Hate in the Car Community

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 C4
I'm just gonna leave this here uncommented as I think in other threads it's gonna vanish. It's just a bit of food for thought.

He's right. I know someone who's been doing light visual mods to his Dodge Avenger. I hate the car because it should have been Dodge's Lincoln LS but, it's not. It's a cheap rental car in my mind but, that's his choice and he likes the car. The part that really gets me with some enthusiasts is mods that make the car more dangerous on the road.

There are times that some even on this forum come off has "hating." Though, it could just be a more abrasive response than what we're expecting. If anyone's like me, you put all your dreams into one vehicle and think it's soooo cool. Having somebody come and shit on it is like somebody walking through your freshly finished sandcastle on the beach or the snow plow truck covering the end of your driveway after you just finished...

I have dislike for posers mostly, I don't much care about the cars but it's the folks who act as if they personally build F1 cars and couldn't tell a turbo from an alternator that piss me off. Or guys who are "into cars" when all they ever drive is luxury cars and haven't got the foggiest about anything mechanical.

I have dislike for posers mostly, I don't much care about the cars but it's the folks who act as if they personally build F1 cars and couldn't tell a turbo from an alternator that piss me off. Or guys who are "into cars" when all they ever drive is luxury cars and haven't got the foggiest about anything mechanical.

Most dealers I've worked with have this "you don't know anything" attitude. So, when I have an issue (Jeep) they don't really care what I say because they assume I don't know. Trouble with that is I get a lot of "cannot reproduce, didn't see customer's claims" and I leave frustrated. I'm not trying to be know-it-all. I'm just looking to make things go smooth and have things repaired in a timely fashion. Meanwhile, the independent shop I take my personal cars to, I can point to exact parts that I think could be at fault because of symptoms X Y or Z. They'll either tell me I'm wrong or not. It also helps them where/what to look for and shortens diagnostic time. Independent also seems more honest rather than a cover your ass mentality that my problems were magically unheard of.

I hate it when people do things to follow a trend and look cool.
Be yourself, do something because YOU like it, not to get "street cred"!

Corbin Goodwin is a good example: I find his "creations" to be ridiculous and I don't like them, but I admire his lack of care for other's opinions. He clearly does all this shitty cars for himself, and that earns my respect. On the other end of the spectrum, you have people that don't buy a particular car because they are worried about the "image" this particular car has, for example: full grown men not buying Miatas because "it's a chick car". :rolleyes:

I sense some hate in the car community. :D

I can't see the point of "hate". As I say to my son when he bemoans Justin Bieber fans or ricers, just take their tastes as a "life filter" and an indication that they aren't the sort of people who are going to like or get on with.

I am an introverted (yes, really!), socially awkward, beer-loving car nerd with a love for sci-fi. Fortunately I find a field full of similar people in Germany every August and have a great time with them.

I only truly hate stance on a budget. I have no issues with bagged cars that are crazy low when parked but can be raised for driving, but those setups cost quite a bit. The budget stance crowd has cut springs or actual coilovers but they sit so low that the scrape everywhere, causing them to have to drive unbelievably slow around even the tiniest pothole or bump in the road.

I think we all, including myself, but excluding MWF, are missing the point. We may not like what someone has done to their car, we may not like entire sub-cultures of the automotive world, but we should be able to step back, look at them and appreciate the time the person has put into their car to make it theirs. As my grandma wisely use to say, "Hate is a strong word."

Hate is a strong word, but, there are a few that deserve it. And frankly a few bad apples can spoil a bunch in a hobby community. I was a member of a Camaro group here locally and it was great. Everyone was nice and helpful for a couple years, until one day I made the statement that I liked the Mustang and would consider buying a V8 one for my wife to go along with my Camaro. What followed was basically me being blacklisted from any group meets or get togethers. Petty stuff... Imagine what they would say if they knew I drove a Charger. :lol:

I mostly cannot tolerate somethings but I only truly hate a couple of things and those are relegated to the individuals behind the wheel or the actual vehicle itself most often rather than the whole group.

Part of the issue is the so-called Americanization of the words "love" and "hate". I love bagels! I hate celery! What it means is you find something agreeable, or you dislike something. Much like typing out :LOL: often means something got a sensible chuckle out of you. Saying you love or hate something too eagerly makes them lose their worth.

We?ve turned emotions into a binary it seems.

We?ve turned emotions into a binary it seems.

It seems so yes. The last couple of generations have been groomed to do so I suspect, especially this current generation. Might be a side effect of too many people lacking a thick skin and or toleration for other's with an opposite view point? Haven't really examined this much but it is an interesting topic. :D

I don?t necessarily have a problem with certain cars but some clubs themselves can be pretty insular, and depending on the vehicle you have & location you?re in, a bit ahem... problematic from a ?things not to say in diverse company? perspective.

I stay mainly as a ?I want to prove these people wrong? thing but question my decision sometimes. Let?s just say if they ever ask me about my political leanings I?ll be inclined to change the subject because we?d never agree. Ever.

Your Xterra is manual?

Haters gonna hate, live with it. There are ten billion reasons why someone may hate your car, that doesn't mean you need to care. Grow a pair and ignore them.

Haters gonna hate, live with it. There are ten billion reasons why someone may hate your car, that doesn't mean you need to care. Grow a pair and ignore them.

that just about sums it up doesn't it?

Edit: 7777th post. it only took a decade :)

Last edited:
I only truly hate stance on a budget. I have no issues with bagged cars that are crazy low when parked but can be raised for driving, but those setups cost quite a bit. The budget stance crowd has cut springs or actual coilovers but they sit so low that the scrape everywhere, causing them to have to drive unbelievably slow around even the tiniest pothole or bump in the road.

The problem really is that they're fucking dangerous.

Here, look at Rob Spaghetti's Miata to see what I mean. They use fucking hockey pucks.

[video=youtube;Ec4tI5-DRSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4tI5-DRSo[/video]

I respect bagged cars way, way more. And a decent setup, even self made, can be had for like two to three ...

Last edited: