Having trouble with my home audio

JCE

Car(s)
2016 Dodge Charger RT / 2015 Jeep Renegade
So we paid for a home theatre setup when we built the house, 6 in ceiling speakers and 1 subwoofer connection, and I am not sure what sort of audio receiver to use. I have a Pioneer 7.1 receiver already but I cannot get the side and rear speakers or the subwoofer to work. Not sure if it's too old or broken?

Anyone a home audio guru that can help me out here on what to do and possibly what sort of receiver I should look for. I have a budget of $100-125 for the subwoofer and under $300 for the receiver.

I've been extremely happy with my Onkyo receivers. Most of them come with a calibration microphone now that you plug in and setup where you'll be sitting, then they automatically run through all the speakers and set the levels and delay correctly. My previous Onkyo also picked up when I mixed up two wires when I hooked it up the first time and automatically switched their signals to make the speakers work properly, and another time when I purposefully installed only 6 speakers instead of 7 it automatically detected this and set correctly as well.

I would start by confirming that the audio outputs work, then move on to the speakers before ever replacing any components.

I've been extremely happy with my Onkyo receivers. Most of them come with a calibration microphone now that you plug in and setup where you'll be sitting, then they automatically run through all the speakers and set the levels and delay correctly. My previous Onkyo also picked up when I mixed up two wires when I hooked it up the first time and automatically switched their signals to make the speakers work properly, and another time when I purposefully installed only 6 speakers instead of 7 it automatically detected this and set correctly as well.

I like Onkyo as well. Thanks for the reply and tidbit about the detection thingy. :)

I would start by confirming that the audio outputs work, then move on to the speakers before ever replacing any components.

Good idea, I'll do that and report back.

+1

I would not invest in a surround setup as long as you don't have the same money per channel to spend as with a stereo setup. An acceptable stereo amp will set you back $500 at least, while a pair of acceptable speakers to adequately cover a small-ish living room with be another $500 or more. That's a neat $500 per channel. With 7.1, we are thus looking at 3.500K plus the sub for a barely acceptable setup.

/snob

Please Dr., keep snobbing. :p

Having trouble with my home audio

Maybe having 6 speakers and not 7, your receiver won't send audio? But that wouldn't make sense if you just had it in 2.1 or 2.0 mode.