• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Hard Drive Setup

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
I have 2 hard drives:

1.) 300GB w/ 16MB cache
2.) 200GB w/ only a 2MB cache

Both are 7200 RPM

My question is: How would you set them up? Would you install the OS on the less capable one and then install the important programs and games on the better one? Or something different? Where would you store achivable type stuff like vids and ISOs? I'm open to suggestions since I'm in the process of setting up this PC and I want it to be as stable as possible with these 2 drives.

Also, how would you set up the paging file?

Thanks in advance!

In my expierence, I would install both the OS and all programs on the 16MB cache one as it will be the fastest.

All other stuff, like pictures, movies, anything of that sort should be in the other drive.

As for paging, make sure you have a paging file on each drive. Read this article.
http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks5.htm

if you have 1GB ram or more windows will run fine without paging file
at least it does here :)

I have 1.5GB

that's enough
the paging file is imho something from from the "old" days when pc's had only a few megs ram

yeah, i'd put the OS on the 16MB one too. you'd see a difference if you put it on the 2MB one.

Fair enough, but its good to setup a page file anyways. It doesn't take up that much space, I mean you are going to have a combined 500gb (give or take a few) of storage. Whats a few MBs to make sure nothing overflows when you push the system a bit. It can't hurt...

Thanks for the tips guys! I had already installed XP Media Center Edition on my slower drive as a test, but I'm following your advice and going to re-format tomorrow :) I think I'll just keep the default XP page file settings, too.

Can the Virtual Memory be turned off on a really large machine?

Strictly speaking Virtual Memory is always in operation and cannot be ?turned off?. What is meant by such wording is ?set the system to use no page file space at all?.

This would waste a lot of the RAM. The reason is that when programs ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space, they may ask for a great deal more than they ever actually bring into use - the total may easily run to hundreds of megabytes. These addresses have to be assigned to somewhere by the system. If there is a page file available, the system can assign them to it - if there is not, they have to be assigned to RAM, locking it out from any actual use.

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

Another Question for you guys:

For some reason my C: drive will spin down after liek 15 minutes of inactivity even though I have the power options in the control panel set to "Never" to turn off the drives.

Any ideas?

maybe some kind of powersaving options in the BIOS ?

hmmm, don't see anything there.......

It's an MSI MS-7184 (Socket 939) with an ATI Chipset

Any other thoughts? Should I try flashing the mobo BIOS?

really, if there is no option for it in the BIOS, it might be just the hardware on the hard drive. when it turns off after the 15 min, does it turn back on when you go to use it?

burnsy said:
really, if there is no option for it in the BIOS, it might be just the hardware on the hard drive. when it turns off after the 15 min, does it turn back on when you go to use it?

Yes, it does. If I move the mouse or something, it shows me the
hourglass cursor for a second or two while I hear it come back to life.

The weird part is that I've had this hard drive for a month or two (300 GB Seagate 7200 RPM 16 MB cache) and it didn't behave like this on my other PC. It's just doing it on this new motherboard.

Other than that, the PC is rock solid. No other isssues, but this one is driving me kind of nutty because I take short breaks from my when I'm working, and I know it's not that good to have the hard drive turning off and on.

Check the BIOS, I'm sure its something there, look for something that says PNP OS too. I was searching and read something about that.

Maybe the drive/mboard arent 100% compatable..as you can even firmware upgrade HD's now, check out the manuacturer site

Even if you have large memory capacity and no page file, your OS has to load from somewhere at startup.

Oh also, windows can't run 100% from memory, that's why you can't put it on read only ROM without INTESNIVE modification.

TechZ said:
Check the BIOS, I'm sure its something there, look for something that says PNP OS too. I was searching and read something about that.

Maybe the drive/mboard arent 100% compatable..as you can even firmware upgrade HD's now, check out the manuacturer site

Can you upgrade the firmware on a seagate drive? I can't seem to find it on their site.

I'll check BIOS here again shortly. Do you suggest disabling PNP OS if I have that option?

thanks for your help everyone :)