have nokia gone down the shitter or something?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
i remember nokias used to be good.

a few months ago i switched mobile SP from orange to 02 and in doing so dropped the k800i which was a decent phone (but had its problems and id got bord of it) for a Nokia 6500 slide.

now i remember nokias of old, the 3210, 3310 etc well built, sturdy, worked flawlessly... but now... i dunno

when i got the phone i was not impressed with the build quaity, nothing seemed to fit flush, there were unsightly, uneven panel gaps everywhere, the keypad backlighting looked cheap and poorly done.. it just wasnt what i was expecting. the whole thing rattles when you type on it.

5months in and those flaws are even worse due to wear, the software is completely hopeless. it decides at random whether to acknowledge the presence of a memory card, it'll randomly forget all my contacts names leaving me with a bunch of pointless numbers. sometimes the unlock command wont unlock the phone requiring me to take the battery out just to use my phone again.

the screen saver works..... for a bout 10 minutes, then stops working, leaving the screen on draining the battery quicker than expected

the smiley icons are straight from the early days of messenger and recently the things been very sluggish in response to user input.

you cant take a call using the speakerphone because people on the other end cant bloody hear you unless u have the phone pressed to your face like your trying to eat it.

its just a crap phone. dont buy one. its just crummy in every possible way.

on the plus side, the video camera seems to be rather good, and you can get a shit load of video on the supplied memory card. also 3G video calling seems to be pretty good in the quality stakes too, but last time i checked no one gave half a shit about video calling.

the screen isnt bad either 240x320, full 16.7mil colours. just a shame all the built in themes suck the big one, because they dont put it to good use. good job the classic nokia ring tones are still there as well, because all the other tunes blow snow.

I switched some while ago to Motorola RAZR, I think Nokia have dropped the ball a bit with some of their models in their quality.

hahahaha
I used to have an old hunky nokia as my first phone
it was fancy with it's text message option

I miss it now :/
My current phone (lg chocolate) does everything, except be a phone

I used to be a die-hard Nokia fan (6133, 6236, 6315i), then I got a Blackberry Pearl and haven't looked back, I know it's a bit more complicated, but it makes a whole hell of a lot more sense after a week.

Buddy had a N75 and the front LCD went bad a week after he go it. Over time it got slower and slower to do do any function. Eventually the mic stopped working and thats when he finally decided to upgrade to a LG Shine.

I've got a 6300 and it's been very good so far. Only problem is the memory card issue, which only seems to happen with higher capacity cards.

Nokia has always be in the shitter so far as I'm concerned... I hear the N-series phones are good, but the rest of them are so big and thick, and mostly with very weird and stupid looking designs.

My sister has gone through three Nokias in one year, they seem to have a habit of mysteriously breaking.

Nothing will ever be as good as my 3310. Damn, that thing would not break, it was brilliant! The Sony Ericsson and Samsung I had after that just shat themselves constantly, now I'm back to a 6288 and it's been pretty good. Bit thick though but whatever.

I've always has Sony Ericssons, and none of them had ever caused me any trouble.

However, switching to a Nokia 6288 was nothing but a world of pain, so I sold it and bought a Samsung i608. Best phone I've owned in a long time. However, when the Xperia comes out, I'll probably run off and buy that as well.

My first phone was a 5110 which was a brick of a thing until i dropped it in the pool :p

My second phone was a 3210 which was previously my dads phone and that beast is still good to use today.

Then i got a Nokia N90 which I had for about 2 years and in that time the only thing that really annoyed me was that it was very prone to water ingress. If i had the phone in my pocket on a hot day or if the day was extremely humid then the buttons would stop responding until it dried itself out (a week or so). The only other thing bad about the N90 was that it wasn't fast enough for the applications that it had on the phone.. Big Lag :D

Now i have a N95 8GB, I cant really say much about it since i have had it for very long but it feels like a very well built phone. The only thing im not too sure about is the slider which im worried about because im thinking that it will eventually get looser and looser.

So that pretty much backs up what shawn wrote..
The NSeries phones are built very well but i guess with Nokia you have to pay for quality.

uh oh...i have a 6500 slide.

i got it for free at christmas and it's just started not loading properly and freezing on occasion. i hope it holds out...

the old 2600 i had years ago was unbreakable. this...is shit. my family went on the same plan so we all have either 6500 classics or slides.

I'm on my 5th nokia now (6300) and so far I'm pleased. Build quality seems fine and software is so easy to use compares to some sonys and motorolas I've used. My phones have always taken a battering and all still work, though up till now I was getting the shockproof 5210 etc.

Now i have a N95 8GB, I cant really say much about it since i have had it for very long but it feels like a very well built phone. The only thing im not too sure about is the slider which im worried about because im thinking that it will eventually get looser and looser.

So that pretty much backs up what shawn wrote..
The NSeries phones are built very well but i guess with Nokia you have to pay for quality.

I bought an N82 just over a week ago (so no long-term testing yet; it's only been dropped once so far), but based on early impressions alone, if you want it you're going to have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. Definitely not cheap, but worth every penny, IMO. The feel of the d-pad isn't as good as my 6670's was, but on the other hand, it has dedicated volume, media, and camera buttons, which the 6670 didn't have.

This is my third Nokia, btw, having bought a 3360 in 2002 and the 6670 in 2005. Both of them survived many, many drops, some hard enough to knock the battery out of the case, but they never stopped working or got glitchy.

Nokia should release the B series - B standing for Brick. Loved those hunky old Nokias.

nokias are getting worse as my friends say. i have used only 2 nokias, the 3210 and the 3510 :p they were very fine for what they were in their time. Now.. their phones feel plasticy.. i mean.. they arent solid anymore.. quality isnt their anymore..

i have mostly used SE phone and they are quite good.. used the k508i, k700i, k750i, z520i and now i have a w200i.. they all were fine.. user-friendly, tough enough.. etc etc.. the only problem i had was with the w200i that it failed to play mp3s flawlessly.. that was because of a faulty memory card, i got that changed in warranty and its fine now.

My two N95-1 where fine but im getting a HTC Diamond to replace the one i have left.

The N95 isn't very well built at all and i'd much rather have a SE if they would make a attractive phone and stop spitting out Walkman 'phones' I don't want a fucking play button!

Tbh I think Nokia has never been the sturdy and flawless phone maker. They have always had problems with all kinds of flaws in their phones, especially towards the top end.

I've had my N75 for over a year and haven't had any major problems. Sometimes it loses reception and the only way to get it back is to turn the phone off and then back on. Other than that, it's a quality piece. My dad has had his Nokia for a good 4 years or so without any problems at all. Motorolla is horrible from my experience... my old phone was constantly messed up and had HORRIBLE reception. Nokia > Moto, IMO

I'm happy with my Nokia 6290. Sometimes (maybe once a month) there's somekind of a bug with it but then I just boot it and it works fine.