Hawaiian Chevy Dealer Attempts To Crush Honda With Suburban, Fails

Seasonone

Car(s)
RB25 "silvia"
http://jalopnik.com/5115556/hawaiian-chevy-dealer-attempts-to-crush-honda-with-suburban-fails

A Hawaiian Chevrolet dealership setup a jacked-up Suburban to crush a vintage Honda Accord to send a message to anyone buying Japanese. The message became somewhat cluttered when the tiny Honda broke the SUV.

James Severtson, the general sales manager of Island Chevrolet in Hilo, Hawaii, hired a Chevrolet Suburban monster truck to drive over a used Honda Accord before a large crowd in order to highlight the importance and strength of American automakers. Instead, Severtson highlighted domestic quality issues when the truck blew a hydraulic hose and started leaking fluid after its first pass over the Accord. A few hours later the truck was repaired and the Accord, which proved to be too tough a competitor, was replaced with a Hyundai Excel.

This time it went off without a hitch. Let that be a lesson to you. If at first you don't succeed go to the White House for help try, try again.

"We'd like to send the message that the best way to support your country is to buy an American vehicle today," Severtson said.

looks like he only sent a message that brand new Americans cars are still inferior to 20 year old Japanese cars :rofl:

Comedy gold. I loved how they tried to say "look how crappy Japanese products are!"... and used a car that's almost 20 years old to try and highlight this.

AND FAILED.

fail_car.jpg

new-car-fail.JPG

car-crashes-into-house-roofFAIL-1.jpg

fail-parking-cop-car.jpg

womandriver.jpg

monsterfail.jpg

Comedy gold. I loved how they tried to say "look how crappy Japanese products are!"... and used a car that's almost 20 years old to try and highlight this.

AND FAILED.

To be fair 20 years ago cars were made of metal not plastic so if they had used a new honda truck that may have broken too. Cars now are meant to pretty much collapse on impact when old ones you could accidentally drive into a tree and keep going. My mom told me a story about her learning to drive in a ford galaxy and side swiping a bunch of cars and broke them all without doing anything to the galaxy:lol:

My mom told me a story about her learning to drive in a ford galaxy and side swiping a bunch of cars and broke them all without doing anything to the galaxy:lol:
Your mom is awesome.
Steve%27s%201963%20Ford%20Galaxie%20500%20Sunliner.JPG

so he got a custom made truck, made out of a pretty bad truck....then used a car that is 20 years old to represent japanese vehicles?

i dunno whats worse, that he thought this was some how a valid comparison or that there'll be people who actually believe it hook line and sinker.

To be fair 20 years ago cars were made of metal not plastic so if they had used a new honda truck that may have broken too. Cars now are meant to pretty much collapse on impact when old ones you could accidentally drive into a tree and keep going. My mom told me a story about her learning to drive in a ford galaxy and side swiping a bunch of cars and broke them all without doing anything to the galaxy:lol:

dont forget that some automakers decided to make the car a commodity item, designed to last 3 years tops. i.e. .... they just werent designed to be that durable. whereas earlier, because a car was more of a luxury item, you bought one and you kept it till it absolutely would not function, even with help

dont forget that some automakers decided to make the car a commodity item, designed to last 3 years tops. i.e. .... they just werent designed to be that durable. whereas earlier, because a car was more of a luxury item, you bought one and you kept it till it absolutely would not function, even with help

That's the biggest issue with today's society. EVERYTHING is disposable. We buy new things because the new one is more shiny. I have 4 ipods. WHY. Ok to be fair two of them were broken and I bought the new ones before I fixed them but I still have 4 functioning ipods...

Your mom is awesome.
Steve%27s%201963%20Ford%20Galaxie%20500%20Sunliner.JPG

I think her first car for herself may have been the camaro too :lol: On the list of cars she would like to have some day she has things like an original hummer to drive over trees and a jag e-type.:blink:

Japan strikes back:

[youtube]Kmt_EwjJ4Es[/youtube]

Tundra SMASH! :D

Not really... but of the three, it *should* hold up the best because it's actually a Cadillac.

Not really... but of the three, it *should* hold up the best because it's actually a Cadillac.

it took a few tries for a monster truck to smash in the roof I think that's a decent hold.
I actually think we had that car as a kid. I did not like it, it was ugly. I remember going to the dealer to get it swapped and my dad was going to switch it for another one, in brown. I was having none of that. So when the dealer asked about rust and he said no, I yelled "BUT DAD I THOUGHT THAT'S WHY WE WERE GETTING RID OF IT!" He was unhappy, mom laughed because it was "her" car and she hated it too. :lol:

I prefer ze German way:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfZaySq9c8I&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited:
The article is even greater when you realize the Accord is assembled in Marysville, Ohio, while that Suburban was likely made in Mexico.

To be fair, the hydraulic line that burst, putting the truck out of commission, was most likely an aftermarket upgrade for the steering.

But yeah, fail.