Headlight aim adjustment on skoda octavia -08 with xenons

Juge

Today I had to drive a skoda octavia -08 with xenon headlights. Those lights were truly badly aimed: Low beam was aimed so low, that it illuminated less than 15 meters, high beams seemed to only illuminate the treetops. I mentioned this to the owner and asked if he had tried to adjust those lights. He claimed that you couldn't manually adjust them and that you needed a computer to adjust the lights because the automatic height adjustment would break if you tried to manually adjust the aim. I looked around the headlight units, and found three hex socket heads, that looked like might be part of the adjustment mechanism (two visible from the front of the car, one visible from the engine compartment side.)

Now, what I would like to know is that would skoda be truly that stupid that they would design a headlight unit without proper manual aim adjustment mechanism and one that would need a computer for the adjustment. Or would it be possible to adjust the lights by simply starting the car, letting the lights do the up-down motion and then adjusting the aim with screwdriver? (about 1% down from horizontal)

If you have diagrams and pictures of the adjustment mechanism, that would be good.

edit: I have searched google, but it seems that for some reason I only get results that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual aiming procedure <_<

Last edited:
It is possible to do it manually by a set of screws but it is better to get it done in a garage (you need to set default position anyway and then fine adjust). At least you won't dazzle drivers in the opposite direction.