HD crash...

bigfoot1942

last night my HD crashed...
it was a Hitachi 160GB harddisk, i tried to copy some files to it and it started to make loud "clicking" noises...

ill RMA it next monday, i had it for only 7 months. (ill better not mention it was on 24/7 ;) )

Hitachi used to be IBM, right?

I once had BIG problems with one of their production lines... And so did friends of mine... 40 - 60 GB disks kept on crashing all the time...
A low level format was the key... And good cooling... Got a heat sensitive fan for my HDs... Never had a problem since...

But clicking noises sound like something you can't fix with a low level format ;-)

Good luck in getting it back soon... RMA used to take ages back in the IBM times.

Buba

youre talking te DeathStar-series... i have one of those, still working (about 4 years old), i never gave it any extra care...

Re: HD crash...

bigfoot1942 said:
it was a Hitachi 160GB harddisk, i tried to copy some files to it and it started to make loud "clicking" noises...

i've had the same thing, it means your write/read heads are out of calibration and are hitting the side of your hd
(cause: pc wasn't level, or you tilted it while operating)

i've looked around how to solve it, and it can't be.
there is special software which can address each cluster independently if there is still data on you need (is expensive), but the hd can't be fixed

Re: HD crash...

bone said:
bigfoot1942 said:

i've had the same thing, it means your write/read heads are out of calibration and are hitting the side of your hd
(cause: pc wasn't level, or you tilted it while operating)
neither of those things was the case. My harddisks were mounted almost perfectly horizontally, and the pc/harddisk wasnt moving at all at the moment the crash occurred, im 100% sure.
i've looked around how to solve it, and it can't be.
there is special software which can address each cluster independently if there is still data on you need (is expensive), but the hd can't be fixed
even with special software recovery is impossible ;)
As soon as i only connect the harddisks to the power-supply (which is powered on) the disk starts clicking.

Anyhow, i have lost no important data aside from a couple of DVD's of live performances from some artists, my 80GB of mp3's, and 40GB of my DTS cd's...