Has HTC chosen the wrong flavour for its tablet?

Has HTC chosen the wrong flavour for its tablet?

• Yes, this will end in disaster... give me Honeycomb!

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No, the HTC Sense UI will be what counts... GO SENSE!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • HTC will come out with a Honeycomb tab later... hopefully.

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • I don't know. Why are you asking me this? Go away!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
I actually like that its smaller, would be nice for reading comics on (only use for a tablet that I can find) but at the same time so is the nook color and its way less money.

I jumped into ordering a tablet purely because of curiousity. Before I go to sleep, I find myself using the youtube app all the time. The phone screen is too small and my 15" laptop is just too heavy to bring.

Last edited:
I don't do a lot of comics but when I tried a bit of manga on my 1024x600 netbook, I had some trouble with smaller text. Though zooming in would be a cinch with the touch screen so it might not be as big a problem. It's much better on my 1280x800 tablet.

I read manga on my nook (the old wi-fi model) and for the most part its fine but some of the smaller fonts are hard to read.
I jumped into ordering a tablet purely because of curiousity. Before I go to sleep, I find myself using the youtube app all the time. The phone screen is too small and my 15" laptop is just too heavy to bring.
I can see that. I was in a position to sit at Starbucks for about 5 hours (g/f shopping :D) and I saw quite a few iPads around, they make sense if you do a lot of mobile entertainment.

Last edited:
I can see that. I was in a position to sit at Starbucks for about 5 hours (g/f shopping :D) and I saw quite a few iPads around, they make sense if you do a lot of mobile entertainment.

For me it's checking e-mails, surfing forums, youtube and playing games. It plays no productivity role for me.

Had a brief play with this the other day

Granted this is a display model in PCWorld and will of had the world and its dogs grubby mits on it opening a 1000 new email messages, the camera app open, maps open, the car panel open etc.... and well I found it a bit clunky to be honest, the animations werent exactly smooth on that 3D carousell thing. Still like I say 5 minutes isnt enough to give a proper opinion, but I wouldnt trade it for the iPad2 we have. Ok the iPad is bigger but as we dont really take it out very often its bigger size means we have a bigger, more comfortable screen to look at when sat on the sofa or lying in bed. If I had to cart it around frequently I might want something smaller and I do like that stylus they got with this. The ipad could do with one of those.

iPad2 battery life is a winner for me, the thing just keeps going and going and going...and its super slick in operation all of the time. no matter what apps are open. Then there is the price.... ?80 more than the base iPad. not sure if thats a valid comparison though.

Everyone said the iPad was too expensive for what it was when it came out... people accused apple of wrapping the same hardware in a new frock and charging through the nose. well it is true, but when samsung et al came out with their contenders I think people were even more shocked to find they cost even more money!!! That galaxy tab was over ?600 wasnt it? when it first arrived... it made me turn from over priced over inflated iPhone thats less useful, to how did they make it for so little? If you want a cheap tablet you can get one, but the quality isnt even in the same league.

Last edited:
For me it's checking e-mails, surfing forums, youtube and playing games. It plays no productivity role for me.

Yup... my iPad2 keeps me out of the study, keeps the gf happy that I can sit with her on the couch whilst she watches her drivel (glee) and I can happily bum about reading forums, watching something else on iPlayer or catchupTV. We often use it when we go to bed too, to watch family guy or whatever awesome BBC 3 is showing. Also came in useful yesterday with the 2 hour stoppage on the F1, popped it on the iPad and went to do other things about the house.

For a device that doesnt really seem to have much purpose, its been bloody useful so far! We got one when my girlfriend decided she needed a new laptop. I stopped and thought for a minute that all she really does on her laptop is internet, emails, facebook and thats about it. She sometimes does her PhD reports, but as there isnt a place in our house to actually sit with a laptop on a desk (iMac takes all the room), sitting on the couch writing a 20k word report isnt really appealing.

cue iPad for the generic email/internet/facebook/iplayer/4OD and a copy of windows 7 and Office 2010 for the iMac so that she(and I can do our work in the comfort of a desk, comfy chair, 2560x1440 27" screen and a 1680x1050 screen in portrait mode.... the perfect set up for writing a large document (8gig ram 3.6Ghz i5 a screen that can have 3 word documents open at once and a second screen, in portrait for having journal papers open on..... the length ways orientation really helps here as journals are often written in that annoying 2 column style.)

least this is the story I used to sell the iPad to myself.... so far its panning out

Last edited:
Yup... my iPad2 keeps me out of the study, keeps the gf happy that I can sit with her on the couch whilst she watches her drivel (glee) and I can happily bum about reading forums, watching something else on iPlayer or catchupTV. We often use it when we go to bed too, to watch family guy or whatever awesome BBC 3 is showing. Also came in useful yesterday with the 2 hour stoppage on the F1, popped it on the iPad and went to do other things about the house.

For a device that doesnt really seem to have much purpose, its been bloody useful so far! We got one when my girlfriend decided she needed a new laptop. I stopped and thought for a minute that all she really does on her laptop is internet, emails, facebook and thats about it. She sometimes does her PhD reports, but as there isnt a place in our house to actually sit with a laptop on a desk (iMac takes all the room), sitting on the couch writing a 20k word report isnt really appealing.

cue iPad for the generic email/internet/facebook/iplayer/4OD and a copy of windows 7 and Office 2010 for the iMac so that she(and I can do our work in the comfort of a desk, comfy chair, 2560x1440 27" screen and a 1680x1050 screen in portrait mode.... the perfect set up for writing a large document (8gig ram 3.6Ghz i5 a screen that can have 3 word documents open at once and a second screen, in portrait for having journal papers open on..... the length ways orientation really helps here as journals are often written in that annoying 2 column style.)

least this is the story I used to sell the iPad to myself.... so far its panning out

I just use my laptop for all that