possible :wink: , but failing that a game of rugby worked for me.

Drink plenty of Gatorade...its better then water and if you get really fucked up, water will make you want to throw up. Take a multivitamin with it and you should feel better.

Bananas...They have potassium and other stuff which help you feel better.

Tomato juice with hot sauce...helps wake you up and clear your head. The juice also has a lot of vitamins.

Greasy foods...dont know why this works, but its does.

Finally...the best cure i have found was going to a sauna. Yes I'm being serious. I got completely trashed one night and the next day i went to this spa thing. I went to the spa wanting to throw up and contemplating of bashing my head in to ease the pain...but a few minutes in the sauna i felt awesome...even better than i was before drinking! All i wanted to do was to take a nice nap. I think you sweat out all your toxins in the sauna so you feel better.

I think you sweat out all your toxins in the sauna so you feel better.

Meh. Anytime I hear someone bring up the word "toxin" when talking about health, I automatically think "bullshit". "Toxins" is a word used by hippy dippy all natural organic asshole douchebags who just want your money.

Anyway, I've only been drunk once in my life and I didn't have a hangover the next day, I was just really really tired. But most of what has been mentioned here is true from what I've been told. Eat something before you go out drinking and keep drinking stuff like water/gatorade. I've also heard that a big hearty breakfast the morning after will help.

Meh. Anytime I hear someone bring up the word "toxin" when talking about health, I automatically think "bullshit". "Toxins" is a word used by hippy dippy all natural organic asshole douchebags who just want your money.

Anyway, I've only been drunk once in my life and I didn't have a hangover the next day, I was just really really tired. But most of what has been mentioned here is true from what I've been told. Eat something before you go out drinking and keep drinking stuff like water/gatorade. I've also heard that a big hearty breakfast the morning after will help.
Naw, mate you were not really drunk - you just think you were, it is not the same thing.

Try 16 pints of BASS from 17:00 to 23:00 hrs on an empty stomach that is really drunk.. Mind you my mate did 21 pints of cider at lunch time and again 21 pints of cider in the evening on his 21st birthday - now that is drunk. He is Welsh obviously (well he had to be some form of Celt did he not?).

Naw, mate you were not really drunk - you just think you were, it is not the same thing.

Try 16 pints of BASS from 17:00 to 23:00 hrs on an empty stomach that is really drunk.. Mind you my mate did 21 pints of cider at lunch time and again 21 pints of cider in the evening on his 21st birthday - now that is drunk. He is Welsh obviously (well he had to be some form of Celt did he not?).

Yes, I WAS drunk. It was my 21st birthday, my uncle's band had a gig at a bar and most of my family showed up to celebrate. My cousin (who is older and has had much more alcohol than I) made it his mission to get me good and shit faced. I made the mistake of not eating anything before and I also had pain pills in me for a bad back.

This is what the tally was to the best of my memory. 6 long neck beers, 4 or 5 shots of Jack Daniels, 5 or 6 shots of Irish Whiskey, 2 or 3 shots of Tequila, 4 or 5 JUMBO glasses of Kamakaze. This is all in a period of just a few hours. There very well could have been more consumed, but I don't remember. I do remember that I walked out that bar on my own two legs, I did have my hand on my sister's shoulder to help keep my balance, but I was walking on my own power. My cousin on the other hand had to crawl up his driveway and into the house.

Blame it on being a German/Irish hybrid who's also a big mother fucker (6'6 around 300lbs). This is why the entire bar shouted "HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!" as I walked out.

OK go with that, that should do the trick - rule one NEVER mix your drinks like that though, not a good idea at all!

But if its not for you do not join in - be true to yourself, getting pissed is not for everyone, I think that you are one of life's sensible drinkers, and so well done. (I am not really - Celtic blood is strong in me!).

I've no problem drinking, that was just the first and only time I've made an attempt to get drunk. In fact, after that night, I couldn't even drink more than half a beer for about 9 months. That night though drinks just kept coming. I'd finish a shot and then someone would set another one down and I'd say "thanks but I..." "NO! You're drinking that! That shot cost me $5! You're drinking it!" "Well ok then".

For the most part, when I do drink I will stop or slow down when I feel the buzz coming on because I'm always the one driving home. So yeah, I am a sensible drinker. If I ever wasn't totally clear headed, I'd have no problem handing my keys to someone else. If I'm out I normally never have more than 2 or 3 beers the entire night, it takes 4 or 5 in short order for a buzz to start.

Oh! I am not now nor am I ever suggesting that I or anyone should ever get in and drive a car (much less get on a motorbike) and drive having had more that a very small amount (2 small beers tops) of drink.

Well, for the most part the consensus seems to be, there are no cures, only preventatives. Well, the best preventative is: Don't drink in the first place.

But I guess I still drink... I know about the "drink lots before bed" tip, and that works.... If only I could remember to do it, which is rarely.

Gatorade sounds interesting, I gotta try that sometime.

A pint of water and 2 pain killers before you go to bed, Jon Tickle approved.

This right here. When i know i am going out partying i fill 2 big glasses with water before i leave the house and also leave out the pills.

2 pints to 1 water... If you're not so drunk you'll forget that. And then a pint of water before bed = no hangover!!

I am blessed with the gift of "never had a hangover". I guess eating 1-2 hours before drinking,not drinking anything i find (just beer and Jack Daniel's) and not mixing the drinks (i don't consider beer with Jack Daniel's shots mixing) is doing the trick. And believe me when i say that even though my pals and i don't have celtic blood in us we drink a lot...

I find that the greasy food before drinking works better than all the water solutions... maybe it's just me though
I think the fat in all the food absorbs the alcobohol or something, and you don't feel as drunk as you would without having eaten...

so first, the "foundations", then the drinks and just a couple of glasses of water afterwards is my best way of preventing a hangover...