HDTV Problem

MadCow809

Forum Addict
As some of you might know from my other thread that I've recently purchased a 40" Toshiba HDTV. It has been working flawlessly for me but there is a small issue. The HDTV works fine under "PC Mode", I can run the TV at 1680x1050 via the VGA cable, Vista also picks up the HDTV as a monitor. Picture quality is great, works just like a normal LCD screen. A nice 40" LCD for internet browsing and movies.

The problem is when I change it over to HDMI cable for higher resolution (1920x1080), the HDTV runs under "HDMI Mode" which works at 1920x1080 but it looks really grainy, kind of like TV signal and the picture isn't as clear. Also Vista will only pick it up as an external HDTV, not as a monitor. Judging from the picture, it looks like the TV treats the HDMI signal as an external signal, sort of like S-Video or AV, which is not the same as "PC Mode", where the TV works like a normal monitor without any hassle.

Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? I want to be able to use the HDMI cable so I can get full HD, but I can't get it to work without the picture quality looking like shit.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but have you tried changing the resolution on your TV? Mine has a one called dot-by-dot, and that's the only setting it displays properly on. Automatic or other resolution options don't work.

But may I ask why you don't use the HDMI cable all the time? All problems notwithstanding, you shouldn't need a VGA connection to make text legible. You should be able to get the 'big monitor' effect with an HDMI hookup.

Because it looks like shit when I hook it up with the HDMI, even under 1920x1080. It's kind of hard to describe, picture quality looks like S-Video in full HD mode, nice resolution, horrible to look at.

And the TV auto adjust the resolution, can't change it.

It looks like shit because you likely have to change what I said, though maybe resolution is the wrong term.

On my Sharp, there's a button on the remote called View Mode, and it gives you options such as strech, zoom, crop and dot-by-dot. All options except the last one are either cut off or stretched to fit, and look pretty jagged and rough.

I'm fairly sure you have to put it on the setting which just displays what it gets. As someone before said, read the manual. Whatever the name, there should be an option for it on your TV.

Edit: I read the fucking manual for you. Look at page 39, I think that's your issue.

Last edited:
wow. I'm speechless, you actually read the manual for me. :lol:

well thanks alot, really... I'm gonna go give that a try. will let you know how it turns out.

- edit : no, still not working, it only changes the aspect ratio and zoom in/out, it helped a bit but still looks like S-Video quality when compared with PC Mode via VGA cable. Also I don't have the option of dot-by-dot mode when using HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Do you have it set as PC Mode when you try to select dot-by-dot using HDMI?

Your manual says PC Mode is available with both HDMI and VGA hookups. Sorry I couldn't help, but this is something with a solution. You shouldn't have to run VGA for it to be usable for web browsing and other text-y stuff.

yeah I'm running PC-Mode with HDMI, dot-by-dot doesn't work under HDMI. I've gone through the menu countless of times now, I don't think there is a solution to it.

Picture Size is "Full" under VGA/ PC Mode, but I can't select "Full" for other modes, it's only available when I use VGA.

Well, I'm all out of ideas then. But keep looking, I'm certain there is a workaround to allow you to use HDMI full time.

you have to configure your computer for using the hdmi

i am not sure but you should check your computer setttings to see if you can change to hdmi

Do you have an Nvidia card MadCow? This is what my settings look like, and I selected 60Hz in the Windows monitor properties.

I don't recall installing drivers or anything, should be PnP.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2009/01/11/nvidiahdmi.jpg

Perhaps the fault/answer lies in your laptop/video card settings, not the TV. Mine runs on Vista Home and hooks up to my Sharp 1080p LCD tv with no issues or fuss. And the picture quality on the tv is what i'd expect for an external PC monitor.

yeah i've already gone through the ati control panel, nothing is really useful.

I just need to get the picture size to "FULL" setting under HDMI mode, problem is that I have the option of Natural, Widesreen & Zoom etc, "FULL" is the one I need, and it's not available.

I've fiddled through just about all the configurations in the ATI control panel as well. But I'll give it another shot.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited:
I went to their website and their knowledge center is pretty useless. I suggest

Customer Support
Phone: 1-800-631-3811
Email: Customer_Support@tacp.com

Just to see if they have a solution. Out of curiosity, what kind of HDMI cable are you using? Have you considered the possibility of a bad cable, or maybe updating drivers for your video card?