Has Top Gear hurt your feelings?

moimoimoi

Have any of the presenters said anything bad about a car you hold dear? I know I rather liked the Chrysler 300 until Clarkson trashed it.

http://img188.imageshack.**/img188/1585/vlcsnap2009122412h28m37.png http://img188.imageshack.**/img188/vlcsnap2009122412h28m37.png/1/w640.png http://img94.imageshack.**/img94/6421/vlcsnap2009122412h28m47.png http://img94.imageshack.**/img94/vlcsnap2009122412h28m47.png/1/w640.png

Series 5 Episode 1:
"This car has some serious problems. The brakes are lousy, there isn't enough torque, it doesn't sound right, the steering's completely lacking in feel, and then oh my god there's the ride and handling.

The suspension is so soft, that when you run over a bump, it can't react quickly enough. So you get this huge jolt, and then the whole car starts to pitch and wallow. And of course, because the suspension is so soft, it leans over in the corners, onto its door handles.

I keep looking out there, thinking Maybe it would be more at home in the sea. Maybe it's a boat. It certainly handles like one."

Last edited:
Yes, they made me cry on multiple occasions.

They haven't hurt my feelings (hell, they are just a bunch of ill-educated journalists) . but they have, over the years, suggested that I am both gay and a cock for owning an MG TF160 and a BMW M3, respectively.

Recently they have recanted on the M3 bit. There has been little reason for them to revisit the MG TF160 allegation (probably because Great Britain has less of an automotive industry than piddling old Australia now ... you can keep the fuckin' ashes and the rugby world cup .. I don't care a stuff about either of those). But I don't care. Nothing any of them have to say about cars will affect my shopping habits until they show that they are car enthusiasts first and millionaire media personalities second (or third).

I just bought myself a Fiat 500 and it actually is one of the few cars under 50 grand that they 1/ feature and 2/ didn't slag off!
It was James trying it in Budapest but also Clarkson that said something like "it's a car that just makes me happy", we all know how grumpy he can be so that was quite a feat and made my day that day! :p

Other than that Clarkson and Hammond usually decide that a car is good or not because it did or did not "nowt to 60 in x seconds" or did "1 min 35 on our track" and since I don't like fast cars I tend to listen to (and agree with) James' opinions about cars.
So hurt my feelings? Certainly not. And they couldn't even if they tried harder.
For real car reviews I read Quentin Wilson, more old school.

So hurt my feelings? Certainly not. And they couldn't even if they tried harder.
For real car reviews I read Quentin Wilson, more old school.

Having watched a bit of "old" Top Gear .. I think Quentin Wilson deserves as much thanks for the forthright, no-holds-barred car review as Clarkson. In fact, I think it was Quentin who originated the "so, it's a good car then? ..... well, NO" style of review ... pretty sure Clarkson would like to bury Wilson's last Top Gear reviews .. but he can't ... history will judge Quentin Wilson in a far kinder fashion than current Top Gear does.

If a tv show hurt your feelings you need to HTFU.

If a tv show hurt your feelings you need to HTFU.

10 years ago I would've whole-heartedly agreed with you ... these days .. The Earth is inhabited by pathetic proto-humans .. they need to be handled with MUCH more care. If you do not agree with me ..... vote Labour. That is all .... merry christmas.

I just bought myself a Fiat 500 and it actually is one of the few cars under 50 grand that they 1/ feature and 2/ didn't slag off!
It was James trying it in Budapest but also Clarkson that said something like "it's a car that just makes me happy", we all know how grumpy he can be so that was quite a feat and made my day that day! :p

Jezza was talking about the Abarth version, which is sportier and more powerful than the regular one and--to him--was like a Lambo in disguise.

James hated/hates the 500. Too twee, too cutesy. He prefered/prefers the Panda.

Other than that Clarkson and Hammond usually decide that a car is good or not because it did or did not "nowt to 60 in x seconds" or did "1 min 35 on our track"

Those are just afterthoughts, IMO. They're not really factors they're considering.

To answer the original question, no, TG hasn't hurt my feelings. They would have to do a hell of a lot to do that.

Jezza was talking about the Abarth version, which is sportier and more powerful than the regular one and--to him--was like a Lambo in disguise.

James hated/hates the 500. Too twee, too cutesy. He prefered/prefers the Panda.
"I like the little Fiat a lot" at 45 sec.
"This is a car that makes you feel happy" at 1.03 Jeremy Clarskon, driving a regular Fiat 500:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAFi9nIJVQ

As for James, I remember him liking it too, smiling when driving to Budapest. Now the Panda and the 500 are exactly the same cars, and when I say exactly I mean engines, platform, equipements, transmissions, the lot. I am aware I bought a better looking Panda for 2 more grand but the heck with it.
So if James does effectively prefers the Panda's looks, well good on him, but he can't say he prefers it other than for its looks. Funny thing is, in his review he said he liked the looks and interior of the 500. I drove both, and if it was possible to drive blind folded then I wouldn't be able to say which one is which driving-wise.
Not such a bad review for someone who (your words) "hated/hates" it, nah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZmGv-ecm3I

They haven't hurt my feelings

hmm are you sure ? you sound rather miffed to me. :)

but they have, over the years, suggested that I am both gay and a cock for owning an MG TF160 and a BMW M3, respectively.

Recently they have recanted on the M3 bit.

just because they said cocks were buying M3's doesnt mean everyone with one was a cock. in fact when the cocks starting moving to buying audi's they said the people left were the ones who bought it for the fact it is a great car. so unless you wear bolle glasses and pastel coloured shirts and bought the M3 for status then they were not suggesting anything about you personally at all.

I wince every time they suggest Germany is a place not worth travelling to, or make fun about our food and culture.

I often think they're sitting in a glass house and shouldn't throw stones.

only for their shameless treatment of pianos. i mean what had those pianos ever done to the marina's in order for them to just drop out of the air all suddenly and land on a hapless marina. the morris marina jihad brigade may steal all the publicity but what about the save-a-piano charity as well?
remember a piano is for life, not just for use in target practice.

Hardly hurt feelings, but I sometimes get annoyed at how out-of-their-way they go to make all Americans look like retarded, fat, inbred yokels.

I keep catching myself thinking "not all of America is like the deep south, just look at New England" then I remember, well, it is called new England......

JC loves my car though :thumbsup:

never mind that "twitchy in the wet" stuff.

No. Jeremy for example put one of my cars in the number 10 spot in his top 100 cars ever. Admittedly that video is a few years old.

when Hammond was writting on the side of the Shelby GT500 with a marker i was so pissed