Hazardous materials spill - simulation

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1961 Morgan
Yesterday (Saturday) our ham radio club, the Southern Ohio Amateur Radio Association, participated in a very realistic hazardous materials spill simulation. While I?ve been involved in drills like this before, I was really impressed by this one. It was put on by the Emergency Management Agency in the county where I live and was very realistic.

Our club is also a part of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) and our members tend to be ?doers? rather than just ?talkers?. We?re involved in many local events ? whenever and wherever specialized communications are needed. We have close working relationships with state, county and various law enforcement agencies and especially with the American Red Cross.

I know that not everyone is interested in things like this, so rather than take up bandwidth on the forums, I did a write-up with a few photos on one of my web pages. If you?d like to know what this simulation looked like and who was involved, click on the link below:
https://sites.google.com/site/davzgarage/home/ema-drill-18-june-2016

SL

I looked at getting into ARES, but the guys running it in my area are the height of exclusive neckbeards. They don't exactly make it easy to get involved, so I've pretty much been going it along with my little 2M mobile set.

Some day I'd like to get a proper base station set up and get into HF.

I looked at getting into ARES, but the guys running it in my area are the height of exclusive neckbeards. They don't exactly make it easy to get involved, so I've pretty much been going it along with my little 2M mobile set.

That's really a bummer. Belonging to a club has helped me in many ways. When I got my license, I checked into the clubs in my area and found three (I live where three states come together, there was one in each state). Although SOARA was the smallest of the three, I learned that they were by far the most active. They were also very welcoming and I felt at home right away.

Some day I'd like to get a proper base station set up and get into HF.

I know the feeling. I have a 120v/12v power supply that lets me move my mobile rig into the house. A dedicated base station and a proper antenna would be much better, though. I guess I need to work on fitting that into the ole budget... :p

SL