Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone*....

Sorry, but why do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

:dunno:

<- .eu

Something about the end of harvest. It sounds very much like the kind of thing the Druids would do to me, thanking the Gods for a good harvest.

Yeah, it's to celebrate what you've achieved or sowed or whatever during the harvest season that's just ended. But in the US somehow it's become connected with the Europeans that settled America back in the day, which is why people always joke about it being a holiday which celebrates the raping and abuse of aboriginal people.

I harvested a bunch of organs.

You Americans are kidding right??? You know why thanksgiving is celebrated do you not? You must just trying to wind up the rest of the world. Clue - Indians and settlers - ran out of food. ... 1621. ...

You Americans are kidding right??? You know why thanksgiving is celebrated do you not? You must just trying to wind up the rest of the world. Clue - Indians and settlers - ran out of food. ... 1621. ...

Thats actually a common misconception. Its a harvest celebration holiday. Squanto the indian did help them grow corn, other crops, and catch fish and what not, but its mostly celebrating the harvest, not helpful indians.

Thats actually a common misconception. Its a harvest celebration holiday. Squanto the indian did help them grow corn, other crops, and catch fish and what not, but its mostly celebrating the harvest, not helpful indians.

So you're celebrating the food and not the people who helped you grow it?

o_O

So you're celebrating the food and not the people who helped you grow it?

No.... we, uh.... we sorta killed all them.

Yeah..... yeah, sorry 'bout that.

/all my ancestors came over during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
//had nothing to do with the mass native genocide.

No.... we, uh.... we sorta killed all them.

Yeah..... yeah, sorry 'bout that.

/all my ancestors came over during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
//had nothing to do with the mass native genocide.

If I were of native North American decent, this is the point where I'd get very angry.

If I were of native North American decent, this is the point where I'd get very angry.

Yeah...that's the part they DIDN'T teach us, must have gotten left out of the coursebook somewhere between the painted turkey hands and construction paper pilgrim shoes.

Then again, I couldn't imagine having my childlike innocence warped by 400 years of genocide..."And we celebrate Thanksgiving because Squanto (can you kids say Squanto? Squan...to...) gave us turkey and corn and fish and such wonderful things to eat! A few weeks later, we infected their entire tribe with smallpox and slaughtered them by the dozens, something we would continue to do for the next 200 years!"

Ignorance is bliss, until you discover Santa Claus isn't real. And married to the Tooth Fairy. With 3 kids. (Living in a run-down apartment in Hoboken, NJ, and missing car payments on his 1996 Chevy Beretta...I'm taking this too far.)

Yeah...that's the part they DIDN'T teach us, must have gotten left out of the coursebook somewhere between the painted turkey hands and construction paper pilgrim shoes.

Then again, I couldn't imagine having my childlike innocence warped by 400 years of genocide..."And we celebrate Thanksgiving because Squanto (can you kids say Squanto? Squan...to...) gave us turkey and corn and fish and such wonderful things to eat! A few weeks later, we infected their entire tribe with smallpox and slaughtered them by the dozens, something we would continue to do for the next 200 years!"

Ignorance is bliss, until you discover Santa Claus isn't real. And married to the Tooth Fairy. With 3 kids. (Living in a run-down apartment in Hoboken, NJ, and missing car payments on his 1996 Chevy Beretta...I'm taking this too far.)

Yeah, teaching children what really happened would create an almost shameful and negatively connotated view of "white" Americans within the children - especially if this were to be portrayed in primary school.

However, it is history and should be remembered. Even when you're eating your turkey at thanksgiving IMHO... :|

Last edited:
Yeah, teaching children what really happened would create an almost shameful and negatively connotated view of "white" Americans within the children - especially if this were to be portrayed in primary school.

However, it is history and should be remembered. Even when you're eating your turkey at thanksgiving IMHO... :|

Uh huh...so how are things with the Aborigines?

British colonization of Australia began in Sydney in 1788. The most immediate consequence of British settlement - within weeks of the first colonists' arrival - was a wave of Old World epidemic diseases. Smallpox alone killed more than 50% of the Aboriginal population. The second consequence of British settlement was appropriation of land and water resources. The combination of disease, loss of land and direct violence reduced the Aboriginal population by up to 80% between 1788 and 1900. A wave of massacres and resistance followed the frontier of British settlement. By the 1870s all the fertile areas of Australia had been appropriated, and indigenous communities reduced to impoverished remnants living either on the fringes of Australian communities or on lands considered unsuitable for settlement. Many indigenous people adapted to European culture, working as stock hands or labourers. With the exception of a few in the remote interior, all surviving indigenous communities gradually became dependent on the settler population for their livelihood. By the early 20th century the indigenous population had declined to an estimated 150,000 to 190,000.

I've always been a huge proponent of teaching the truth to children, but only when they are of age to understand. Yeah let them hear the "fairy tale" and revel in that for two years or so. But then come out and tell them honestly what the truth is.

Hell that might not even be a good idea.... I dunno, my kids are gonna learn first hand that Christmas is really about family, Easter is a coagulation of pagan traditions, Jesus wasn't white, and that Christopher Columbus was full of snot.

Hell that might not even be a good idea.... I dunno, my kids are gonna learn first hand that Christmas is really about family, Easter is a coagulation of pagan traditions, Jesus wasn't white, and that Christopher Columbus was full of snot.

He still deserves some respect, but I still get very irritated when I hear that BS about him proving the earth was round. He only proved that you could make it across the Atlantic with the technology of the day.

Oh and please remind them that Jesus was a Jew. I live messing with white supremacists who hate on Jews.

We think my great great great grandmother was a Native American. So I hate you No Boss <3

We think my great great great grandmother was a Native American. So I hate you No Boss <3

:hug: There, there woofle...

Also, how arrogant was Columbus: "I've found INDIA!", only to discover that is wasn't and they continued to call the natives "Indians"...

Happy Thanksgiving 2021 everyone. (Couldn't search the forums and Google search return this thread, sorry for the 14 year bump)

:hug: There, there woofle...

Also, how arrogant was Columbus: "I've found INDIA!", only to discover that is wasn't and they continued to call the natives "Indians"...
Maybe he was looking for Indiana.